Rules We Ought To Live By In UAE?

Topic locked
Rules we ought to live by in UAE? Oct 10, 2005
I 'm a Filipino considering to work/live there.
Can anyone kindly enumerate what and what not to do when living in UAE?
i.e. dress codes
public displays of affection
interacting with other nationalities
dangerous areas
and others

if there is a site where all this can be reviewed, please link me to it.
Thanks so much!

mylunarcry
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Rules we ought to live by in UAE? Oct 11, 2005
mylunarcry wrote:I 'm a Filipino considering to work/live there.
Can anyone kindly enumerate what and what not to do when living in UAE?
i.e. dress codes
public displays of affection
interacting with other nationalities
dangerous areas
and others

if there is a site where all this can be reviewed, please link me to it.
Thanks so much!

1= You should not come out at Mall with swimming costume otherwise its okay!

2= according to UAE law “ Kissing is totally forbidden at public places (e.g malls ,transports). Well you can demonstrate certain amount of affection as long as it is in limits ".

3= Interact with others just check the number plates , as long as it is not Red , you are most welcome , otherwise " one way ticket from airport".

4= satwa ,i heard it is dangerous area of Dubai.

Disclaimer “ These information are correct until 22 GMT October 11,2005. At the end of expiration date , HP or major pain wouldn’t be responsible for any mishap :P
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 11, 2005
What red plates stand for?
Etoundi
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 11, 2005
My understanding is that red are government/embassy officials. The ones that look the same but are yellow are for consulates.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Crimes Oct 12, 2005
Is it true that drugs and prostitution are rampant in UAE? What about "sexual" harassment?
On the side, are there any apartments/rooms worth Dhs1000 you might recommend? thanks!
Where is satwa and what goes on there?

You are currently celebrating Ramadan, are there any restrictions that other nationalities should observe during this time? Do they get on with work still?
mylunarcry
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 13, 2005
While completely illegal, Dubai is a mini-metropolis and all activities take place. But I wouldn't sit down in a park and toke up if I were you.

There's very little fun harassment. But my fiancee visited a few months ago and when she went to the shops she was wearing a strap-top, and one guy crashed his pushbike into the back of a police car whilst looking at her. She found it amusing, not threatening. There's very little actual assault here.

Check out any of the maps for the location of Satwa. It is the area NW of interchange 2. Doesn't have the highest reputation in town but ok. Good place for room-renting. If you get there check the noticeboard in Lal's supermarket (open 24 hours) for accommodation.

Ramadan isn't exactly 'celebrated' - it is 'observed'.

It is Dubai law that nobody can eat or drink in public during daylight hours. Although I haven't heard of anybody actually getting arrested in Dubai, the police in Sharjah and Abu Dhabi have been known to take a harder line. 'Be respectful' is the motto. Oh - and although most bars are open (if they're not closed for refurbishment) drinks are only served after 7pm, and there's no music.

In Dubai you can _buy_ food at most normal outlets (in Qatar you can't buy anything anywhere). I guess Sharjah & Abu Dhabi are a little stricter? Just take your food away from the petrol station in a plastic bag. Don't sit in your car at the edge of the road and eat a sandwich - get back to the office/home.

Actually it is no hassle really (not here in Dubai)

Oh - and it probably isn't the best month of the year to stroll round near mosques with a mini-skirt and string T-shirt :)

HTH - S
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2005
just don't come in Ramadan and finish it off. Or u know what? Fast is better for u…lol

Don’t worry, Satwa is not bad place. It has been known as bad very long time ago as Dubai’s gangs and thrifts used to hide there…lol… but now there is nothing from that sort. In Satwa u can find rooms for 2000 dhs, but for 1000 only u can share.

Nowadays it seems your time Philippino. The government open-ended doors for all races to come to Dubai to balance (as claimed).
Lee
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat