Probation Period

Topic locked
Probation period Oct 05, 2005
Hi again! :-)

I have one more question regarding Labour Law in UAE.

My girl-friend will have a probation period of six months.
Can she (like the employer) also quit within the first six months without obtaining a ban? I could sponsor her in that case because we are going to marry in the UAE, but could it be possible that she is not allowed to work for six months if she quits her job?

Thanks for any answers.

Ben

bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 05, 2005
Many people think that a probation period is 'unfair' - however in many ways it offers (especially if you're 'new from overseas') several advantages;

- you are not 'committed' to an employer until you get to know them. So for the first six months (both of) you have the get-out clause.

If your g/f's employer wanted to create problems then they probably could - but this is rare in practice. Still, there are a number of people who arrive in town with Employer A and then use that time to look around for a 5% better job. _This_ isn't a professional approach and the UAE marketplace is quite small.

Your g/f can go for it without worry!

HTH - Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Prob periods Oct 07, 2005
I've been told that some employers in the UAE have even longer probation periods like nine months or even one year.
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2005
I have just joined a company and subsequently quit, they have completely butt raped me in regards to contractual agreement, I have had to pay (today in fact) just over a thousand pounds, 7000 dhs, in order to get out of contract. Two pieces of information I wish I had 2 months ago are.

1. Do NOT work for an arabic company.

2. Absolutely do NOT hand in your passport (i was told it was to process visa)

The company has basically banned me working for 6 months in the UAE and when I challenged them in regards to the contract payments they registered me as absconded after they left one message on my answer machine and then threatened to call the police. Do not trust arabic companies, the best advice I can give you is that to make sure the job your going for is SOUNDPROOF! before you sign anything! Hope this helps!
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 10, 2005
Sorry to hear what happened to you Al.

You provided everyone with good advice though......make sure you read everything before you sign it.

Hopefully you'll find something that will better suit you.

Best of luck!!!!!

PS/ Weren't you working for the new ski resort?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 11, 2005
Have to be careful about what I say but.....yes, I was. Have found a great new job now anyway here in Media City, Dubai so things are picking up. Just cant emphasise - when your going for a job here with an arabic company you have to realise they basically own you, and they will treat you like they do aswell! Make sure you get medical insurance, (im with BUPA) the hospitals here are'nt all so good, although there are two very good ones. If you are employed by an arabic company, make sure that the contract states entitlement to a letter of no objection within a month or so of employment, which means you can work in the UAE if you realise you have made a mistake (still end up paying flights, visa costs, recruitment costs etc). Please pm me if you want any more info because ive seriously learnt the hard way!
SkierAL
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 13, 2005
Sorry to hear what happened to you SkierAl!!

I will be moving to Dubai soon...(hopefully)!...I have been offered an ok job. I am tired of waiting and I'm thinking of going for it.

Are Companies generally ok if you asked them for a probation period? I am dreading the idea of compromising for 2 years and hating it after 3 months! Do you reccon it would be ok to ask them about thei transfer policies? :?

I can't afford to get banned 6 months from working in Dubai, specially when I wont be there alone, my husband will be working too!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!! :wink:
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 13, 2005
Also another important point, is make sure you get the arabic version of your contract translated, don't just go by the eniglish version they give you, as there can be extra clauses and stuff in the arabic version.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 28, 2005
Good information....also, I seem to recall hearing that the labor laws could be different in the FreeZone and non-Free Zone areas of Dubai?

Ravi
my_z3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 28, 2005
What would happen if after 3 months your boss is a loonie and you hate your colleagues?!? :evil: .....would you be able to ask to inculde a clause in your contract that mentions that you are free to look for a new placement within the first 3 months?... or something like that? :?

Do you think companies would be happy if you asked for something of the sort? Would it affect your application process? :roll:

:?:

Buca, x
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 28, 2005
Buca,

Or, there is always the option of joining the loonie bunch :lol:

Ravi
my_z3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 28, 2005
Can anyone tell me if the laws are different for the Freezone areas? If so what are they?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Probation Oct 29, 2005
bucammra wrote:What would happen if after 3 months your boss is a loonie and you hate your colleagues?!? :evil: .....would you be able to ask to inculde a clause in your contract that mentions that you are free to look for a new placement within the first 3 months?... or something like that? :?

Do you think companies would be happy if you asked for something of the sort? Would it affect your application process? :roll:

:?:

Buca, x
    Very difficult to say without knowing whether you will be coming on an employment visa or a residence visa(you did say your husband would also be working here right?) If you come on an employment visa then you might be stuck with the company for a year at least, provided you fall into certain category. If you fall into a different category then you have to stick it out for two years. Failing which you will be asked to leave the country (your can come back the next day on visit visa) but cannot get another employment visa for 6 months. So it would be advisable to check out the current labour laws.

The 3 month or 6 month probation does give you a right to leave the company without notice. But if you are on company visa then you would still have to leave the country. And you would only be able to come back on a visit visa which does not really entitle you to take up employment. However, if another company is interested in hiring you then they could perhaps take out a visit visa for you and you could start working for them(this would be illegal ofcourse) until they can get a employment visa for you after 6 months.

It is a tough choice to make.

All of the above is what I have heard and I could be wrong on some points. So if anyone has any more information please do post. This is helpful to evryone seeking a career in Dubai.

Cheers

:)
Funlover
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum