Teaching Primary / Secondary Levels In Dubai

Topic locked
Teaching Primary / Secondary levels in Dubai May 02, 2004
Hello there

I am an Australian school teacher looking to take up a contract in Dubai to teach Primary or secondary level.

Would love to hear some input from other teachers there.

Do you enjoy it?, are the students interesting? student temperaments, entertainment for the family (ie: 10 and 8 year old boys)?
Anyone trading shares by any chance (Husbands job)

Life in general. Family things to do on weekends.

Have seen many web sites and had alot of information.

Would appreciate the human touch of any written comments.

Thanks
Sophie G

MSG
Dubai Forum Guest

May 02, 2004
i'm sorry i'm replying 2 ur question with a question but it relates to ur answer.
where abouts in australia are you from?
FAKESPIKE

May 02, 2004
We are from the City of Melbourne in the State of Victoria.
MSG
Dubai Forum Guest

May 02, 2004
http://dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=423

Grades for teacher packages and work environment. My own subjective opinion based on comments from teachers I've talked to, directors/heads/owners will probably disagree.

A-grade schools - Dubai College, Dubai English Speaking School, Dubai American Academy, American School of Dubai, Jebel Ali Primary School, Latifa School for Girls, Rashid School for Boys. Kings School (new for Sept 2004).

B-grade schools - English College, Jumeirah College (was A but think salaries have dropped?).

C-grade - Emirates International School, Al Itihad in Jumeirah.

D-grade - Chouiefat Schools, any in Sharjah, most Varkey group schools, School of Research Science, Al Itihad in Deira.

Whatever A-grade schools tell you during interviews etc can be taken as fairly accurate. Add more salt as you go down the list. Some schools will tell you absolute lies regarding conditions of work, accommodation, etc.

Contracts are usually not worth much if the employer wants to do something different (eg fire you at short notice).

Salaries range from 2000 dhs (poverty level) to 12,000 dhs (excellent for primary/secondary teacher) monthly, maybe more at some of the grade A schools. Grade D schools usually pay 5000 dhs monthly or more.

With one or two exceptions the students are great in any grade of school and you'll really enjoy teaching them. If you've taught in inner city schools anywhere in the world, then there's no such thing as discipline problems here. Usually a good mixture of students from different countries with a resonable to good level of motivation. Staff are also mostly good fun but places can be a bit incestuous at times especially if staff live in the same apartment blocks as each other. Management of schools tends to be fairly average to poor except for some of the Grade A schools. But they get thrown out regularly. Just try not to annoy them too much before they do.

Male students at Al Itihad Deira are a nightmare. Dubai College, Rashid and Latifa have a reputation for having stuck-up students.

A few new schools rumoured to be opening up by September 2005.

Have missed quite a few good primary schools I think. Any secondary schools I missed are likely to cater to Asian or Arabic market and will offer poor working conditions compared to the others eg salaries 2000 dhs or less.

Dubai Financial Market ( http://www.dfm.co.ae ) lists a handful of shares, only a couple of companies sell shares to foreigners so unlikely your husband will find a stockbroking job. However lots of other job potential in the financial services industry. Watch out for unlicensed (by the central bank) fly-by-night companies. New institution just opened - Dubai International Markets or something?

Should be lots to do for 8-10 year olds. Anything outdoors in mild to warm weather happens here and in a few more years there'll be snow skiing (indoors) also. More and more people and families moving in to Dubai - big growth in all areas. You'll struggle to get the boys enrolled in a good school - too much demand for places.

Apr 25, 2006
Anonymous wrote:Dubai Financial Market (http://www.dfm.co.ae) lists a handful of shares, only a couple of companies sell shares to foreigners so unlikely your husband will find a stockbroking job. However lots of other job potential in the financial services industry. Watch out for unlicensed (by the central bank) fly-by-night companies. New institution just opened - Dubai International Markets or something?

I presume stockbrokers would need to be Arabic speakers. Probably 90%+ of investors in the local markets are Arabic.

New institution is DIFX - intention is to trade international stocks. They have about 1 listed at the moment. And several funds.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 26, 2006
Anonymous wrote:http://dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=423

Grades for teacher packages and work environment. My own subjective opinion based on comments from teachers I've talked to, directors/heads/owners will probably disagree.

A-grade schools - Dubai College, Dubai English Speaking School, Dubai American Academy, American School of Dubai, Jebel Ali Primary School, Latifa School for Girls, Rashid School for Boys. Kings School (new for Sept 2004).

B-grade schools - English College, Jumeirah College (was A but think salaries have dropped?).

C-grade - Emirates International School, Al Itihad in Jumeirah.

D-grade - Chouiefat Schools, any in Sharjah, most Varkey group schools, School of Research Science, Al Itihad in Deira.

Whatever A-grade schools tell you during interviews etc can be taken as fairly accurate. Add more salt as you go down the list. Some schools will tell you absolute lies regarding conditions of work, accommodation, etc.

Contracts are usually not worth much if the employer wants to do something different (eg fire you at short notice).

Salaries range from 2000 dhs (poverty level) to 12,000 dhs (excellent for primary/secondary teacher) monthly, maybe more at some of the grade A schools. Grade D schools usually pay 5000 dhs monthly or more.

With one or two exceptions the students are great in any grade of school and you'll really enjoy teaching them. If you've taught in inner city schools anywhere in the world, then there's no such thing as discipline problems here. Usually a good mixture of students from different countries with a resonable to good level of motivation. Staff are also mostly good fun but places can be a bit incestuous at times especially if staff live in the same apartment blocks as each other. Management of schools tends to be fairly average to poor except for some of the Grade A schools. But they get thrown out regularly. Just try not to annoy them too much before they do.

Male students at Al Itihad Deira are a nightmare. Dubai College, Rashid and Latifa have a reputation for having stuck-up students.

A few new schools rumoured to be opening up by September 2005.

Have missed quite a few good primary schools I think. Any secondary schools I missed are likely to cater to Asian or Arabic market and will offer poor working conditions compared to the others eg salaries 2000 dhs or less.

Dubai Financial Market (http://www.dfm.co.ae) lists a handful of shares, only a couple of companies sell shares to foreigners so unlikely your husband will find a stockbroking job. However lots of other job potential in the financial services industry. Watch out for unlicensed (by the central bank) fly-by-night companies. New institution just opened - Dubai International Markets or something?

Should be lots to do for 8-10 year olds. Anything outdoors in mild to warm weather happens here and in a few more years there'll be snow skiing (indoors) also. More and more people and families moving in to Dubai - big growth in all areas. You'll struggle to get the boys enrolled in a good school - too much demand for places.

I have been doing research myself about the educational scenario of DUBai and noting details of some posted info.and this new updates help me a lot..thanks :D

HABIT IS SECOND NATURE :D
vicky40_teach
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted