Ford Escape Vs Edge

Topic locked
Ford Escape vs Edge Jul 08, 2007
Anyone has any comment about the new 2008 Escape vs Edge?

2008 Escape: 3L.V6 4WD
Edge: 3.5L V6 AWD

Went for a test drive over the weekend. AC seems to be ok for both. Smooth driving. Relatively noiseless cars. Good safety features with the new models. As both cars are new, any feedback so far??

Cheers.

BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jul 08, 2007
Just one is more expensive than the other. Neither goes offroad. And engine specs tell you which is faster.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 08, 2007
I haven't driven the Escape but I drove the Edge and was impressed. I ended up buying something else but overall i like the look and handling, I doubt it'd be able to do more than park on a sidewalk when required, but I like GTMash's review, you can't sum it up any better.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 08, 2007
I'd have to disagree with 'gtmash' on the off road bit, I'm afraid. Both cars have capability, being 4WD and AWD respectively - like all other four wheel drives, it will depend largely on your skill and the combination of that capability, as to how far off road you will get them.

I have not yet driven either of the cars but I know a man who has, and he believes that they are both fine, though the Escape has more off road capability than the Edge. Neither is a Land Cruiser, or a Jeep of course, but with a bit of care and a weather eye, there is no reason why you should not enjoy either car's ability providing you are prepared to learn them first.

I've had Honda MRVs and both AWD Volvos off road, and in quite deep on tracks through the desert, and the Jeep Compass, which is one of their non 'Trail Rated' models, out in the boondocks as well. All are fine provided you don't make them work beyond their capabilities.

And as with any 4x4, never go out on your own unless you are fully prepared for the consequences.

If you want to know how to drive in the desert, give Peter Gladstone a ring on 050 4782985 - he runs off road driving courses for any make or model.
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 08, 2007
Thanks for the input Autodrone. Personally I have never been a fan of Ford. However with the new models they are both great on safety - such as 4-wheel independent suspension, air bag all around. Thats a big thumbs up.

Whilst a 4WD is handy in this city, I probably wont do more than climbing the street curbs, park on sand & go through construction sites!

The other plus on the Edge is the moonroof, dual temp control, larger wheel ... but is it worth the extra 34k ?!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto