Driving In Dubai And Other Cultural Shocks

Topic locked
Driving in Dubai and other cultural shocks Apr 29, 2007
I'm 6 months into my estimated 3 year term in Dubai and still struggle with the fact there are no street addresses. There are other aspects of Dubai and the UAE that perplex me as well but it's a great place to be and live. I'm a 49 year old professional here to manage our design and construction projects as well as the management our newly established company. Looking to meet people and wonder if you have any suggestions as to where or perhaps we can find some things in common.

canadian.pride
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Driving in Dubai and other cultural shocks Apr 29, 2007
canadian.pride wrote:I'm 6 months into my estimated 3 year term in Dubai and still struggle with the fact there are no street addresses. There are other aspects of Dubai and the UAE that perplex me as well but it's a great place to be and live. I'm a 49 year old professional here to manage our design and construction projects as well as the management our newly established company. Looking to meet people and wonder if you have any suggestions as to where or perhaps we can find some things in common.

As people dont get their posts at their home , so they dont have street address :=). :lol:

When i was at dubai , i used to tell the taxi driver , drop me infornt of " Fatima salon" :oops:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

May 01, 2007
How can people locate u without street names and numbers? I have had so many people tell me stuff like the building next to etisalat or across the street from this restaurant or other? The traffic problem in dubai is probably because people are driving around trying to find different locations.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 30, 2007
lol. i just got used to it... even if there are some street numbers, nobody takes notice! you have to locate places depending on the nearest more popular landmark.

do you notice that most people know where restaurants/groceries are here? like it's near the chilis in garhoud or coffee bean in jumeirah. hehe.
Caricatures@orangejar.com
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 30, 2007
The problem is there are too many people here from too many different driving styles from too many nationalities each with their own style
Khabacha
Dubai Forum User

Aug 17, 2007
when i was in dubai in 2002/2003, the driving standard was much better then London
uncle cherie blair
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 23, 2007
thing is, there are so many sights here, its easier just to use them as points of reference.

of course you have to learn these first, but it dosnt take too long.

plus i bought something called a 'streetmap'
its amazing, it has all the road numbers on it, and tho there are few street names, if you need to be "just down from '''''' hotel" you can look for the hotel on the map, then you know the street.

anyway, i drive round dubai for a living, so i often see things like "fairmont" and then say to myself 'oh, THATS where it is' (cos im terrible with directions)
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 24, 2007
I think the landmark-based system is somewhat cool. When I was in USA, everybody used to download a map before going anywhere within the same city. Even to the city's only zoo.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance