WE ARE CONFUSED

Topic locked
Re: Re Aug 22, 2005

Well now you are just going to have to learn to have a drink at lunch... your in British territory now, and nothing bets a good pint before lunch, after work, before dinner, before sleep, another for the road, hey this one is on me, come on you said one more but not which one! :) :) :D

Hey Stainless : if we will move to live in Dubai then it will be very nice opportunity to meet you there but please remeber Drinks are on you :lol: :wink: :D
I think we will be fine regarding social life there . but still our main concern is the salary and finiding good company name . We got 2 offers but still we have no clue about if they are good or not !!
some friends suggested on us to get a contract through an american company in USA and then that company will send us to Dubai (They will pay more like this way) .
I do believe that 30-35 D a month is not enough salary to make us leave Usa and go to work in Dubai .
:roll:

Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Umass wrote:.

I do believe that 30-35 D a month is not enough salary to make us leave Usa and go to work in Dubai .
if your husband is actually having a higher salary in US or a lil close to the figures then . it might not be worth it ... because dubai is not really the peaches and cream type of a city its not all sweet ... standard of living is really high, traffic is !@#!!@ . so if your coming here your reason must be to earn money not to look for a better place than home ... cause in my case its not really better than home . but it pays better than home ... do you get what i mean ?... for a couple 30 - 35 D is more than enough to live here with but again it all depends on what your husband is getting now ....
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

working condition for an american .... yes it would be better ... but then again ... it depends on what kind of role does he play in the construction schene ... is he an engineer? a Project Manager?, in Procurement?. estimator ? does he Highrise? or roads? well if he's a site engineer .... welll DAMN !!! i dont think he can stand the heat ... usually the americans and europeans who are employed in the construction industry are usually on the management level ... such as Project Managements, Head of this and that ... Senior Quantity Surveyors etc ...

Thank you Major pain for the helpful review.
My husband is working now as a project manager for a construction company . He is not working out side at the site as working there is the superintendent and the engineer job so hope that will make him avoid the hot weather in Dubai .

He is doing High rises ,commercials ,housing ,parking garage,steel buildings..

Ok salary Ranges .... it depends on what company they are employed ..
if hes coming over he should look at getting employed at nakheel cause they do give the highiest salary in the region

I will try to get information about (Nakeel company ) through internet , but still we have no clue about how much salary he should ask for ..if he is getting for now (let us say 90000 us ) then should he ask for 25% more or 50% more .... etc !!!!

Thank you so very much for all of you guys ..you are very nice people
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Umass wrote:
working condition for an american .... yes it would be better ... but then again ... it depends on what kind of role does he play in the construction schene ... is he an engineer? a Project Manager?, in Procurement?. estimator ? does he Highrise? or roads? well if he's a site engineer .... welll DAMN !!! i dont think he can stand the heat ... usually the americans and europeans who are employed in the construction industry are usually on the management level ... such as Project Managements, Head of this and that ... Senior Quantity Surveyors etc ...

Thank you Major pain for the helpful review.
My husband is working now as a project manager for a construction company . He is not working out side at the site as working there is the superintendent and the engineer job so hope that will make him avoid the hot weather in Dubai .

He is doing High rises ,commercials ,housing ,parking garage,steel buildings..

Ok salary Ranges .... it depends on what company they are employed ..
if hes coming over he should look at getting employed at nakheel cause they do give the highiest salary in the region

I will try to get information about (Nakeel company ) through internet , but still we have no clue about how much salary he should ask for ..if he is getting for now (let us say 90000 us ) then should he ask for 25% more or 50% more .... etc !!!!

Thank you so very much for all of you guys ..you are very nice people

correct me if im wrong did you really typed 90,000 US?? if thats the case then better stay there cause i dont think they pay project managers here in dubai that well .... ive heard but really not sure that nakheel pays around 40 -50,000 plus, plus plus plus and whole bunch of plus per month

or you can try at Emmar or what you can also do is ... come here .. take the 35,000 dh deal just to familiarize himself with the envoronment ... and to get to know some people ... then ... change company after a project if hes really good then he would be very in demand ... ... then the right way to make money here in dubai is save up ... then he should open a project management consulting company .... thats a good business where he can start by himself and in the future he can accept partners or hire some project managers to do multiple projects ....its a business where he's biggest capital is his ability to manage a project low capital but very high R.O.I (Return of Income)

then when his team is set and he gets enough money he can start to sub contracts ... just by channeling he's contacts the most important thing in construction are the people you meet they are all valuable !!! he should target going to dubai in this way ... not just to look for a job ,... but to own hes own project management Firm ... and send he's resume to this email emilvl2@yahoo.com even though im not in the market of construction ... i still keep in touch with my friends in that market .. im not promising ... but ill try to do the best as i can ...to help
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Thank you Aug 23, 2005
correct me if im wrong did you really typed 90,000 US?? if thats the case then better stay there cause i dont think they pay project managers here in dubai that well .... ive heard but really not sure that nakheel pays around 40 -50,000 plus, plus plus plus and whole bunch of plus per month

90.000 is just a number i typed ..but any way We live in a very expensive state , salary range is higher than other states and you can not save a penny there .

send he's resume to this email emilvl2@yahoo.com even though im not in the market of construction ... i still keep in touch with my friends in that market .. im not promising ... but ill try to do the best as i can ...to help

I already e.mailed the CV , Thank you you are a very nice person
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 23, 2005
Hey all,

There is a magazine in the UAE for the construction industry called construction weekly funnily enough. Plus I know someone who is working on site as a manager here.

Looking at it for top end people you could earn around 30,000Dhs a month, bottom end can be as little as 7,000Dhs. So I don't think you'd get what you're looking for here, but it also depends on which company as they can vary. But they all tend to run things from site, plus most only get 1 day a week off - the Friday and maybe 1 Thursday a month. Construction here runs pretty much 24/7 and it's damn hard work, that's how they build things so quickly here.

There's a new building going up next to where I work, it's massive and they are completing nearly 2 floors a week!!! That's how quick and hard these guys work here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re Aug 23, 2005
There's a new building going up next to where I work, it's massive and they are completing nearly 2 floors a week!!! That's how quick and hard these guys work here.

:shock: Well that is too fast ...They can finish building the whole country within 1 one year and then no construction comapny will be demanded there anymore !!!!!
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 23, 2005
They'll find something new to build... They always do :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re Aug 23, 2005
I wish they will build there Disney land ...I love it :D . So my husband can work for them and I can get free access to it :lol:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 23, 2005
And of course then you would think of your buddy Liban and sneek him in :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Re Aug 24, 2005
All of Dubai is turning into Disneyland...what with underwater hotels and rotating villas...not to mention they've planned it as such by giving theme park names like Dubailand, Sports City etc

[quote="Umass"]I wish they will build there Disney land ...I love it :D . So my husband can work for them and I can get free access to it :lol:[/quote]
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 24, 2005
And of course then you would think of your buddy Liban and sneek him in

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: It will be my pleasure

All of Dubai is turning into Disneyland...what with underwater hotels and rotating villas...not to mention they've planned it as such by giving theme park names like Dubailand, Sports City etc

[/quote]

Wow,I really wish we will move out to live there !! and if not then may be we can have a vacation there too.
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 24, 2005
I'm just here until I stack enough money to buy a hotel in Brazil. :)
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 24, 2005
About the tax stuff, check this out-

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/publications/p54/index.html

8)
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Re Aug 24, 2005
Thank you for the Taxes link it is very helpful .
Well ..we are scared to take our final decision about moving to Live in Dubai . It is not easy to leave our house and it may be risky to make husband leave his job in Usa :roll:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Umass wrote:Hey Stainless : if we will move to live in Dubai then it will be very nice opportunity to meet you there but please remember Drinks are on you :lol: :wink: :D

Drinks always seem to be on me. :wink: But hey, nothing like a good body shot. :D It's true that drinking is part of normal life in Dubai... Boy you should see this place during Ramadan! I never heard so many whiney people in my life.

Umass wrote:I think we will be fine regarding social life there . but still our main concern is the salary and finiding good company name . We got 2 offers but still we have no clue about if they are good or not !! Some friends suggested on us to get a contract through an american company in USA and then that company will send us to Dubai (They will pay more like this way). I do believe that 30-35 D a month is not enough salary to make us leave Usa and go to work in Dubai .

One of the major factors that you have to take into consideration is the lax of tax out here in the region. So if you are coming from California to Dubai, you will all of a sudden realize how much money is deducted from you income due to tax. So if you are in the $90 range now and move out to Dubai, it would be equivalent to $130 but in the states. Again if you play the tax man right and rent out your house by the time you leave Dubai, you will have major capital gain on your house, more on that later, and money tucked away in an offshore account free from Mr. Tax, which allows you to cover your living cost... tax free via a credit card that is instructed for 100% payment per month or a Credit/Dept card directly linked to that account. Now you can't make major purchases with this money without paying the taxes on it, Mr. Tax is notified of all major purchases through his network of friends, Mr. Local, Mr. County, Mr. State, etc. Even the banks now have to declare any movement of cash over $5,000!!! $5k is like a day in Monaco, WTF!

For your retirement home you shift your capital gain from the sale of you (current) old house to it and open a small home based business to right off X amount of space as business expenses, you add a garage or extend the house again as part of the business, the cars get you X amount of milage with was for business... All of this tax stuff can be claimed back and should or if you enjoy living outside the US, then look at retiring overseas and don't pay taxes at all... unless you are making tens of millions it is not worth Mr. Tax to come after you as it is not cost efficient, and considering that there are large Corp getting away with tens and hundreds of million of Mr. Tax money, resources are better spent there.

Now that is not to go without say, keep ALL of your receipts! Hell even pick up others receipts for that matter, just in case. If Mr. Tax did come knocking on the door when you open one big box of unfiled receipts and dump it on his desk pointing out that they are in about 5 different languages, 95% he will settle out for about 3-5% of what you really might owe. Hell, I even keep my flight boarding pass and assigned seat ticket, just to add to the clamor of receipts.

I agree with Major Pain, come to Dubai and test the waters... Moving outside the states was the best thing I have ever done! :D It really opens your eyes to the rest of the world!

There is enough construction here for the next 15 years, but after that... it will be interesting to see. I have been working with Dubailand on a project for two years here but now we are reconsidering. Just like the Hydropolis hotel... we are considering backing out. The intentions originally announced to build Dubailand similar to Disbey World was great but their actions and current direction is wrong... VERY wrong, which is to be an Orlando, Paris, Hong Kong, and New York City all combined. So come and make your money now while you can!!! Maybe, we are wrong but get here while the getting is good. Remember, you can always go back to the states and give your renter notice.

Stainless
stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Drinks always seem to be on me. :wink: But hey, nothing like a good body shot. :D It's true that drinking is part of normal life in Dubai... Boy you should see this place during Ramadan! I never heard so many whiney people in my life

Drinks on you and Nargileh on us :lol: as it is very popular during Ramadan

One of the major factors that you have to take into consideration is the lax of tax out here in the region. So if you are coming from California to Dubai, you will all of a sudden realize how much money is deducted from you income due to tax. So if you are in the $90 range now and move out to Dubai, it would be equivalent to $130 but in the states. Again if you play the tax man right and rent out your house by the time you leave Dubai, you will have major capital gain on your house, more on that later, and money tucked away in an offshore account free from Mr. Tax, which allows you to cover your living cost... tax free via a credit card that is instructed for 100% payment per month or a Credit/Dept card directly linked to that account.

I love that part...No Tax anymore :twisted:

I agree with Major Pain, come to Dubai and test the waters... Moving outside the states was the best thing I have ever done! :D It really opens your eyes to the rest of the world!

Even if we will not get a job in Dubai then surly we will spend our next vacation there . It seems very charming city to be in .

By the way I have a question please : Is it true that all the companies in Dubai give 3 months salary as an annual bonus :shock:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 24, 2005
The States is still the best place in the world, especially Texas :wink: But it is fun to get out and see the world now and then. Me, I plan on living on beach in Brazil soon.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 24, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:The States is still the best place in the world, especially Texas :wink: But it is fun to get out and see the world now and then. Me, I plan on living on beach in Brazil soon.

I prefer living in New England area (Usa) .
Are goign to invite us to your island in Brazil !!!!! :wink:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 25, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:The States is still the best place in the world, especially Texas :wink: But it is fun to get out and see the world now and then. Me, I plan on living on beach in Brazil soon.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS... or their shit kickers! :wink:

As for the three month salary, I am not sure in the construction industry but the industry I was in when I first moved to Dubai, it was one month salary, plus annual pay raises.

If you do come out here for vacation, plan on at least two weeks and make sure that it is not during Ramadan the whole time as it will be harder to meet with some of the management.

Now taking away the salary, bonuses, etc. one other benefit to living in Dubai is its location. Seven hours UK, Seven hours Thailand, Seven hours East/North Africa, etc so when vacation time does come you won't want (and shouldn't) go back to the state but to travel the world and experience life! I have been Great White shark diving, hunting big game, standing on the same beach as James Bond, etc etc... most people think that this life is reserved for millionaires, but I have many friends that do, because they plan and budget.
stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

HOW? Aug 25, 2005
My Husband today gave his new excuse about not going to live in Dubai .

In his opinion as faR as he is having an okay salary in USA then it is not worth to move there as salaries in Dubai does not look that attractive regarding construction filled and as it is very difficult to move to a new life and a new work environment
Guys he is in 30ss , no children and responsibilities yet ..any magic to make him be an adventurer !! :twisted:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 25, 2005
Yes, tell him either he goes to Dubai with you or you go it alone and that there are many hot and horney men there that do nothing but work hard all day and need to play at night :lol:

j/k
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re Aug 26, 2005
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Re Aug 26, 2005
There are lots of reasons for not coming to Dubai. There are lots of reasons for not doing a lot of things,

BUT (and I'm in construction);

Dubai is currently THE place in the world if you're in the construction industry. Ok, so he might not be able to find the 'perfect' job immediately but 30-35 and a few extras should be enough to give you guys a two year holiday in the sun AND you'll have some change left over afterwards. If you think of it like this then it becomes a different proposition?

You'll always have plenty of time to 'go home' later.

... and who knows - you _might_ decide that it was the best thing you ever did?

I'd suggest considering it for a fixed period of two years (otherwise you'll have arguments later!) and if you don't both agree to stay then you'll be heading home.

Your losses are minimal (if any). Your potential gains could be great.

... or does hubby check the bathwater with a thermometer before climbing in?

- Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: HOW? Aug 26, 2005
Umass wrote:My Husband today gave his new excuse about not going to live in Dubai .

In his opinion as faR as he is having an okay salary in USA then it is not worth to move there as salaries in Dubai does not look that attractive regarding construction filled and as it is very difficult to move to a new life and a new work environment
Guys he is in 30ss , no children and responsibilities yet ..any magic to make him be an adventurer !! :twisted:

Live with it and respect his decision. He knows what he is doing, he is the one that got the job offer not you.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Re Aug 26, 2005
You're losses are minimal (if any). You're potential gains could be great.

I agree

or does hubby check the bathwater with a thermometer before climbing in?

- Stuart
[/quote]

He always calculate his steps, Which is good . But in my opinion it is not good to be careful all the time ..sometimes you need to take a Big step in your life especially if you are still young and have no children yet to worry about .
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Re Aug 26, 2005
By the way, I'm also in my 30's and no children :D

As for "it is very difficult to move to a new life and a new work environment" I'm not so sure that this is true for Dubai. Things to consider (as said by others);
- the temperatures. Summer strolls are not a possibility
- the driving. Not the same as 'back home' (but not the worst in the world)

Any other factors are pretty much the same as you'd get with another job in another city back home ...

I've lived in Egypt, Turkey, Georgia (Tbilisi), Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Romania, Prague etc. - and yes, living in places like these takes 'time to adjust' (principally because you don't speak the local language). Here, the local language is English. The supermarkets sell everything you could want and more. As long as the company helps out with the initial month here there are (IMHO) no real issues (if you don't have kids requiring education).

But then that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me?

Does anybody think - compared with other places - that Dubai is a difficult place to adjust to???

- Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Re Aug 26, 2005
Stuart wrote:Does anybody think - compared with other places - that Dubai is a difficult place to adjust to??? - Stuart

I agree with you Stuart BUT I can tell you that coming from America, where you are taught all your school years (including some college!) that the Middle East is this big scary place where that really horrible religion that create terrorist live and you risk getting your head cut off and you wife will be forced to marry a Sheik.... It seem like a major risk! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I now consider Dubai home and own a business here, the people are amazingly friendly once you get to know them and the area is safe. Heck, I don't want more expats here as it will ruin it!

You have to take risk in life to live big... do you think anyone at the top if they took risk to get to where they are and ALL of them will say, YES. Take risk and live life...

Stainless
stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Aug 27, 2005
By the way, I'm also in my 30's and no children :D

Nice to meet you on line . Hope we will meet you someday in Dubai too:D

But then that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me?

Does anybody think - compared with other places - that Dubai is a difficult place to adjust to???

- Stuart

My brother traveled all over the world in bussiness trips and he told me that the only place he liked and he wishs to live in is Dubai .

Do you mind if I will P.M you asking about some construction information in Dubai !!
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Re Aug 27, 2005
I agree with you Stuart BUT I can tell you that coming from America, where you are taught all your school years (including some college!) that the Middle East is this big scary place where that really horrible religion that create terrorist live and you risk getting your head cut off and you wife will be forced to marry a Sheik.... It seem like a major risk! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am living in USA since 5 years ago and I found American ppl very friendly and open to diffrent cultures including Middle east culture . Every educated person there know about Dubai and wish to come over to work there .
Still I agree with you that moving out to a new life style is not an easy thing to do .

I now consider Dubai home and own a business here, the people are amazingly friendly once you get to know them and the area is safe. Heck, I don't want more expats here as it will ruin it!

I am not sure if Dubai after 20 years will stay the same attractive city as it is now !!
You have to take risk in life to live big... do you think anyone at the top if they took risk to get to where they are and ALL of them will say, YES. Take risk and live life...

That is my point which I was trying to make my husband accept it well
Umass
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai