Where I Can Buy Chinese Grocery?

Topic locked
Where i can buy Chinese grocery? Apr 25, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie for Dubai, only came here for a week. Can anyone tell me where i can buy Chinese grocery/Asian grocery(like Thai, Vietnemese..) & is there any Chinese local Paper here?

Please help me :)

Jojo

JojoHK
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 25, 2007
best place for chinese goods is dragonmart, apart from that theres a place in lamcy plaza, the 5 dh shop, dont think they have grocery though.

try spinneys maybe they might have it.

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 25, 2007
check dragon mart 8)
Uae_Me
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2007
Surely you can live without noodles for a week :wink: Try some Lebanese food and some other Arabic cuisines. You didn't possibly fly thousands of miles to eat the same food you eat back home did you? This reminds me of when I was in Bangkok and a Korean man asked a local Thai man where he could find some Korean food. The Thai man asked the Korean man to try some of their local Thai dishes and the Korean man said that he was Korean so he wanted to eat Korean food. I was so curious that I asked the Korean man how long he was in Thailand for. He had been there for only 1 day and was leaving after 3 days :roll:
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 27, 2007
dude...mebbe she was trying to cook.......... :roll:

she couldn't have learnt how to cook arabic in 1 week now could she? perhaps she had a tight budget? perhaps she can't go out and eat those wonderful arabic delicacies?

anyway....it depends on what sort of grocery u need.....pork? u prolly can get about 70% of wut u need in Spinney's or Carrefour... the rest of it there's a small lil grocery shop in Dragon Mart... and a couple of chinese owned grocery in International City china cluster....bear in mind though that its owned by the china chinese so the stuff u need that are more hongkie oriented could be pretty difficult to find.

you prolly have a better chance at small phillipino groceries to stock up on your soy sauce, etc....
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 27, 2007
The best place I have found for chinese groceries is probably near the Deira centre, or commonly known as the "Shoe City". But again as dodgeek pointed out most of the items are china branded products and rarely have I found any HK stuff around. Keep in mind that a lot of the china products could be fake so be careful with that.

For further insight you can post questions at http://www.dubaichinese.org/phpBB2/ most of the members on that site are either from HK or mainland China...
fafit
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Where i can buy Chinese grocery? Apr 27, 2007
JojoHK wrote:Hi everyone,
I am a newbie for Dubai, only came here for a week. Can anyone tell me where i can buy Chinese grocery/Asian grocery(like Thai, Vietnemese..) & is there any Chinese local Paper here?
Jojo

Dragon mart? Are you guys kidding? That's tens of kilometers out of town.

* Instant noodles & some spices: you can find in Carrefour, Spinney's, or nearby supermarkets.
* Vegetables: it's a bit difficult to find green leaves, but some others you can find in Carrefour, Spinneys'.
* Asian/Thai supermarket: next to Bai Tong (Thai restaurant) in Karama, near Karama Centre (Google Earth coordinate: 25°14'47.29"N 55°18'6.57"E).
* Asian supermarket: in Karama (25°14'45.61"N 55°18'18.82"E)
* Indonesian Corner minimarket: in Karama, on the same community road, North West of Bai Tong (25°14'50.09"N 55°18'3.31"E)
* Some larger choices of spices: Choithram supermarkets (in front of Ramada Hotel Bur Dubai, Jumeirah road, Karama, etc)
* Pork products: only in limited markets like Spinney's, Choithram, that supermarket next to Bai Tong above

I still can't find a good authentic Chinese noodle soup restaurant in Dubai. I've tasted many in some "noodle" restaurants, but the taste is not even close.

I haven't seen Chinese newspaper in Dubai. But if you have Internet connection, you can always read them online.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 27, 2007
dude....u wan chinese noodle soup and stuff like dat?

i just discovered this place.....singaporean who learnt how to cook in malaysia....pretty darn good and authentic....uhhm....where's dis place.....u know the road near satwa...where there's rows of restaurants leading up to dubai dry docks and the emirates flag.....

its near the end of the road.....noodle bowl or something or rather....and for those who miss yau char kuay...its there too....

try laksa and the char kueh teow
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 28, 2007
The soup noodles in China Sea (Deira) is good... I've lived and travelled extensively in China and I can tell you that their noodles are very authentic indeed.

You can get Chinese newspapers in that restaurant, as well as from those grocery stores in Deira.
fafit
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for all the advise. I went to carrefour b4 but they onli sell some basic asian food like soy sauces...

Today i went to DragonMart & found 2 Chinese grocery stores. Bought a few things & some instant noodles. Seen lot of chinese there, so happy im not alone here.

I'd like to try Arabic food too but have no idea at all. Any advise? I dun like food that have lot of spices like indian food...No offend, just my perference, & i dun eat much herbs too. Any arabic food that will suitable for me then?

Cheers,

jo
JojoHK
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 28, 2007
JojoHK wrote:Thanks for all the advise. I went to carrefour b4 but they onli sell some basic asian food like soy sauces...

Today i went to DragonMart & found 2 Chinese grocery stores. Bought a few things & some instant noodles. Seen lot of chinese there, so happy im not alone here.

I'd like to try Arabic food too but have no idea at all. Any advise? I dun like food that have lot of spices like indian food...No offend, just my perference, & i dun eat much herbs too. Any arabic food that will suitable for me then?

Cheers,

jo

Wafi Shopping Mall has a very good Arabic Restaurant on 1st floor in the extension, give that one a try.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 28, 2007
dodgeek wrote:dude....u wan chinese noodle soup and stuff like dat?
i just discovered this place.....singaporean who learnt how to cook in malaysia....pretty darn good and authentic....uhhm....where's dis place.....u know the road near satwa...where there's rows of restaurants leading up to dubai dry docks and the emirates flag.....
its near the end of the road.....noodle bowl or something or rather....and for those who miss yau char kuay...its there too....
try laksa and the char kueh teow

I think I know what you're referring. I've tried that Noodle Bowl, just next to the entrance of Dune/Pink building in Dhiyafah Road to be exact. I don't know but not to my personal taste. I think it's because the quality of noodle is like the dried noodle (not the instant one) you find in Carrefour/Spinney's, not that good. Egg noodle should be made fresh.

Noodle House in Madinat Jumeirah is much better. There are other choices of other Asian (Singaporean, Indonesian) too like noodle with roasted duck.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 28, 2007
fafit wrote:The soup noodles in China Sea (Deira) is good... I've lived and travelled extensively in China and I can tell you that their noodles are very authentic indeed.
You can get Chinese newspapers in that restaurant, as well as from those grocery stores in Deira.

Whereabout in Deira?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 28, 2007
JojoHK wrote:I'd like to try Arabic food too but have no idea at all. Any advise? I dun like food that have lot of spices like indian food...No offend, just my perference, & i dun eat much herbs too. Any arabic food that will suitable for me then?

Only two the best so far which are not spicy (posted in other thread about restaurants): chicken shawarma sandwich of Al Mallah in Dhiyafah road, boneless chicken of Arz Lebanon restaurant in DIC/Jumeirah.

Arabic food was not my favorite one until I tasted these ones. ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 29, 2007
xty wrote:
fafit wrote:The soup noodles in China Sea (Deira) is good... I've lived and travelled extensively in China and I can tell you that their noodles are very authentic indeed.

Whereabout in Deira?

Its right on the clock tower roundabout, on makhtoum street just before the emarat petrol station. if coming from makhtoum bridge u dont take the underpass, take a right and then U turn from the dnata side to reach the clocktower again, right after crossing u will see it to ur right.

i second that, awesome food, the place is pretty famous amongst the forumers for a good reason hehehe.
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 29, 2007
i think the only place you will find chinese ingredients is in spinneys.. i get from there all chinese, japanese food...
laracroft
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Where i can buy Chinese grocery? May 03, 2007
Jo jo, we NEED to go shopping together. I have been looking for a chinese outlet as well. Still dont know where they are. Went to Dragonmart and it was a disgrace!
I miss my T-Mart from Auckland, if it still exist!!

JojoHK wrote:Hi everyone,

Jojo
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Where i can buy Chinese grocery? May 11, 2007
JojoHK wrote:is there any Chinese local Paper here?

There are about 3 local chinese language weekly's/monthly's based in Dubai
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum