Employer/Company Preference Questions

Topic locked
Employer/Company Preference Questions Aug 25, 2005
Hi,

What is the difference between getting hired by a large company like Nortel, Cisco or GM for
example and a local Emirati employer/company such as Etisalat or the government?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? will the western large companies offer the same thing in
terms of expat benefits such as annual air tickets etc? who'd pay more? or are they the same in
terms of employment in that they both give pretty much the same thing and you are regarded as expat no matter?

Hope to hear from anyone soon :)

Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2005
No one wants to take a shot at this? *gasp* I'm shocked :shock:

Any input no matter how small will be appreciated please!
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

:) Aug 29, 2005
Acebravo wrote:Hi,

What is the difference between getting hired by a large company like Nortel, Cisco or GM for example and a local Emirati employer/company such as Etisalat or the government?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? will the western large companies offer the same thing in terms of expat benefits such as annual air tickets etc? who'd pay more? or are they the same in
terms of employment in that they both give pretty much the same thing and you are regarded as expat no matter?

Hope to hear from anyone soon :)

There are quiet a lot of variables, so things aren't quiet as simple as that..

One of the first things is that under "large company" you have listed companies within the freezone as well as companies outside the freezone. The salary perks and benefits may not differ all that much, but the conditions of employment do.

Most governmental and municipal departments have an "affirmative action" policy, whereby they have to conform to employing a quota of local UAE nationals. They also tend to employ labour (skilled and unskilled) from the Asian sub-continent – I would assume because of the difference in salary package they would. The current (although it may be changing) rule regarding employment for a municipal or government employer is: if you leave your position you get a mandatory 1 year ban! In addition much of the “skilled” or highly technical work undertaken by the above is farmed out to sub-contractors (private sector).

Companies in the freezones do not have a quota system relating to the employment of local (UAE nationals). A local UAE sponsor is not necessary to establish a company within the freezone and all profits can theoretically be repatriated. Labour contracts are based on the Dubai Department of Labour one, but an employee is not banned should he wish to change his employer.

Private sector trading companies (LLC’s) in Dubai have limited quotas on the employment of local (UAE nationals). These businesses have a 49/51 percent ownership between a local (sponsor - 51%) and in most cases an international business partner (49%). Labour contracts are governed by the Department of Labour (Dubai), and currently should you wish to change employer you could face a 6 month labour and immigration ban, although this regulation changes regularly and is about to be changed again (normally a lot of exclusions and inclusions).

Benefits offered by Private differ vastly, there is no set expat “package” and it is up to the individual to negotiate their own, most companies will try and save money where they can – if you don’t ask for it you won’t get it!

In short, I’d stay away from government jobs, as there is more money, scope and fewer headaches than in the private sector.

By the way if you are in a category such as electrician, structural engineer etc, you have to pass a Dubai Municipality trade test to have your qualification accredited and be licensed to work in Dubai
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Aug 29, 2005
WOW thanks, excellent answer; tells me alot.

Much appreciated!
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Employer/Company Preference Questions Sep 09, 2005
Thank you dbxsoul for your valuable info.

As I posted earlier, I need to make a decision on taking a job with (the local water and electricity authority). The package is not great (Planning Engineer for 18K and medical insurance...That's it). Would I face a ban if I wanted to move on in year's time? I am sure that there are companies offering better deals!!!! I want to use this as a stepping stone to move on...

Any toughts?

Many thanks

Zino
Zino
Dubai Forum User

Sep 09, 2005
I was under the impression that the 6 month ban was removed, is this not the case?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum