American University Of Sharjah Computer Science Internship

Topic locked
American University of Sharjah Computer Science Internship Jan 07, 2007
I am a senior Computer Science student at the American University of Sharjah. I am looking to undergo an internship at a reputable company in the UAE, as part of my Academic program. I live in Sharjah. Also, I would like to note that I am looking for a part time internship that can start as early as the 15th of January, 2007 and would last as long as three months.

Following is my student resume:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

STUDENT RESUME

E-MAIL: g00010117@aus.ac.ae
rayolalanis@yahoo.com

ADDRESS: P.O Box : 22653 – Sharjah – United Arab Emirates

NATIONALITY: Palestinian

EDUCATION:
-Major: BS in Computer Science at American University of Sharjah.
-Expected Graduation: May 2007

SKILLS:
Technical Competencies:
-Programming Languages: JAVA, C, Shell Programming (basics), Pearl Scripting, Oracle, HTML, Server Side Programming with Servlets and JSPs. JavaScript, Java Server Faces, PHP.
-Operating Systems: Windows XP, Linux/Unix
-Software: Flash mx, Adobe After Effects, Gimp, Ulead Video Studio, Rational Rose
-Additional Skills: Project tracking and management. (took software engineering course)
Languages: Arabic and English.

PROJECTS:
-Designed and Implemented Java Compiler, parser and semantic analyzer. (team work)
-Designed and Implemented ATM machine application in Java with user friendly GUI. (team work)
-Designed and implemented a fully functional database for online website in Oracle. (individual work)
-Designed and Implemented mini student university registration system using multiple data structures in Java. (team work)
-Designed and Implemented Online virtual community for pet owners. (team work)
-Designed and Implemented Online flowershop website application. (team work)
- Experienced with video editting and production.
- Has Experience with Support Vector Machine Learning

EXTRA ACTIVITIES:
-Participated in Programming Contest in Spring 2006
-Worked as TA for two Computer Science faculty members in Fall 2006.
-Attended University Linux Workshop in Fall 2006
-On the Dean's List for Academic Excellence for Spring 2005, Fall 2005, Spring 2006 and Fall 2006.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that I am looking for a part time internship that will last for 3 months.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Hind
Dubai Forum User

Jan 07, 2007
Good luck! I know how hard it can be for students to find an internship. I hope we have some people here who could suggest to their employers that it might be great to have intern on board for 3 months, even if it isn't usual to have an intern in the company.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
I would edit your name and phone number out of that CV though, this is a public internet forum and not sure if you want that kind of information out there.

Good luck with your search ...
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2007
Thank you for your advice, Maaad. I edited them out.
Hind
Dubai Forum User

Jan 07, 2007
Hind wrote:Thank you for your advice, Maaad. I edited them out.

No problem Hind, one more piece of advice. I dont think you should advertise that your looking for an "unpaid" internship. Because if it happens to be that a company will pay you (even if it was something nominal) they might change there mind when they see that.

Also, i would browse to dubai internet city website and go to the directory would be a good place to start finding companies to contact for internships.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2007
Thank you again, MaaaD. I appreciate your helping me. As you might have noticed, I am new to this and I really need to do some professional training for me to complete me program.

I will check the DIC website. Would you suggest it better to email my CV to the companies there or should I pick up a phone and call?
Hind
Dubai Forum User

Jan 07, 2007
I would suggest visiting in person with your CV and a cover letter that explains what you can do as an intern, because you might have to sell an employer on the idea of taking on an intern, especially if they have never had one before. The "unpaid" part helps :) Does your school offer help or contacts for students wishing to find an internship? If it is a required part of your program your school should really have some resources for this for their students.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
Yes. I was given a list of companies that I could apply to a while ago. Problem was; the list was a bit outdated (it was compiled in 2004). I sent my CV out to the companies located in Dubai and Sharjah, but a number of emails did not make it because the emails did not exist anymore. I only recieved one reply from a company. They asked me for my student resume and contact number. But I did not hear from them since then.

I tried calling a few companies too. None showed interest and I sort of felt like they did not approve of me calling and asking for an internship. I don't know... could just be me imaginning things.

If I wanted to meet with someone from a company in person should I call first or just drop by with my papers?
Hind
Dubai Forum User

Jan 07, 2007
Well, they can too easily get rid of you by phone, so doing some walk-ins might be recommended.

Geez, your contact list is from 2004? I hope your school gets on that and revises the list for 2007! :evil:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
Hind where you in touch with a lady her name is Ms Adele Sayegh from the career office in AUS ? When i was looking for interns last summer she was the person i went through.

Another tip would be to approach a professor that you like and/or did well in his/her class and ask for there help. Usually professors will have connections with people and might be able to help.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2007
Hind wrote:
I tried calling a few companies too. None showed interest and I sort of felt like they did not approve of me calling and asking for an internship. I don't know... could just be me imaginning things.

If I wanted to meet with someone from a company in person should I call first or just drop by with my papers?

You could just drop by, dont take a hard copy of your resume, ask for the persons business card (this way you will have his contact info for follow up) and email him the resume. Always ask for the HR Manager or some sort of Manager (researching the company and knowing names would be even better) dont waste your time asking for an internship from the people who dont have decision making power.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2007
Exactly, good advice MaaaD
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
MaaaD wrote:Hind where you in touch with a lady her name is Ms Adele Sayegh from the career office in AUS ? When i was looking for interns last summer she was the person i went through.

did u graduate from AUS ? :shock:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jan 07, 2007
Palkid7 wrote:
MaaaD wrote:Hind where you in touch with a lady her name is Ms Adele Sayegh from the career office in AUS ? When i was looking for interns last summer she was the person i went through.

did u graduate from AUS ? :shock:

No, but i think they are the best quality students graduating from a UAE University.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 08, 2007
MaaaD wrote:No, but i think they are the best quality students graduating from a UAE University.

:king: :king: :king:
Thanx ma8 !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted