Hi5 In Dubai!! Blocked

Topic locked
Hi5 in Dubai!! blocked Sep 02, 2005
i was unable to open this site while my stay in Dubai? i contacted with concerning department and they told me that it mismatch with our culture. I asked if “consumption of alcohol, prostitution in Dubai, disco, clubs match then what’s da problem in Hi5?

i never got response after that!!

Just wondering how makes decision and on what criteria ?I think Hi5 is even worst than a hooker from eastern Europe ? isnt

HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 02, 2005
Hi,
Could u please xplain a bit more about topic? didn't get nothing, sorry for my ignorance, H5?
what is the thing with the prostitution, clubbing, :shock: ??

thanx&regards! juane
juane
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 02, 2005
Hi5 is a community website...just like orkut...by the way orkut is also banned here...dont knw whts the deal
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 02, 2005
any sites to do with social gatherings or dating etc.. is blocked in dubai but there are ways around all this if you just look hard enough.

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Sep 30, 2005
Yeah I asked my friend to accept my invite on Hi5 but he said it doesnt allow them to use it in Dubai!
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2005
hey guys!
I think it is quite strange that you guys cant access HI5, since I can!
Even though I m not a member, but i do get lot of invitations & can reach the site easily.

My assumption is that through blocking these site, dubai is trying to keep control over internet crimes that now happen in other countries.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 30, 2005
Hi5 was recently unblocked by etisalat....as was friendster...guess they slid the pole a bit further out of their backsides! ;)

Tinks, perhaps your friend hasn't bothered to check back on the site since the ban has lifted, and just assumed its still blocked...makes sense, I mean who would check regularly to see if a site is still blocked :P only way someone would know is if they got a request from someone else in dubai
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 30, 2005
I spoke with eCompany regarding this at their Etisalat stand @ Gitex and seems like they are getting more lenient

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Oct 01, 2005
Yeah true he aint got time to check hi5 to see if its blocked or unblocked lol his got more things to worry about lol but his gonna add me when his in India unless they blocked it there??? lol
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 01, 2005
well definitely not blocked in India, though the internet can be a bit of pain in India in terms of gettin a stable connection :) But he doesn't need to wait for that can get it done right here in Dubai, since hi5 is now officially unblocked forever and ever (or at least until the next time etisalat has a mood swing...but when does that ever happen ;))
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Orkut Banned by ETISALAT....! Not fair... Jul 04, 2007
See the other part of life...

People who get in touch with their old friends, schoolmates, relatives....

there are more than 30,000 people who are using ORKUT....

and Etisalat bans it...

Etisalat and the government should ban the clubs and prostitution first...
if they cant do this... they cant do any better...!!!
ishsagar
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jul 04, 2007
Oh this is just such a joke - I was on the site yesterday as I saw the article on the gulf news website discussing if it should be banned. A majority of the comments were no as most use it as a way of contacting friends or families.

Etisalat and TRA are just backward buffoons - why not just block the URL around the 'dubai sex' group.

I am glad to be leaving this backward place soon.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jul 11, 2007
k guys do any1 of u know how 2 go into hi5 ??
ainawi_salem
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jul 11, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Oh this is just such a joke - I was on the site yesterday as I saw the article on the gulf news website discussing if it should be banned. A majority of the comments were no as most use it as a way of contacting friends or families.

Etisalat and TRA are just backward buffoons - why not just block the URL around the 'dubai love' group.

I am glad to be leaving this backward place soon.

Dude, Gulf News initiated the ban. they just published another article two days ago saying "people" are complaining orkut can still be accessed.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat