To All You Young Punks

Topic locked
To All You Young Punks Aug 09, 2007
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways .. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email! ! We had to actually write somebody a letter ....
with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and "asteroids" and the graphics sucked ass! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! . Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up . we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire ... imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid JiffyPop thing and shake it over the stove forever like a frigging idiot!

That's exactly what I'm talking about!
You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled.

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 09, 2007
ummm i remember the jiffy pop thing, i always had someone else do it

and atari hehehe, i had to fight my bro for that

how come you can say bastard without it being edited?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2007
welcome to da 21th century ppl
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 09, 2007
Fayz, who sent you the e-mail? Your grandson?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2007
Hey Fez, I still don't have half of those things you mentioned, since I learned to live without 'em. :D
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 09, 2007
To all Kids !

When we were kids , we were told that purpose of **** is to pee . But now kids know it before coming out in this world.

:lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 09, 2007
Cool post fayz - they just ain't made of the same stuff as our generation though.

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans. When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same. We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits. We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents. We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 09, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

I think you have abandonment issues.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 09, 2007
guys, all your posts here are like reminiscing of my childhood ... !!
those were the times when your friends talked about gf & bf stuff. these days friends talk about business, making money and making more money. Back then you received wedding invitations and baby showers. nowadays you hear more about your friends getting divorced !!

tsk tsk
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Old Punks Aug 09, 2007
Why do present middle-aged and old people keep whining about how spoilt young people are these days??

When you were living without technology, proper transportation, fast food, clean clothes, and all other 21st century innovations, you were all as spoilt as the present generation of youths because YOUR parents and grand parents lived even harsher ways of life!! They had NO technology whatsoever, NO transportation, unemployment was skyhigh, food was scarce, lack of hygiene, vaccinations, and proper medical care, world wars were goin on.... and so many other factors that made their lives and generations before them so difficult.

I am an 18 year-old myself and let me tell you, life aint so special with all this technology and diversity in our present society because this is what we were born with. We did not live hundreds of years to completely appreciate all that we have now. There will always be inventions and creations that would've made life much easier, even with all that we have now.

So please, take it easy on us with all your stupid comments and accusations of how spoilt we are, and just remember this : It was our forefathers that invented mobile phones, computers, videogames, and fast cars. Not us.
Rich Kid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 09, 2007
heres a kid taking things for granted.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Old Punks Aug 09, 2007
Rich Kid wrote: It was our forefathers that invented mobile phones, computers, videogames, and fast cars. Not us.

i feel like pulling ur cheeks kid. :lol:

fayz must be thinking that our forefathers shuld have used condems a lot. No kids no cry.
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Old Punks Aug 09, 2007
"Rich Kid"
We did not live hundreds of years to completely appreciate all that we have now.

You may not have, but others strived before you in order for you to have what you do today, so you should be thankfull for it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:heres a kid taking things for granted.

Yep. Bet the labourers are enjoying all this 21st-century technology.

Do I hear "Enough with the labourers already!"?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 11, 2007
out of all the things posted....

Those damned 'project reports' that we had to do.... labour over tons of books and be so careful so as not to plagarise and so on.... nowadays... get on the net... and 'get a paper'... from a 'friend' on the other side of the world....

Oh and ofcourse.. we would have to actually know all teh rghit seplllnigs and such... we didn't have SPELL CHECK :@ ... and if we made mistakes... whilst typing our papers... in most cases we would have to write it all out again... *sigh*

Spoilt brats these days... still complain... !

BITTER???? WHO ME???????????? :lol:
the.eternal.truth
Dubai Forum User

Aug 11, 2007
We had to use pencils, not computers or even pens, and when they broke, we were too cheap to use a pencil sharpener, so we had to chew them sharp.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 13, 2007
Funny.

I agree with your post, but it seems to me that “no offence” you were a geek as a kid! Lol

I mean, going to the library, “I use to wait until kids like you come back and copy” lol

Writing a letter and send it through mail?!!!! “I was busy doing………………… lets just say other stuff” lol

And lets look at it from different angel, how extremely difficult is it going to be for this generation when they grow up, you can see how life became now a days, forget about play station, am talking about electricity! Forget about internet, am talking about jobs! I just don’t know what are they going to do in the future,,,, it aint goin to be easy though!
TheUnReal-
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 13, 2007
TheUnReal- wrote:Writing a letter and send it through mail?!!!! “I was busy doing………………… lets just say other stuff” lol

Wanking?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 13, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:heres a kid taking things for granted.

I don't take things for granted, I'm just a realist with a positive attitude.
All truth no bull. You should value what I say.. It's hard to find positive thinkers these days.. :wink:
Rich Kid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Old Punks Aug 13, 2007
sage & onion wrote:"Rich Kid"
We did not live hundreds of years to completely appreciate all that we have now.

You may not have, but others strived before you in order for you to have what you do today, so you should be thankfull for it.

I am thankful, and so should others be. But I will not ignore the people who believe that their generation suffered the most blah blah and try to make us feel bad about ourselves with their ridiculous complaints about their past lives. What about what WE have to go through? What about OUR children? our families? our jobs? We will have to take as much responsibility as they did. No less.
Rich Kid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 13, 2007
Umm I think this was a light hearted thread that got out of hand, it was a joke email that someone sent me. I got a laugh and posted it.

I remember my dad saying how easy I have it and I’m sure I'll say the same thing to my kid, pressures in life will change but I agree kids today don't have it easier, just a different kind of challenge.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 13, 2007
:lol:

You have to say, it was a good argument.
Rich Kid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 13, 2007
Good points you have there..

However, i am sure work was easier before as you wouldnt get all emails at the same time asking you to do all kinds of reports and analysis and business plans, and i am sure that you wouldnt get lots of mail either.

The harder it is to ask you to do something, the less people would ask, right?
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 13, 2007
hamadl wrote:The harder it is to ask you to do something, the less people would ask, right?
ohhhh the innocence of youth, only if that were true.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 13, 2007
it is known that whatever people do (no matter how easy), they always make is sound VERY difficult!!
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 13, 2007
hahahaha, good point, I've put in a grueling 912 hour work day in, may have to call it quits soon
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 14, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
TheUnReal- wrote:Writing a letter and send it through mail?!!!! “I was busy doing………………… lets just say other stuff” lol

Wanking?

You would think wouldnt you.... :)
TheUnReal-
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat