Dubai Shopping, Prices?

Topic locked
Dubai shopping, prices? Apr 07, 2003
How is shopping in dubai?
How are prices in comparison to Europe, US?
I heard that there are no taxes and prices should be quite low.

Artisto
Dubai Forums Member

May 05, 2003
Actualy prices are quite high.
But it depends where and what you are buying.
In comparison with London prices are OK.
In comparison to Eastern Europe food is very expensive.
Computer prices are OK but I thought it will be cheaper because there are no taxes. Also computers market isn't very developed this is my humble opinion.
You can find cheap clothes in Dubai but sometimes there quality isn't very good. You can also find top brands with top prices.
Iris
Dubai Forum Admin

Oct 10, 2009
Iris,
{1] Are you still in Dubai?
[2] Are you still alive, even??

If so WHAT ARE PRICES LIKE NOW?? YOU LAST POSTED IN MAY 2003 ......so I THOUGHT I'D PICK UP AN OLD THREAD!!

A LOT OF WATER HAS GONE DOWN THE CREEK SINCE MAY 2003..................AND A LOT OF BUSINESSES HAVE GONE UP THE CREEK !!!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
RedKite wrote:Iris,
{1] Are you still in Dubai?
[2] Are you still alive, even??

If so WHAT ARE PRICES LIKE NOW?? YOU LAST POSTED IN MAY 2003 ......so I THOUGHT I'D PICK UP AN OLD THREAD!!

A LOT OF WATER HAS GONE DOWN THE CREEK SINCE MAY 2003..................AND A LOT OF BUSINESSES HAVE GONE UP THE CREEK !!!!!

way to revive a 6 year old thread.

oh and someone please ban this fool.
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2009
Iris wrote:Actualy prices are quite high.
But it depends where and what you are buying.
In comparison with London prices are OK.
In comparison to Eastern Europe food is very expensive.
Computer prices are OK but I thought it will be cheaper because there are no taxes. Also computers market isn't very developed this is my humble opinion.
You can find cheap clothes in Dubai but sometimes there quality isn't very good. You can also find top brands with top prices.

Hi Iris,

Goodness me, you have to be one of the first, havn't seen you on before. Welcome back :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 10, 2009
Getting gack to the topic...................

I actually hate shopping here!!! Overprice defective goods, or last year's "latest". And if you are 20 years old, there is a great selection of children's clothing.

Don't know about Europe, but I go on a shopping spree when I go back to the States (NY). Love going to the outlets, getting good leather shoes at reasonable prices, etc., etc.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 11, 2009
prices in UAE are a RIP OFFFFFF. Everyone thinks that because there are no taxs prices will be cheap but instead thats a gimick. Mobiles are more expensive then UK or even USA. Food is cheap though and huge variety of it available. Electronics are expensive when compared to other countries so are clothes.

and the service is RUBBBISH. Piece of advice if anyone is thinking of moving to UAE, do get your household electronics from UK, USA or Europe. I had a bad experience with Al Futtaim guys in dubai selling household electronics.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 11, 2009
Electronics can be a nightmare with certain stores selling 'brought back' items as new. I've had two mates buy laptops only to find files and passwords from previous users. Plus in other countries you get all the software as part of the package, here you have to buy it in addition to the hardware.

You have to really shop around and do your homework to get good deals.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 11, 2009
[quote="Chocoholic"]Electronics can be a nightmare with certain stores selling 'brought back' items as new. I've had two mates buy laptops only to find files and passwords from previous users. Plus in other countries you get all the software as part of the package, here you have to buy it in addition to the hardware.

Edited - MOD
medvezhonok3
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 11, 2009
medvezhonok3 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Electronics can be a nightmare with certain stores selling 'brought back' items as new. I've had two mates buy laptops only to find files and passwords from previous users. Plus in other countries you get all the software as part of the package, here you have to buy it in addition to the hardware.

You have to really shop around and do your homework to get good deals.

Edited - MOD

Where abouts in her post did she say she had bought a refurbished laptop?

Your'e sounding like a complete retard!

Play nice or move on.
expatwanabe
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 11, 2009
Edited - MOD
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 11, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Edited - MOD

Sage, are you editing yourself??? LOL
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 11, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

Well in days gone by it was known as talking to oneself, now it's typing to oneself. LOL
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 11, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Well in days gone by it was known as talking to oneself, now it's typing to oneself. LOL

and it usually happens to people who are getting old :D

;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 11, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

and it usually happens to people who are getting old :D

;)

RB, I'm sure that's something you don't think you will experience as you have yet to leave your childhood mentality. There is a saying: youth is wasted on the young.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 12, 2009
Don't worry, Sage is just getting confused with this 6 year old thread !!

Like everyone else......he's 6 years older!!

G to tha T ,
Don't knock .... this is USEFUL .....why not compare those 2003 Dubai prices with those of 2009 ???

Is Iris still around ??
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 12, 2009
RedKite wrote:Don't worry, Sage is just getting confused with this 6 year old thread !!

Like everyone else......he's 6 years older!!

G to tha T ,
Don't knock .... this is USEFUL .....why not compare those 2003 Dubai prices with those of 2009 ???

Is Iris still around ??

It's actually a good idea, as far as I am concerned the price of my shopping trolley on the weekend has probably increased by 60 - 70%
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 12, 2009
From 2003 to 2009? I thought it might be even more in that period!!

Whereas in 2003, Dubai was REALLY STEAMING !! Property money was being made hand over fist!! You could probably have bought ANYTHING in 2003 and made big profits by 2007 !!!....Even by 2005 !!

DIFFERENT STORY NOW !! FOR EVERY WINNER IN LIFE, THERE MUST BE THE CORRESPONDING LOSER ...... WHO HAS BEEN CAUGHT !!

As the song goes.......".You've got to KNOW when to hold 'em !! And KNOW when to fold 'em .........'til the dealin's done !!!!!!!!"
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat