All Wheeler Or Coupe ?

Topic locked
All Wheeler or coupe ? Oct 19, 2005
All,
i'm moving to dubai, and looking forward to buy a sporty car.
I'm shattared between buying an All Wheeler 4x4 or Coupe?
I love both, i want something fast and trendy, car that i can't drive in my homeland (Egypt) taxes are 235 % for cars above 2000 cc.

I wanted to get a sports coupe' but considering the amount of accidents, i'm now thinking of getting an All Wheeler then a sports coupe' after couple of years when i have a better vision and expiereince in Dubai Driving Style. (although Egyptian driving style is not the premium)

I was thinking of something like the Lumina SS coupe', or CLK , Beemer 3-series, or somehting of that sort USED. My range is up to 100 K Max.

For the all Wheelers i think now about Durango, Grand Cherokee, or Trail Blazer.

Still open for other models, what do you suggest, i know fuel will be problem with these huge cars, but who cars, gotta enjoyu living.

Tell me your opinion, also tell me which dealers are good for service and which are good if i want to buy used car.

Thank you.. oh s**t , that is one long post

yshimy

Oct 19, 2005
I see most of your choices are Yank crap!

I am told in other Arab countries these hold there re-sale value pretty well, but they DO NOT in Dubai. If you buy one, even second hand, you take a big loss if you re-sell it.

For 100K you will get a very nice car, american that is, not Euro or Jap (new models). You can discount ya Beamer straight away, Lumina is about the nicest you will get, esp the SS Coupe, at in excess of 300bhp with 6 spped manual transmission and seats that you would rather have in your living room than your car. They are a very nice car.

I am sometimes jealous of 4x4's, as they can cruise along the road, see a nice sand-dune and off they go, on;y to return back onto the road and continue the journey, what it must be, esp when you are limited to tarmac only! But, when you can take corners at twice the speed of the 4x4's and and feel the car beneath you holding the road, the grin factor is huge!

It is a tough choice, if I had mine again, I think I would still go for a coupe/sports car.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2005
First, Yorky, The Chevy lumina SS coupe is not American, it is Holden monaro but they put on it the chevy emblams. so it is Aussie car (Australian).
You are totally right, i would like to have the Lumina SS coupe, but i still think to take it as used 2/3 years with low milage, i can spare 25 k i think but not sure. but i'm not sure about the good service in Dubai.

Beemer, well, come on, it is a BEEMER, the best thing is the sports coupe, with low fuel consumption even with the 330ci vs. the hungry 5.7 engine of the chevy.

OK, to be truthful to you, if they broke even in intial price, to the hell with the fuel consumption, i'd like to own a 328 HP under my car hood.

still.... crashing dunes is something i would like to do. if i got the money, i'd go for Porsche Cayyenne Turbo. 911 preformance, with the size of a villa.

still needs more opinions, prices, dealers, suggestions, other cars, experience, etc.
Thanks yorky for replying :) you have been harsh on me ;)
yshimy

Oct 20, 2005
Ok, agree with you about the Lumina, it is based on the Holden, but it is still seen as a Yank car!

I looked at somany cars when I was trying to decide which car to go for. I am talking coupes only: Lumina SS Coupe, M3 (2nd hand), 350Z, S4, GT3 (2nd Hand).

Best bang for buck was the 350Z, which I bought brand new. GT3 (2000 model) were like Dhs220, M3 (2003) were like Dhs160K and they were second hand.

Don't worry about the price of petrol, it is CHEAP, even with the increase they have just imposed on us here.

I still say stay away from Yank cars.

Z4 are way over priced. I do agree with you, the 330Ci is a nice car, but you will find it hard to get a cra here with low mileage.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2005
woooo the 350Z is a very nice car, how much you paid for it?

well, so you do agree about getting 330ci great. i think it is good in depreciacian too.

i'll keep looking for low milage one, got a month or more to go.

any help with what agencies are good and not overpriced. i saw a huge discripency among agencies.
yshimy

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto