What To Say At Immigration?

Topic locked
What to say at Immigration? Aug 12, 2007
Hi, I arrive soon to start work. I have no residence or work permit in place and my employer has said this will be dealt with upon arrival.

What can I say at immigration when i arrive in regards to my visa and permit status? I have a one way ticket, do i simply ask for a standard visit visa? I am worried if my employer should have made visa arrangements prior to my arrival. I am currently having my degrees attested etc so they will be ready when i arrive. I suppose it is important to have the correct stamp in my passport?

I am sure other people have arrived in similar circumstances, I am maybe paranoid now due the UK immigration service being so pedantic.

Hope someone can answer my questions/

BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 12, 2007
Just say hello.

If they ask further questions, tell them the truth.

You'll be fine.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 12, 2007
Don't worry.

As you arrive at Passport control that will automatically stamp you a 60 day visit visa. If they ask questions tell them the truth - you really have nothing to worry about with a British Passport!!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 12, 2007
Thank you very much for the responses, makes it one less thing to worry about.
BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 12, 2007
just tell them you are here looking for work, but I'm sure they wont ask if you are coming from UK.
Xander
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 12, 2007
BlueBear wrote:Thank you very much for the responses, makes it one less thing to worry about.

What else are you worrying about BlueBear - anything we can help with?
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 12, 2007
I am pretty much set up to come over now, really just tying up things in Blighty such as house, car, utilities etc. I still don't have a tenant lined up to rent my house so thats the main worry now, I cant imagine paying rent in dubai and paying my UK mortgage too!

I am hoping to see more of a reduction in rents, with all the apartments at JBR and Discovery Gardens etc coming on line I thought things would be driven down rent wise. Any evidence so far?
BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 12, 2007
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 12, 2007
Negotiation is the way. Don't be put off by pushy agents - you really can drive down the prices.

Good Luck.

Hope you find a UK tenant soon - it's always a worry to have an empty property.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 12, 2007
problem is a lot of appartments were bought off plan, so landlords have trippled their money. They are not as negotiable in rent as some may think, especially JBR suprisingly.
Xander
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 12, 2007
Liying is a depotable offence preceeded by a year in prison plus a lifetime ban.

Stay were you are. listen to me I have over 3,000 post so I must be smart, respected, knowledgeable and well meaning.

And remember: don't smoke, drink, or fornicate. Lying after you get thru is ok (might raise your "social" standing).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum