Do Not Step On Stingrays!

Topic locked
do not step on stingrays! Mar 19, 2007
i've learned the hard way that you shouldn't do this. when you walk in the water at the beach shuffle your feet rather then taking steps.

gregory863
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2007
Did you see it? How big was it? Did it hurt?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2007
guys... stingrays??????? where ???????????

Jumeirah????
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
Oh for goodness sake. Here they will only be tiny ones. But yes shuffle.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
Poor stingrays. :(
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 19, 2007
how big is tiny?
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
Not big enough to kill you if that's what your query is. Maybe plate sized. But no bigger.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
nathooarif wrote:guys... stingrays??????? where ???????????

Jumeirah????

Yes, near Burj Al Arab at the open beach. Haven't seen at the private beach park though.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
Lets please not start paranoia. They're pretty harmless, but their barbs to sting if you step on them, hence the name 'Sting-Ray'. IF you shuffle your feet they just move out of the way, as they normally lay on or just under the sand and are perfectly camoflaged.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
i heard they were delicious ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2007
Nah they're not good eating.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
not meaning to be facetious, but after the whole Steve Irvin episode...... sting-rays kinda put a chill through me......

I noticed hundreds of Jellyfish along the shore last week.... they didnt look very alive, are they dangerous too (if alive), or nowt to worry about? (maybe not 100, but many of 'em) :-)
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
They're fine and quite plate small in jumeirah beach. You can't find them in seashore!

Bleakus, its delicious cooked with curry sauce.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
nathooarif wrote:not meaning to be facetious, but after the whole Steve Irvin episode...... sting-rays kinda put a chill through me......

I noticed hundreds of Jellyfish along the shore last week.... they didnt look very alive, are they dangerous too (if alive), or nowt to worry about? (maybe not 100, but many of 'em) :-)

:lol:

If touched to your skin, you'll get allergies only but that's it.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
Jellyfish? The bells of the jellyfish are harmless, it's the tenticles that cause the sting, most of the time it's just a small irritation and nothing more. Depends what type of jellyfish.

Last time I went to Snoopy Island during jellyfish season, there were loads of tenticle strands floating around and I got stuck like crazy, literally big whelps all over me.

Basically the tenticles have micro needles, which when they come into contact with the skin, the inject a venom. You should rinse the stung area with salt water, never fresh water as it will encourage any attached tenticles to continue firing venom. Wash the area with white vinegar or (sounds gross) urinate on the infected area (male urine not female), this immediately diactivates the stingers. Use steroid creams or ibuprofen anti-inflamitaries to help with any further discomfort.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
Considering I moved to Dubai for the beach, im kinda feeling gutted that the price I may have to pay for this, is to have blotches on my skin, and to smell like a urinal!

p.s. why male urine? ease of aim was my guess, but i wouldn't put money on it.
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
They jellyfish are only around at certain times of the year, not all the time, normally as the sea heats up and cools down - change of season.

And why male urine? Actually because men are less likely to have urinary tract infections, it's normally cleaner than womens urine.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
nathooarif wrote:Considering I moved to Dubai for the beach, im kinda feeling gutted that the price I may have to pay for this, is to have blotches on my skin, and to smell like a urinal!

p.s. why male urine? ease of aim was my guess, but i wouldn't put money on it.

Urine will do nothing for jellyfish sting! This is the misconception of some folks. Urine sets off some stinging cells, making the sting even worse.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
i'd be pissed if the piss didn't work........LoL
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
asc, I have to disagree with you. Look up every treatment for jellyfish stings and is says that's one of them. There was a recent story about a guy who was stung by a Man-O-War, one of the deadliest, and he peed on himself and the tenticles fell away instantly.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
Methinks you got conned Chocs.
^ian^

Mar 19, 2007
I'll clarify, it works on some species, but not all. Plus I speak from several experiences with friends.

No gross comments please.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
nathooarif wrote:i'd be pissed if the piss didn't work........LoL

Urine has nitrous component (urea). It has medicinal properties but not for jellyfish stings. (Folks use urine for bee stings).

Mind over matter duh.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
basically, if you're gonna go to the beach, make sure you have a full bladder, otherwise, its gonna be an awkward favour to ask from a stranger!

:shock:
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:asc, I have to disagree with you. Look up every treatment for jellyfish stings and is says that's one of them. There was a recent story about a guy who was stung by a Man-O-War, one of the deadliest, and he peed on himself and the tenticles fell away instantly.

:lol: Chocs, I grew up by the sea. Believe me, urine does nothing. If you want i can research it for you. TIP: Australia & Hawaii have more write ups about this ancient folks remedy.

Love yah!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2007
Ok I know I don't post as frequently as before, but since when did DF turn into a German fetish club? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 19, 2007
As I said it really depends. Many are for, many against. But if you get stung really bad, you're gfoin to try anything. White vinegar is the best solution however.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
Can anyone say R. Kelly?
^ian^

yes... the pain was UNBELIEVABLE!!! Mar 19, 2007
I have crahed motorcycles been bitten by snakes,broken arms, had my eye knocked out of the socket, bitten by dogs, dragged beheind truck, stabbed. nothing as painful as this stingray. at the hospital they put me on morphene. funny thing though it hurt like hell all day and then suddenly stopped.
gregory863
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Can anyone say R. Kelly?

The pedophile? :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat