Getting A Taxi-for The Innitial Period

Topic locked
getting a taxi-for the innitial period Nov 04, 2005
hey guys...
how y'all doing...its friday...that means paaarrty..over here in hong kong...hope all of you are celebrating EID!!...my time to come draws closer and so do some practical concerns...i am wondering...whats the best way to approach travel to and fro from dubai media city...if i live in the springs/greens/nearby...i have seen on the threads that taxis there can be quite rude if its a short ride...and had some mates who have lived in dubai tell me...there is a concept called the "pathan" drivers...who you can practially hire for a month to drive you to and fro as they are private drivers and will do that for a fee...any truth in this?...and whats the best way to con a taxi into taking me for a short ride to and fro from DMC...since i will have to learn driving /pass a test/get a car...that'll take at least 6 months i anticipate...any thoughts... :D

constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: getting a taxi-for the innitial period Nov 04, 2005
constantine wrote:hey guys...
how y'all doing...its friday...that means paaarrty..over here in hong kong...hope all of you are celebrating EID!!...my time to come draws closer and so do some practical concerns...i am wondering...whats the best way to approach travel to and fro from dubai media city...if i live in the springs/greens/nearby...i have seen on the threads that taxis there can be quite rude if its a short ride...and had some mates who have lived in dubai tell me...there is a concept called the "pathan" drivers...who you can practially hire for a month to drive you to and fro as they are private drivers and will do that for a fee...any truth in this?...and whats the best way to con a taxi into taking me for a short ride to and fro from DMC...since i will have to learn driving /pass a test/get a car...that'll take at least 6 months i anticipate...any thoughts... :D

The pathan drivers you refer to used to drive the white private taxis. Those taxis have been long since replaced by government and other private taxi companies in Dubai. So, it will be hard finding the pathan drivers.

However, what you could do is just have a chat with some taxi drivers anytime you can stop one at Media city and just ask them if you can work out an arrangement with them. They would give you their mobile number so you can contact them directly. So give this a shot. Be warned though that their willingness to travel these short distances will depend on:

1. How much you pay them

2. How much traffic there actually is when you want to travel (I can almost assure you they will not accept your offer during peak rush times, where even if the actual distance is small (10 km for example), it can take well close to 45 minutes to reach your destination).

Hope this helps.. Good luck :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Same Problem Nov 05, 2005
Will be in Dubai after 2 weeks + and will need transportation till i get my license which i'm not optimistic about despite i'm a good driver and all my friends got it from the first time. so...

If i needed a driver as constantine, but for my case, i'll be in Sharjah, and work is in Jabal Ali. what can i do, pathan? hired taxis? is there drivers with their private cars that i can hire?

one last thing, if i failed the test in the first time, what is the time to get another test?

Thank you
yshimy

Re: Same Problem Nov 05, 2005
yshimy wrote:W

If i needed a driver as constantine, but for my case, i'll be in Sharjah, and work is in Jabal Ali. what can i do, pathan? hired taxis? is there drivers with their private cars that i can hire?

Did I read this correctly??? You will be living in Sharjah and working in Jebel Ali???? WTF man!!! :shock:

Do you have ANY idea how long it is gonna take you to get to and from work???? DA DA DA DAMN!!!! :oops:

2 hours during rush hour (one way) my friend... Hope you have nerves of steel... You will need them :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 05, 2005
Yeah as Liban said, good luck with that. Also many taxi drivers are refusing to go inter-emirates at rush hour as obviously if you have a Sharjah taxi to Dubai it is illegal for him to pick up a fare in Dubai then go back to Sharjah again and vise versa with the Dubai taxis.

The best thing is to find someone who also works in Dubai and lives in Sharjah and see if you can get a lift for some petrol money maybe.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Liban wrote:

Did I read this correctly??? You will be living in Sharjah and working in Jebel Ali???? WTF man!!! :shock:

Do you have ANY idea how long it is gonna take you to get to and from work???? DA DA DA DAMN!!!! :oops:

2 hours during rush hour (one way) my friend... Hope you have nerves of steel... You will need them :)

That or go via Emirates Road. Much better than taking the regular route but be prepared for one long ass drive to Jebel Ali.. it is quite draining on a daily basis..!
jag
Dubai forums Addict

jag wrote:
Liban wrote:

That or go via Emirates Road. Much better than taking the regular route but be prepared for one long a#s drive to Jebel Ali.. it is quite draining on a daily basis..!

yes take the emirates road route its totally faster going that way but its gonna be a long one !!!!! and just a friendly advice if your going to stay with this company for a long time then better get a drivers liscense cause its gonna cost you big time to get from home to work your looking at a minimum 100 DH per day .... i hope your salary is atleast double that
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 05, 2005
there are buses that you can pay a couple of hundred dirhams monthly from avis or others that take you from sharjah, or diera, or wherever in dubai to/from dubai internet/media city

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Nov 05, 2005
First, thank you all for the advices, i'll try each single scheme.

Second, i'll stay in Sharjah as i'll get free accomodation with a relative. and yes i'll use the emirates road, i was told it will take me from 45-60 min one way, so no issue for me. hope i get enjoyable car.

Third, The company is getting me a hotel for a month till i find accomodation, if i found a cheap one i might stay there near jabal ali, and in April i might take a bigger place and i share it with my relative as it is the time he should renew his sharjah place contract. and i'll pay the difference, hope that would be economical.

Last, i hope i pass the driving test in the first go as otherwise i'll be in shitty situation.

one last question, what is the best place to stay in if i'm working in Jabal ali, my dream is to live 10-20 min away from workplace :) been suffering of 45-60 min drive to work since i started my pro career.
cheers mates
yshimy

Nov 05, 2005
Depends on how much you wanna pay and what type of environment/domicile you want....

There are Meadows, Ranches, Greens, Marina, Springs, Green Community, DIP....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

bus services to dmc Nov 05, 2005
hey guys
so can anyone confirm for sure if there are any regular buses/private buses running to and fro from DMC...to perhaps the greens/springs/meadows...and jag thanks for the info mate!...how was everyones EID celebrations...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat