7 Wonders Of The World

Topic locked
7 wonders of the world Sep 24, 2005
Has anyone heard about this?

Apparently as part of a new project they're going to build a residential city that includes life sized replicas of the current 7 wonders of the world.

Another useless waste of money, I say go travel and see the real ones.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 24, 2005
if it is true, it gonna attract a lot of tourists coming around... i don't think you won't tourists around the residential area.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: 7 wonders of the world Sep 25, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:Has anyone heard about this?

Apparently as part of a new project they're going to build a residential city that includes life sized replicas of the current 7 wonders of the world.

Another useless waste of money, I say go travel and see the real ones.

hey!
I totally agree with you, there is no charm in fakes?!
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 25, 2005
ya i think i heard about it too ..

u know what although this sounds very retarded, you know that people around the globe will still talk about it, and it will create more buzz about Dubai. This has been the strategy since Burj Al Arab .. build things that will create publicity and hence bring tourists .. thats all .. simple marketing 101 ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2005
all these projects may be a good strategy for marketing dubai...but before all these projetcs dubai authorities shud concentrate on public infrastructure.....frankly speaking i have seen a lot of countries...but public transport is the worst in dubai....besides because of not having this public transport we get traffic problems ....i hate it when it takes one hour to reach my office in the morning.... :x
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 25, 2005
MaaaD wrote:ya i think i heard about it too ..

u know what although this sounds very retarded, you know that people around the globe will still talk about it, and it will create more buzz about Dubai. This has been the strategy since Burj Al Arab .. build things that will create publicity and hence bring tourists .. thats all .. simple marketing 101 ;)

thats true !!!

and

replicas ... are cool though ... and i will also be good for those who cant afford to go and see the real ones ... but they are here living in dubai ... thats nice i say its ok ....
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: 7 wonders of the world Oct 03, 2005
[quote="Chocoholic"]

Another useless waste of money, I say go travel and see the real ones.[/quote]

I'd love to travel and visit The Statue of Zeus at Olympia and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and all the others, if they were still standing.
franco80
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 05, 2005
Exactly! Replicas of something like a 'the great wall of china' or 'Eiffel tower' is Irrational.
The Taj Mahal, portraits spirit of true love, built by the Mughal Emperor Shahjahan in the memory of his beloved dead wife Mumtaz. The tomb of those two great lovers rest their in the monument. Where would they get that from? It was built in 1633 by as many as 20,000 workers who worked for 17 years! It was the time when there were no machines, so most skilled architects, calligraphers from India, Persia and Turkey did the craft and carving!

Or say the Mummy’s In ‘Pyramids’. Your not thinking, if you say that you can go to replicas because you cant afford/or don’t have the time to see the world….where is the history that is related to the monument? The culture attached to it, the essence of people who made them?

Imagine going to a vacation to one of the places where the 7 wonders are, or imagine driving through the busy streets of Dubai in a car & going for replicas?? Lol

ciao
easternjewel

Oct 05, 2005
Easternjewel, I totally agree with you.

It just seems like a cheap, crass idea. You know why don't they come up with something original.

Dubai is verging on the ridiculous.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 07, 2005
Choco ..

You think its a waste of money and time .. but I am thinking that in Belguim there is the same project, and I when I was at Belguim for tourism, they took me to visit that spot, and I think it was interesting!

Dubai will surely make something much better than the one in Belguim ..
And its not like competing with the countries that has 7 wonders, in fact it only will give it more good reputation and add to it more fame.

People here are working hard to do something. Studies are done and engineers meet for days to set a proper plan to work on more interesting tourist spots, and then you come and say its waste of time and money is not a polite thing to say :shock: ...
symmetric
BANNED

Oct 09, 2005
I don't think people understood what I meant.

6 out of the seven wonders of the world are no longer standing.

The Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China are not 3 of the Seven Wonders of the world.

Its just a marketing gimick like 90% of what is built in Dubai. Personally I dont see what the problem is with it, It would be interesting if they are going to be EXACT replicas of what was built.

I would prefer that the money was spent on public transport and infrastructure but that aint really gonna happen
franco80
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 09, 2005
http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Nation ... eID=153305

Published: 24/2/2005, 06:15 (UAE)

CONMAN PAVES WAY TO JAIL WITH SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD

By Bassam Za'za', Staff Reporter
Dubai: A conman who swindled a Saudi-based investment company out of Dh13 million in a property scam has been jailed for a year.

The 34-year-old Briton, identified as Maz Akhtar of Pakistani origin, tricked the Saudi owner and his UAE national partner by offering them fictitious properties in a Dubai investment project called the Seven Wonders of the World.

Akhtar rented a deluxe office in a hotel in Dubai and drove a Ferrari. He advertised his project widely and threw an extravagant dinner in a famous Dubai hotel for potential clients.

Complainants told police they came to know about the project during the real estate exhibition CityScape, which took place in Dubai in November. The project was displayed on one of the stands.

The Dubai Court of First Instance sentenced him to a year in prison. He will be deported after serving his jail term.

Sources at Dubai Justice Department said more than eight cases had been filed against Akhtar. The victims are seeking at least Dh20 million.

Dubai police have also arrested three other Britons along with a Syrian, Jordanian and an Indian for their alleged involvement in other scams run by Akhtar.

According to sources, Akhtar offered property projects in Dubai and Sharjah.
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2005
well i think its agood idea ..this will make dubai more famose and many people will be atracted..
good thinking
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 10, 2005
Can you just imagine ... somewhere on the Al Ain Road ... coming soon to a neighbourhood near you;

IBN BATTUTA 2 - WoW (Wonders of the World)

Choose from one of our seven characterless car parks, each entered via a different wonder of the world.

Drive your jeep through the Legs of Zeus

Take your pickup down the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Each characterless hyped-up shopping area (each with its own coffee shop) will have a cheap paint job and some tinsel to remind you of the various Wonders of the World.

We will use green tinsel, and call this the Hanging Gardens of Babylon Court.

We will use grey paint (same colour as stone - wot they use in statues) and call this the Gates To Rhodes Court"

Ad infinitum.

Ad nauseum.

Naw ... Dubai ain't got soul - never will have - but at least with modern buildings it is capturing a zeitgeist. Ibn Battuta - and similar stuff - will be gathering dust in a couple of years ... things like this add no value to Dubai.

Dubailand? Yes - it is designed and marketed as a theme park, so no problem - but do you think it would be a good idea to put a Hump on top of a Camry so that it becomes a cultural 'Dubai Taxi" ?!?!?

Anyway - the original story was a fake, so it would be a brave person who tries the idea again!!

- S
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2005
LOL ! Now that was funny! but it was a good one.....
So much is coming to Dubai that we people (who live here) do not hesitate on not believing about such projects! & why not.... its Dubai! :roll:
easternjewel

Oct 13, 2005
Symmetric, we're all entitled to our opinions and that's what the forum's about.

Dubai is growing so fast and yet it still lacks even some basic infrastructures that are required in large cities, like decent transport systems, back-ups for power failures etc etc.

Money should be spent on making the basic facilities right before embarking on hair brained ideas.

And WHO works hard, oh you mean the Indians, Asians, Pakistanis, Philipinoes who break their backs to build these wonderful things and get treated like dirt?!

And they aren't talking about the 7 wonders of the ANCIENT world.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat