Knowing The Local Language ,is It An Extra On CV !!

Topic locked
knowing the Local Language ,is it an extra on CV !! Aug 30, 2005
Hi,
Do you think that learning and knowing the local langauge in Dubai(writing and reading) is an extra you can add to your professional"s Resume!! Or simply the Hiring companies do not care about that option !!

Thank you

Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Re: knowing the Local Language ,is it an extra on CV !! Aug 30, 2005
Umass wrote:Hi,
Do you think that learning and knowing the local langauge in Dubai(writing and reading) is an extra you can add to your professional"s Resume!! Or simply the Hiring companies do not care about that option !!

Thank you

of course its an advantage ,, but it depends also ,, on the position itself ,, you know ,, you might not need Arabic some times
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 30, 2005
definately a bonus in any public relations, sales or creative field.
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Re Aug 30, 2005
Is it an advantage in 1-construction filled 2-Medical filled !!!
if yes then do you recommend us to attend a school or to hire a private teacher ?
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 30, 2005
Just a little FYI, being or saying your American dosen't bring the smiles and respect it use to. A lot of people hate us for some strange reason :wink:
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Re Aug 30, 2005
Just a little FYI, being or saying your American dosen't bring the smiles and respect it use to. A lot of people hate us for some strange reason

I do not have to tell ppl about my american nationality to make them respect me. I can tell them about how much I respect the other cultures and that I am like them a simple human being and a hrad worker .
By the way originally I am not an american citizen. I got my American nationality coz of my husband .

I am just wondering why they do not Like us anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 30, 2005
Jee... I wonder.....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2005
Liban wrote:Jee... I wonder.....

I guess putting a man on the moon and Thriller aren't that big a deal anymore :(
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 31, 2005
I think knowing Hindi/Urdu is much more beneficial in the construction buisness than Arabic... In the Medical field Arabic is probably helpful if your going to be dealing with Arab patients, but i dont see it as essential as in the fields that Bobbie mentioned
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re Aug 31, 2005
I think knowing Hindi/Urdu is much more beneficial in the construction buisness than Arabic... In the Medical field Arabic is probably helpful if your going to be dealing with Arab patients, but i dont see it as essential as in the fields that Bobbie mentioned

Intresting !!! those ppl should change there official local langauge then.
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 31, 2005
MaaaD wrote:I think knowing Hindi/Urdu is much more beneficial in the construction buisness than Arabic... In the Medical field Arabic is probably helpful if your going to be dealing with Arab patients, but i dont see it as essential as in the fields that Bobbie mentioned

although not ESSENTIAL (which i didn't say :P ), Arabic certainly comes in useful in creative fields- pitching ideas to a client for instance (in an advertising situation) - it may be crucial to be able to pitch in arabic. Advertising campaigns have to cover 2 cultural understandings, usually around the basis of language. what is funny in english, may be innapropriate in arabic (or any other language) and for that reason it's important to have an understanding of both languages.
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 31, 2005
Im think it's an advantage in most cases
gazzaam98
Dubai Forum User

Re Aug 31, 2005
If we will work to a company run by local ppl then ( even if it will be in construction filled )then I do believe that we can be more close to the ppl there by knowing there language especially when dealing with the boss and the rest of the team.

I am not going to ask if learning Hindi is an advantage in arabic city !!:D
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 01, 2005
My 2 cents....

By no means is Arabic necessary to get around in Dubai or do business in DXB but I think it shows a lot about your character if you learn the language it will help. This after all is an Arabic country and although many people here including locals speak fluent English it'll get you brownie points if nothing else. There are also allot of places to travel in the region once your here and if you like to get out of the city and explore speaking Arabic will be a great advantage.

I took a couple courses at Berlitz when I first moved here. Although I haven't kept it up I really felt it gave me more of an appreciation of my new home and the culture here.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re Sep 01, 2005
[quote]I took a couple courses at Berlitz when I first moved here. Although I haven't kept it up I really felt it gave me more of an appreciation of my new home and the culture here.[/quote

I will start my langaue lessons soon ,Thank you
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Re: knowing the Local Language ,is it an extra on CV !! Nov 27, 2010
Hi, can I use knowing Arabic - especially since I had to learn it - to nudge the salary offer up a bit?
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Knowing The Local Language ,is It An Extra On CV !! Nov 27, 2010
Yes thank you bruce for resurrecting another 5 year old thread !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:Yes thank you bruce for resurrecting another 5 year old thread !

Would you have preferred I start a new thread?
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Actually yes. Hasn't stopped you till now ;)
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat