Does Etisalat Need Competition?

Topic locked

Does Etisalat need competetion?

Yes, 100% without question!
100%
Yes, but they do an alright job compared to back home.
No votes
No, they provide good quality of service for the rates changed
No votes
No way, it would only cause more problems and fragment the market!
No votes

Total votes : 12

Does Etisalat need competition? Aug 22, 2005
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would touch on a subject that most of us on the forum can comment on or been affected by the recent "cut" cable... Do you feel that the Etisalat needs some competition, if so why? What do you think of the current level of service that the provided?

Now before you answer, try and look at it from a locals and governments point of view.

Stainless

stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2005
yes !!! i think etisalat needed competition so that they can sort their service up!!! i mean damn !!! they charge so much and i cant even open google with my dsl connection ... if im lucky my dsl connection acts like a fcking dial up connection !!!! geeeez!!!! the only time i can browse properly is when its around 12 midnight WTF???? i say yes they needed a competition so these guys would wake up !!!!
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 23, 2005
Isn't there already another telcom that is suppose to start up? some company partially owned by Emaar? My vote would be yes as competition helps the end user.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 23, 2005
Absolutely they need competition, it'll be the only way to force them to up there game and start operating like a proper service provider should.

If any other telecomms company around the world acted the way Etisalat do they'd be fined for breach of promise of performance and failing to provide customers with decent services.

Plus competition would force prices down.

This monopoly idea is old hat.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 23, 2005
i think Etisalat definitely needs some competition..right now they have total monopoly in market. and thats why their prices are very hing with out good service...if they have a competitor or two than definitely we will have some improvement on one of the two fronts....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 23, 2005
Down with the Fascist!!!!!! Viva La Revolution!!!!!!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 23, 2005
Absolutely. Competition is never a bad thing, not for the consumer.

However, its not only competition that needs to be introduced. What is needed is a completely deregulated telecom market. And allowing foreign companies to enter the market too.

A new company is going to be there by the begining of next year and its going to evolve from what is today Dubai Internet City's TECOM (which recently merged with Sahm's residential telecom unit). However this entity will be majorly goverment owned too.

While this company will be competition its still just divinding up the profits among two companies with similar ownership (goverment and local shareholders). Only thing is that Etisalat will be an Abu Dhabi owned company the new one will be a Dubai owned company.

But anyhow, i hope that it will bring in better services and more focus on customer support.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 24, 2005
Wow... I am really surprised that no one has stated that Etisalat is ok, considering but home.

I went back to the states for two and half months and got pay by month service and could not believe how horrible the service and personal were! Cingular, tacked on so many service charges that my $49.00 monthly service was $89.00. When you then added taxes I was up to $104! :shock:

The service was the worse it could be, I got an international plan that allows for International calls inter/exter at ¢.49 per minute... when I got my first bill it was for $858 in phone calls!!! :evil: It took my a month and a half for them (Cingular) to finally credit my account, thank gosh I didn't give them my credit card!

So after that experience, I came back with a new outlook on them. While I agree they could use some competition, things could be a lot worse... A LOT!

Stainless
stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 03, 2005
a new MNC Operator is going to start its operation from mid or at the end of 2006!!! well i think the new operator is going to deploy 3G network .......................

Competition always goes in the benefit of consumers. I think in order to provide cheap ADSL connection; they should bring more liberalization in the local loop of telecommunication network(s).

I was just pondering do we have regulatory telecommunication authority in Dubai? Or Consumer protection authority?

I was using the Internet at home in Dubai and we received huge bill indicating International calls. When my cousin inquired about these calls , we were told that you have accessed some international site……………………i couldnt believe .....now matter Dubai is

Dubai is constructing the tallest building of the world , but I wish they also lift their brain up to that level (ironic wink) .
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 07, 2005
:? British Telecom's most basic 2Mb connection works out to Dh108 a month. In the UAE the cost of a 2Mb connection is Dh650 a month!!!
The most expensive BT offering is Dh190 a month. :shock:

Bulldog's top-end package is an 8Mb unlimited option for Dh200 a month. That's four times as fast as Al Shamil!!! WTF??? :x

...So YES!!!
pillbox
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat