I Fired 2 People Yesterday

Topic locked
I fired 2 people yesterday Jan 16, 2007
I fired 2 people from my department yesterday.......Made me feel good for some reason......made me feel in control. Never done this before in my life, felt no pity, no regret...just plain good.

People say that firing somebody is a bad thing coz the guy will be out of job and no income to support himself or his family. I say that he shouldve tried harder to make sure that he doesnt get fired

what do you guys think?

Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
All depends if they deserved being fired
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Re: I fired 2 people yesterday Jan 16, 2007
Bleakus wrote:Never done this before in my life, felt no pity, no regret...just plain good.

They must have been shit. to make you feel that way.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 16, 2007
If they deserved it, good for you. Too many people here not pulling their weight. But it can't be any easy thing to do. How did you do it? What did you say?
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2007
I fired a guy once...even though he was not doing his job properly and deserved to be repleaced...I still felt pity for him !
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 16, 2007
I've fired a couple of retards before:

1 - Someone for making prank calls during work hours to a local Pizza Hut. Calls were made on the office phone and the police got involved.

2 - One for egging the house of an employee who was on maternity leave.

3 - One for actively looking for work during office hours during office resources and encouraging other staff to do so. Now I don't just mean looking at a job website, I mean she had turned her office and desk into a 'find a job' workstation and was acting as an de-facto employment agency for other employees. Had to go.

Honorable mention for people who have fell on their sword:

I busted one guy once looking at gay p<3n on his computer.

One girl had her mum ring up and say she was in hospital, she was spotted later that day hanging out a local supermarket with friends. Lying isn't generally tolerated anywhere.

One girl fired herself, having raised a complaint of harassment against another employee, and then when we discussed it, it came down to her actually feeling she should be paid more. When we got to the bottom of it, she said "I suppose I'll have to go now." Despite me insisting she should stay and we could resolve it, she was like "No, I've done the wrong thing, and I should leave, I don't deserve to work here anymore." - I've never worked that one out.

But yeah, I've got a lot of stories I can't tell online as well... A LOT! Perhaps we should talk about Job Interviews!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 16, 2007
well for me

1- The guy didnt come on time most of the days. On saturday, which is a working day at the operations came at 12:05pm and left at 1pm. Now he was supposed, like the other employees should come to work at 8am. What he told me was that he came at 11:00am and left at 7:30pm....which is bull coz at the punch machine it said 12:05pm and he didnt stamp out. Asked him why he didnt stamp out and he said "I just dont".
Alright now 2 days later, i got a tip that the same guy doesnt come ontime at one of our agencies (cant tell you where). 2 employees are assigned there, one came on time and the dude (im just gonna call him dude for now) comes to work at 9am, he is supposed to come at 7:30am. I went there as a suprise visit to check up on them, asked the guy where is the dude and he said that he is late, this is the first time i acually say "O rly". I waited from 8am to 8:40am and there is not trace of the guy. So i sent a warning letter to him, he called me complaining about the warning letter, asked him to sign it but he refused.
Thats when i decided that i dont want this guy in my department. He started shouting at me that i treat him bad and stuff like that, i was like "Listen i have all the proof in the world for me to fire you, so send me back the letter and we will see what happens". Boom, he is terminated the next day.

2- The guy without informing me left work for 10 days, as per company policy the guy will be fired regardless the reason. He didnt call nor he picked up my calls for a week.

i sound terrible but it felt great
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
u did the right thing. seems like u cared more about him keeping his job than he did...
he is old enough to stand the consequences of his lack of responsability.
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: I fired 2 people yesterday Jan 16, 2007
Bleakus wrote:I fired 2 people from my department yesterday.......Made me feel good for some reason......made me feel in control. Never done this before in my life, felt no pity, no regret...just plain good.

People say that firing somebody is a bad thing coz the guy will be out of job and no income to support himself or his family. I say that he shouldve tried harder to make sure that he doesnt get fired

what do you guys think?

i toldu u , u r sadist :lol: :lol:

if u have good reasons no problem :wink:
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

girl im not sadist, im just creative ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
Im surprised you gave guy 1 a chance after he kept on coming late if that was me i would have said DO ONE after the first :D
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
Galactico wrote:Im surprised you gave guy 1 a chance after he kept on coming late if that was me i would have said DO ONE after the first :D

i didnt get that???
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
In Dubai I fired a guy on the spot for using a racial slur in a meeting (internal meeting). It cost my firm 65K AED.

His salary was 65K dirhams per month. Dumb arse. Good riddance.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
Galactico wrote:Im surprised you gave guy 1 a chance after he kept on coming late if that was me i would have said DO ONE after the first :D

i didnt get that???

I mean how you were giving him chances to save his job like by sending a warning letter after the guy taking liberties like its his dad place

I would not have even bothered with that straight fired him or do one has i said :D

yeh get me now?
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
Galactico wrote:
Bleakus wrote:

i didnt get that???

I mean how you were giving him chances to save his job like by sending a warning letter after the guy taking liberties like its his dad place

I would not have even bothered with that straight fired him or do one has i said :D

yeh get me now?

because i was playing by the book, so i can have proof that he refused the letter and thats why i will be in the safe zone. ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
Zalim Bleakus :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
Galactico wrote:
Bleakus wrote:

i didnt get that???

yeh get me now?

because i was playing by the book, so i can have proof that he refused the letter and thats why i will be in the safe zone. ;)

cleaver move bro 8)
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
I wanted to ask if you had fired 2 people, are you looking to employ 2 new, but while reading the details, don't feel too confident... :wink:
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 16, 2007
^^ill take extra care of you.....dont you worry ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
Thanks, sounds good for Good Night :oops:
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 17, 2007
in the process of letting someone go....hmm...i more or less over the past couple of days have convinced him that its for his own good :) ...saves me the guilt trip when he comes around saying "THANKS for HELPING me" :)

and bleaakus...dude..they had it comming.
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 17, 2007
its all grimmy but to tell u the truth hahahahha i wouldnt feel bad as a matter of fact i would tell him if u wanna bring it down then we can settle it

DON
ISH
ISH
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2007
Bleakus, what about firing your own boss? Ever heard of this?

HAhahahahahaha.................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 17, 2007
When I want to let someone go, I make sure that it happens gradually. First I sit with the person and tell him/her that he is not performing as he did before and from then onwards i start dropping hints untill that person starts looking for a job and himself/herself decides to resign with dignity.

Another way is by giving the person warnings everytime they do something wrong. Soon enough they will know that they are not doing so well and that it is best for them to move on.
Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 17, 2007
Chatting (YM & IM), reading non-sense forwarded emails and posting a lot in DF during office hours should get fired as well.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 17, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Chatting (YM & IM), reading non-sense forwarded emails and posting a lot in DF during office hours should get fired as well.

Oooops, you mean it :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 17, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Bleakus, what about firing your own boss? Ever heard of this?

that would be just plain stupid dude :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 17, 2007
Well, the guy deserved to be terminated - no sense of responsibility and punctuality obviously.

So - justified Bleak. :wink:
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 17, 2007
thanks dude ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 17, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
asc_26 wrote:Bleakus, what about firing your own boss? Ever heard of this?

that would be just plain stupid dude :lol: :lol: :lol:

It isn't stupid if he/she deserves it. I know most bosses around UAE are just sitting pretty and couldn't even write simple business correspondence. (except the mafih english arabs). Mushkilah really. :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat