Waiting

Topic locked
Waiting Sep 25, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting the forum for quite some time now and thought it was time to be part of it.
I am in the middle of interviews to go and work in Dubai.... All your postings have been of great help!!
I had an interview in Dubai and am still waiting for an answer...how long does it usually take for the Co to contact you after the one to one?
Also, I would be given accomodation with all expenses paid, but it is 20 minutes drive from work. I have read that you definately need to get a car if you live in Dubai but could someone let me know how much would this cost me yearly? Insurance, petrol, etc... ??
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, x Buca[/b][/b]

bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Sep 25, 2005
You could take out a long term lease from companies like Fast rent a car for ~AED 1500/month for a small sedan, like a Mits. Lancer or equiv.

If you are leaning towards buying a small car will run you about 50K new and go up from there

insurance is about 4% of the cars value/year, if a 2 door or a sporty type car it can go up to 10%

If you lease or buy new service is usually including, if not I’ve noticed prices and quality of service vary from place to place so talk to people who own the same make of car that you are considering buying.

Gas has recently gone up but it is still relatively cheap, I pay about AED 60/week for gas but my commute is 5 mins to work.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 26, 2005
Hey Fayz,

Thanks for your help! :shock:

...But I'm gonna be really annoying now....I thought about buying a 2nd hand car...how little could this cost me? How much would the insurance be? Do you reccon it would be cheaper to Lease it? Would it include the insurance?

ARGHHHH!!!!....So many questions!!!...Sorry! :oops:

Thanks again!!

Buca
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Sep 27, 2005
Hi
For an idea of price look at the gulf news classifieds on line. Also once you are here you can look on pin up boards in all major supermarkets for a car. It depends on age, condition etc of course but I've seen cars on these boards from Dh 15000 up. Try also www.dubizzle.com as some of these have photos.
Last week I would have told you a car is not essential but this week there is something on at the trade centre and in the late afternoon evening taxis are almost impossible to hail and call ....well, if you could actually get through!!......a car would be an asset at the moment....anyone with a seven seater for sale!!!??? :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 27, 2005
Actually you and I have that in comman, I decided to buy a second hand beater that I've had for a year now and it has been great, I decided to buy used because I find many people aren't that respective of other peoples cars here, I can't take the car back with me when I leave next year due to strict Canadian import laws, and I've always been against leasing.

It cost me AED 10K to buy the car, I had to fix a few small things which ran me 3K and insurance is 700/year. I guess it all depends on what you buy and how lucky you are not to get a lemon.

Good luck in what ever you decide and welcome to Dubai.

btw Gab thanks for the web link, this is a new site for me.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 28, 2005
Hey!!

Thanks so much for that GAB!!! The webpage looks great!
Yes Fayz, I agree, you can't buy a new car in a place that seems to have so many miss-haps in the driving world!!... (for what I've read in this forum).
Also, Even I did decide to saty for 3 years I don't know it is worth the investment as you never know where life may lead you! :wink:

700DHS a Year for car insurance seems ok. It is the cost of used cars that has shocked me!!... in London a 10 year old Golf can cost you £500 the most...and thats only 3000DHS...fair enough gas is much cheaper...but in relation I am not sure there is such a big difference if you are paying a minimun of £1200 for avehicle? :roll:

Anyway, I am definately sure about buying 2nd hand....It'll be my first car and my first "driving experience" ...... I should get a bycicle!!!! lol

Thanks again guys,

Tara!!

Buca
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Sep 28, 2005
Another thing to consider is long-term rental (not leasing), if you are unsure how long you are going to stay then thats the best option. Advantages are that they are no headaches like registration, insurance, maintaneance etc etc... You pay a little more but its sure worth it especially since you can return the car anytime and not worry about selling etc when you leave....
Barzie
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2005
Hi
Try www.khaleejtimes.com and go to the relevant classifieds section. Seems to be cheaper cars in there than Gulf News.....maybe most in GN are dealers and newer cars?? Also there are a stack of other websites if you do a search for UAE classifieds you'll get a choice!
Cheers!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum