What Do You Want In A Nightclub?

Topic locked
Oct 22, 2006
Bleakus wrote:you know what i wanna see.......a heavy metal nightclub

currently they are called gigs but yeah....a nightclub with metal music instead of techno

Second that. I need to get my mosh on.

iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 23, 2006
Basically what the others said:

- Less show-offs, posers and losers
- Smarter 'bouncers'
- Drink deals or something, in other countries you get a drink or two with your ticket, here you get nothing and the drinks are not cheap either (And this is coming from someone who does NOT drink much)
- Licences for longer sets for big gigs, let's say Paul Van Dyke, Ferry Corsten, etc. (A. Van Buuren is used to playing 4+ hour long sets, it's ridiculous to have him only spin for just 2.5 hours), not gonna happen of course
- A mega venue for big acts like the ones mentioned above, or at least bigger venues for big djs, Above & Beyond at the Apartment? You must be having a laugh it's too tiny and most the people were trying to cram themselves in the lounge who have no clue about the DJs spinning...

Sigh

Choco: I think I saw you, were you at both the Dave Emerson gig @ Apartment AND the Marco V set at Peppermint before Ramadan?
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2006
Since you're so kind to ask, Choco... what's wrong with the Jungle/Drum'n'bass scene here?

The only thing you hear is that goddamn house, r'n'b - okay, have to admit Arabic beats are wicked, but even breaks DJs like Timo Maas play tribal when they come over here!

And someone told me Roni Size was in Dubai... TWO YEARS AGO!

If anyone's interested, I don't mind bringing my own records here...
dubaimisfit
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 28, 2006
They play house because thats what the freakin promoters tell them to do .... the guys at IBO host some awesome dnb and break beat djs check out www.9714.com
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 04, 2006
there shud b different halls for diff personalitiess,like..slow music for classy type of ppl..rock for punks..lol....pop for whteva...

da best thing would b u'll meet ppl who match wid ur personality :D
music shud b different all the time
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 04, 2006
I for one is still hunting for a reggae club :roll:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 04, 2006
space, good music, good drinks, and good company.
bonitta
Dubai chat master

Dec 10, 2006
100% agree with bonitta.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 10, 2006
100% agree with bonitta.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 24, 2007
21 years old to enter a club? whoa!!! Are they strict on this as I'm only 19. Should I wait 2 years until I come to Dubai? lol
PTMike
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2007
PTMike wrote:21 years old to enter a club? whoa!!! Are they strict on this as I'm only 19. Should I wait 2 years until I come to Dubai? lol

I don't really think they are that strict...when I was here last year I was underage and never had a problem EXCEPT at boudoir..that one bouncer is realllly strict about ID's. I know it is easier to get in if you are a girl, but if you have a girl with you, you might have a better chance.
noni
Dubai chat master

Jan 25, 2007
we need more nights like twisted melons at ibo and a club that plays a mixture of metal, alt, d&b ............and no house music not stuck up people just and relaxed atmosphere were people can drink and mosh and bounce till their hearts content :D
emurella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2007
Unfortunately as I just got into the clubbing scene (Jd and coke, best drink I would say), but I have determined there are three different clubs in Dubai.

1. Third class as in low class where u might find ugly looking whores or maybe one single female (not a bar tender or waitress) and club is filled with guys who wanna booze and get a kick where entrance is totally free most of the times.

2. Second class as in mid range but yet as ppl said sucky crowd or most probably a whore joint like Imperial Suites or Cyclone where every female has ten guys looking at her where some u pay with entrance like 50 bucks and proabably two free drinks thats like just pint of beers

3. 1st class and exclusive club like Trilogy or any other good place where most of the time events are taking place where per head u pay 175 or whatever the rule is plus dressing sense of ppl and obviously no drinks on he house.

Now since as I said I just came into clubbing scene. Its very hard to find a good place with good music cuz half of the time by no offence a lot of hindi music goin on as dubai consists a hell lot of subcontinents while music like rock, trance, techno, house, hip hop etc genre are not found and if it is the crowd totally sucked. Maybe there is but this is my deduction of what I have experienced.

Since I can practically eat, sleep, drink with music that is endless desire of something to be played for enternity I did find a place. My search led me to Bangkok which is a beautiful place and music, name it and you will have it. The crowds amazing, and everything is cheap and I mean cheap.

Bangkok is a place where u pay what u will be paying in a second class (the one I described above) and get the entertainment of a first class club.
Because I wanted a place with good crowd and good music. Check out these sites and these are the clubs I partied in

www.bedsupperclub.com
www.cm2bkk.com
www.bangkokgigguide.com/gows/santika_li ... angkok.htm (The club is called Santika)
www.qbarbangkok.com/
www.bangkok-private.com/bkk_c/Narcissus/index_e.htm

and there are lot of other clubs as in good clubs. Maximum the charge maybe 55 dhs and u get 4 or 3 or 2 drinks free. And guess what it can be any drink, not beer, even Jd with coke or Black Label with soda maybe u gotta pay like 2 bucks extra but that aint a problem. And a bottle max 450, A bottle of Jd was like 250 to 300. Hell yeah I blew up 1200 dollars in ten days and I still say it wasnt enough. Plus there are even clubs which u can just sit and have a drink like a pub and a proper pub.

Dubai should open up good clubs and reduce a bit on the prices or even keep them the same but get some good music and ppl should change their mentality about spending. I dont mean to offend anyone, I do understand that ppl work like crazy to survive and stuff, but when enjoying ppl think calculatively that sucks.

I mean like you go to a club and dont spend like u keep it to the limit. If ppl do that then whats the fun. I know there are lot of guys whose having fun on their parents money, that can be kept aside which is a different issue but when u go to a club to enjoy, look good and then enjoy not like u got 5000 dhs with u for enjoyment and u go to a club wearing a lungi. Neways thats all. Btw if anyones going to Bangkok and need some advice let me know!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2007
^^ V. good points you've got there...

Personally, the best club in dubai for me at the moment is Peppermint, the music is alright, but as you said the crowd sucks... The policies at the door suck as well, but heck, the clubs here are not cheap to operate, unlike the ones in other parts of the world, clubs here need these crazy stuck-up people who dress as if it's a wedding and spend as if it was the last night of their lives, without them, clubs wouldn't survive...
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 27, 2007
O there are posers and real clubbers in every city in the world .. usually each has there own scene and do there own thing ... dubai's poser culture is very much thriving :lol:, however the real clubbing culture is still very immature but i am sure it will develop as people become increasingly educated about the music ..

and trust me Dubai is _nothing_ compared to cities like LA in terms of wannabes and posers ..

just keep dancing big O ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 27, 2007
the nightclubs took all my money and didnt give me anything back...i want my money back!!...
constantine

Jan 27, 2007
MaaaD wrote:O there are posers and real clubbers in every city in the world .. usually each has there own scene and do there own thing ... dubai's poser culture is very much thriving :lol:, however the real clubbing culture is still very immature but i am sure it will develop as people become increasingly educated about the music ..

and trust me Dubai is _nothing_ compared to cities like LA in terms of wannabes and posers ..

just keep dancing big O ;)

But the demographics in the city are not changing towards a culture that cares more about music, the way it is, people are still here primarily for the money and kinda too busy for anything else... I read a post by maDJam somewhere comparing the scene in Beirut and Dubai... It was something like this:
In Leb, people wait for a month or two for the big dj to come, while in DXB it's all about work, work and more work during the week and simply getting urself trashed in the weekend!

Who am I kidding anyway, I will probably turn into one of these people who drink till they pass out every weekend once I start working lol...

But I'll take your word bout LA and other cities, even my 'hometown' (Amman) is having that snobby posers scene as well not only in nightclubs, but also in CAFES as well!! I haven't really heard of places where they have staff/semi-bouncers at the doors of cafes and lounges that only allow couples in! lmfao!!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 27, 2007
liverpool4ever wrote:^^ V. good points you've got there...

Personally, the best club in dubai for me at the moment is Peppermint, the music is alright, but as you said the crowd sucks... The policies at the door suck as well, but heck, the clubs here are not cheap to operate, unlike the ones in other parts of the world, clubs here need these crazy stuck-up people who dress as if it's a wedding and spend as if it was the last night of their lives, without them, clubs wouldn't survive...

Well I dont know about Peppermint, Last time I went it was like a whore joint rather than a proper club. I rather hit trilogy hehe right now going through some cash trouble cuz investing on something so I guess I wont club. The problem as you said ppl dressing like it's a wedding and some even wear a sunglass in the night and not to mention the spikes, U know do it cuz it's the trend even though it sucks. And the funny part is when they dress u can distinguish who is from where. I rather go to this place called music room in the Majestics hotel where entrance is like 50 bucks and I think 2 drinks free thats again beer. The crowd is mostly ppl who love rock music. Pretty decent. The only thing which sucks is u see a filipino girl singing like Metallica or rock songs. But yeah u wont find many girls there as in proper girls. It's like a more of a guys place not like the 3rd or the second class clubs I believe. But yeah it depends on ur taste too.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

rock spiders?? Jan 31, 2007
that place is pretty cool. the band rocks. i play pool there, have a few drinks then head on because there's no dancing there. how many clubs in dubai are like this??? a bunch of people sitting around like statues!
gregory863
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: rock spiders?? Feb 02, 2007
gregory863 wrote:that place is pretty cool. the band rocks. i play pool there, have a few drinks then head on because there's no dancing there. how many clubs in dubai are like this??? a bunch of people sitting around like statues!

Dancing isn`t important, isn`t it?? 8)
Tropic23

Re: rock spiders?? Feb 02, 2007
Tropic23 wrote:
gregory863 wrote:that place is pretty cool. the band rocks. i play pool there, have a few drinks then head on because there's no dancing there. how many clubs in dubai are like this??? a bunch of people sitting around like statues!

Dancing isn`t important, isn`t it?? 8)

Well hell yeah dancing is important but u need the right type of place and mood. If u dont find any then whats the point.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2007
Dubai has a million festivals right. So why not have something like the Love Parade.

That's true club culture NOT the superficial crap you see in clubs here which in reality are disguised whore joints.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 03, 2007
redbullny wrote:Dubai has a million festivals right. So why not have something like the Love Parade.

That's true club culture NOT the superficial crap you see in clubs here which in reality are disguised whore joints.

Having alcohol in the parks and streets? Hmm... Wouldn't go well with the authorities, but on the other hand, you have all these outdoor events like the concerts and the rugby 7's *rolls eyes*
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2007
Oh sure guys why not. Next thing if u end in jail dont tell me. Dubai is not open enough like bangkok or goa or any other place. The thing is not to have as u dont become a nuisance to the society and if alcohol was so open believe me I have seen worst cases. And speaking of Festival and stuff. It's a family gathering where arabs do prefer to come. If you check the amount of ppl to festival are very few europeans or americans while max of them are from sub continent or arabs which consists a lot of muslims and they wont do it. I do know yeah so what they drink yes true they do but not in public.

Speaking of desert rugby, concerts thats cuz those things make money for plus no offence thats an event to attract the whites. I am not a racist or anything but just a fact that am saying. But if u go to indian open concert u rarely find them selling alcohol as lots of families are there.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2007
Alcohol would be a major problem even though it is perfectly fine and virtually legal for hoes to be roaming about the streets selling themselves, half of whom are probably not even disease free.

But it would be cool to have a trance festival or something of that nature.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 03, 2007
Unknown, I agree that its not a good thing for the Muslim society but neither are a lot of other things that happen here. This is Dubai not Saudi Arabia.

Also, the whole purpose of these festivals are mainly to boost tourism. Many tourists visit Goa, Germany etc for their raves.

I feel that a trance festival would further increase the number of tourists coming here but thats just my opinion.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 03, 2007
Dude just try walkin down the busy street with a bottle of beer and see what happens!! I understand getting a trance festival would attract lot of ppl from around the world as in tourism would increase. But there is not much market and as I mentioned before because dubai is more indian oriented with the indian music and all not much of trance so ppl dont think of getting trance festival. Man trust me I am living here for 23 yrs. I know the back of this place.

Plus say in an event when Tiesto came down. Max I think the crowd was till 8000 while when Indian Maestro A.r. Rehman came down 30,000 ppl. Desert Rock festival right now is going to be for 2 days after such a long time. And when u talk about trance festival. It needs to feel like trance in goa or bangkok where booze is open. Over here booze is not open. Yes if they do it in a place where u buy the booze like an concert sort of thing then fine. But if u plan to do like Goa where every moment Trance is there like the whole city that would never happen and plus when in Dubai Desert Rock last yr a band was banned to play in dubai as Dubai tourism denied them cuz they had written a song about arab ppl as in the history books how cruel they were and stuff. Even though they were not going to sing that song but still they were not allowed to play so they were cancelled. but ur idea can only be done in a close place and not a festival stuff.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2007
Dude I am not denying the fact that alcohol in the open is not permitted here. I have lived here longer so I would know that, thank you.

All I am saying is that it is possible to have a smaller version of the Love Parade with several big DJs instead of just one without selling alcohol on the streets and instead perhaps have specific venues where people can stop by and have a drink. I mentioned "something of that nature" meaning it doesn't have to be the same thing with people drinking away on the streets. This obviously would need to be a collaborative effort and would be difficult to control but it is surely possible with some careful planning.

And also I am talking about causing more tourists to come here whereas you are talking about the existing local population here which has got nothing to do with promoting tourism.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 05, 2007
redbullny wrote:Dude I am not denying the fact that alcohol in the open is not permitted here. I have lived here longer so I would know that, thank you.

All I am saying is that it is possible to have a smaller version of the Love Parade with several big DJs instead of just one without selling alcohol on the streets and instead perhaps have specific venues where people can stop by and have a drink. I mentioned "something of that nature" meaning it doesn't have to be the same thing with people drinking away on the streets. This obviously would need to be a collaborative effort and would be difficult to control but it is surely possible with some careful planning.

And also I am talking about causing more tourists to come here whereas you are talking about the existing local population here which has got nothing to do with promoting tourism.

Hehe sorry for that. Cuz when u said trance festival I was like thinking the whole Dubai celebrating it. hehe. Like that would happen. But what u said can be done. Since dubai is growing hopefully in the future!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 07, 2007
redbullny wrote:Dubai has a million festivals right. So why not have something like the Love Parade.

hard to have true club culture when certain substances that facilitate all night clubbing and dancing into the morning are banned.

and before we go for love parade, let gets clubs open till 5 or 6.
MaD
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai EventsForum Rules

Return to Dubai Events