Good International Schools In Dubai

Topic locked
Good international schools in Dubai Aug 21, 2007
Hello,

We will be moving to Dubai from Singapore end of this year. I have a 5 year old kid who I want to send in a good international school there.

I see so many schools, and its quite confusing which one to go for...

Can someone suugest a good school please. Also advise if there is a waiting list?

Thanks

megha
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 21, 2007
there are many good international schools here. It also really depends on where you live or if you want to travel. Waiting lists are usually the case, so maybe put your name down at schools. Some to look at are Kings dubai, Wellington, Raffles, Repton, DES, but really you should google and then look at what they have to offer. Repton is brand new and taking enrolments, school is not yet opened but is a well known British school. Problem is it's out at Nad al sheba which is a bit of a drive from expat residential areas. Good luck.
Xander
Dubai Forums Member

Singapore School in Dubai Aug 21, 2007
I know that Raffles International School is run by a Singaporean management team. I heard that they will be running a Chinese 2nd language program like the ones in Singapore for Singaporean. You may want to call them up about it.
Pandora
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 25, 2007
Look for non-profit school as a first indication of somewhere decent. That's not to say profit making schools are bad, there are good ones.

GEMS and Beacon are two organisations that run several schools in Dubai. Beacon probably rate better.

I thought Raffles ownership changed to a local company? Don't know how that will affect things. The head has a good reputation though.

Here's a list of Schools in Dubai - some with random ratings.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 25, 2007
The first question: how much is your budget?

Some good schools starts from 700 AED per month (Elite English school, Apple International school, Dhiyafah, etc).
Others (being ridiculously expensive what so-called "Westernish" school) are up to 5000 AED per month. No no, not for college, but even for kindergarten!

The second question: where do you plan to live?

School complexes are located in Umm Hurrair, Deira near Al Mamzar park, and Al Ghusais. Unless you're Ok for your kid to commute.

After all, being in Dubai with about 85% of population are multi-national expats, ALL schools (except maybe local Arabic schools) are international schools, aren't they?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 26, 2007
Thank you all for your replies.

Initially we are planning to live in the heart of the city..maybe the Burjuman area as my husband's office will be close there.

I am not a Singaporean so Chinese is not an issue..but since my husband's job makes us move often..I prefer the British curriculam as it is easy to find one in every country.

Our budget..since she is only 5..and not in university...would not be a dramatic 5000Aed..probably around 2000 - 2500 a month. I could'nt find one where the fees were less than that!!

Any specific school someone can recommend..I mean who have their children going there...difficult to check so many school websites and judge them from that.
megha
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 26, 2007
The curriculum of schools in Dubai is apparently mixed up, you can't tell the difference especially for kindergarten level. And it doesn't always mean the school with "British" curriculum is the better one.

"British" curriculum school is not necessarily expensive. Example Oxford school in Al Ghusais for about 1000 AED per month. But I think you're late for admission as the new term will start next week. Probably wait for next term.

I just admitted my kid to Apple International school (kindergarten level) in Al Ghusais for about 700 AED per month. Supposedly a good school after recommendations. I don't really care about curriculum as she's just in kindergarten. Teaching method & social life are more important I think. I'll see.
My friend sent his kids (elementary level) for about 700 AED per month to Elite English school (in Deira). Also a good school.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum