Ive Been Here For Nearly A Month...

Topic locked
ive been here for nearly a month... Jan 01, 2007
and i dont think i like it.

from what people are saying on this forum, my wage isnt great, circa 11,000 dirhams a month, plus 7000dirhams/months for accommodation (once my hotel time expires), and 1600 dirhams/month for car.

also where i am staying at the moment, bur dubai, is really crap. full of indians and people who have no manners or driving skill.

tell me, does it get better?

i am a salesman, i am here from the uk to get our uk business established over here, but i am beginning to thing that maybe i would be better off earning less in the uk.

at least i have my family, friends, girlfriend. everyone i meet here are either only here for a few days, or they are not even worth talking to.

maybe once i am settled it will be better, but its not at all what i was expecting, i guess i was too naive.

btw, i have no one to whine to here, so i came on the forums to see your opinions, what can i do to enjoy my time more?

i go snowboarding, thats fun, i frequent the english bars, and i also enjoy alot of sports and fitness as well as reading and language learning.

should i put up and shut up? or should i reconsider my goals? replies from english would be more useful!

thanks

dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 01, 2007
Dave,

Your thoughts are not far off from many others....to summarize, Dubai is just a hype and simply put, it's just a huge shopping place.

I looked for a job in Dubai for a long time...I have the credentials and experience as director of engineering/Telecom.....I did get few insulting offers here and there and I was going to keep looking until I talked to a friend of mine he's a university professor here in Canada....he went on a business trip to Syria and he absolutely loved it due to the amazing culture and people...he then went to Dubai for a while and was very disappointed...he was the one who said it's just a huge shopping place nothing more....

So I decided to visit, I was disappointed as well, and yes I stayed in Bur Dubai lol but I went everywhere else, I visited Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Al Ain...these were better than Dubai anyway. You hardly see locals...there's no culture...just many expats and shopping malls...too expensive and found it to be fake as well.....lack of proper planning the place is bound to collpase it won't be able to sustain all that extravagant stuff being added to it on a daily basis be it visitors, projects etc..

The only locals I was able to see and talk to were couple of govt. officials who fully understand why most expats are there in Dubai...they surely do not like the fact that most expats do not care about Dubai and are there on a temp. basis only....they gave me the example of water consumption...I was surprise to learn that Dubai is on top of the list of countries for water consumption....expats have no loyalty they consume water like crazy they know they are leaving anyway...that was just one example. I gather there will be new laws/taxes introduced as a measure to protect Dubai and its resources.

The place is also kind of saturated.....companies now do not offer good packages it would be too expensive for them anyway. I don't think there any employer in Dubai that will offer you a paid nice villa as part of your package...the good ones only give a percentage like 60-70%...with the sky rocketing rent in Dubai that's nothing.

So I decided to look somewhere else in the region.....within couple of months of looking and applying, I got what I wanted and more in a nearby country.....much much better than Dubai in terms of culture, people, climate, nature and living expenses....let's just say I got a 6 figure USD offer plus many benefits including a very nice villa on the beach...AND, there are many expats as well, from the UK, the US, Canada etc..you get to actually see the locals who are the nicest in the whole region believe it or not :-)

If I must see/visit Dubai then it's just a driving distance away...maybe a nice short vacation with all the shopping that comes with it, but where I will be very soon is a much better place for family and kids.

It really depends on what you want and what's your life style...maybe if you went to other places in Dubai and found others from the UK mix and mingle, maybe things will be better for you....for me, Dubai is not good at all..maybe short visits but definitely not to live there.
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 02, 2007
Hi there

Sounds like you are pretty miserable at the moment. I am not actually living in Dubai yet but will be later this year. My partner arrives to start a new job in dubai today.

Just a couple of thoughts - whenever you move somewhere it does take time to get over the homesickness and settle in. I moved from UK to Australia and know what it is like when you first arrive somewhere.

I have being doing lots of research on Dubai and where to live etc. From what I can gather Bur Dubai would not be the best place for you to stay. When you move out of your hotel you should look for somewhere in an expat area - perhaps sharing an apartment or villa with other expats. Maybe somewhere like Dubai Marina. Your housing allowance would certainly cover this and you would have some left over to supplement your salary. You would also have like minded company.

I think once you are living in an expat area you will make friends and settle in. I really think you have got to wait until you move into new accommodation and see how you feel. Best of luck.
sunnydaze
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: ive been here for nearly a month... Jan 02, 2007
dave101 wrote: bur dubai, is really crap. full of indians

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

why do the indian brother's always get pick'd on hahaha ... u got me feelin bad for em now .
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Jan 02, 2007
Acebravo wrote:The only locals I was able to see and talk to were couple of govt. officials who fully understand why most expats are there in Dubai...they surely do not like the fact that most expats do not care about Dubai and are there on a temp. basis only....they gave me the example of water consumption...I was surprise to learn that Dubai is on top of the list of countries for water consumption....expats have no loyalty they consume water like crazy they know they are leaving anyway...that was just one example. I gather there will be new laws/taxes introduced as a measure to protect Dubai and its resources.

The place is also kind of saturated.....companies now do not offer good packages it would be too expensive for them anyway. I don't think there any employer in Dubai that will offer you a paid nice villa as part of your package...the good ones only give a percentage like 60-70%...with the sky rocketing rent in Dubai that's nothing.

It's a hot country, I'd expect water consumption to be high! They take sea water and process it to use, it's actually a clever system that many other countries could take note of and use to improve their water supplies.

As for the "paid villa", you don't get that paid in your home country so why is it insulting not to have everything paid over here?? Packages have rightly been coming down for Dubai as it's a good place to live and people want to live there, the economies need to become self sustaining, Dubai has virtually no hydrocarbon resources so the artificially high salaries of some oil-rich states cannot be sustained.

I've been here a couple of months, really enjoying it. You do need a bit of cash to enjoy the best of eating/ drinking/ travelling in the area but you can still have a nice life without it. Inflationary pressures are due to ease in 2007 and beyond too, so your cash will go further.

One thing I wouldn't like to be here is a single guy though, seems really tough to meet women as the guys greatly outnumber the women and when you're out at night, well, let's just say it's very difficult to tell who's hired help and who's not.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

dave101 wrote:and i dont think i like it.

from what people are saying on this forum, my wage isnt great, circa 11,000 dirhams a month, plus 7000dirhams/months for accommodation (once my hotel time expires), and 1600 dirhams/month for car. - What are you cribbing about. That amount to roughly 2700pounds tax free per month....
also where i am staying at the moment, bur dubai, is really crap. full of indians and people who have no manners or driving skill. And to say your driving skills are upto the mark..All knowing you have been driving on the wrong side of the road all your life and have just been issued a license here without passing any test...and you are talking about other peoples driving skills.

And the Indians you are talking about are kicking ur ass all over the world in all fields and right in your country too......SO dont fret cus its gonna get worse..... :lol:

tell me, does it get better? - Not for you it doesnt

i am a salesman, i am here from the uk to get our uk business established over here, but i am beginning to thing that maybe i would be better off earning less in the uk.- I think you would...Cus we have salesmen here for a dime a dozen who I bet would be more qualified than you...Just my 2 pence

everyone i meet here are either only here for a few days, or they are not even worth talking to. - Thats maybe cus you are not worth talking tooo...Every thought of that..

btw, i have no one to whine to here, so i came on the forums to see your opinions, what can i do to enjoy my time more? - Wrong place...You are liable to get flamed like u just did....

should i put up and shut up? or should i reconsider my goals? replies from english would be more useful! - Which english would you like to be replied in...Can you understand the queens english or is it too hard???

P.S can also reply in Scous, Scottish, Welsh or any other easier english...

Oh yeah....Happy New Year 2007...

thanks
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

devilsdiciple wrote:All knowing you have been driving on the wrong side of the road all your life and have just been issued a license here without passing any test...and you are talking about other peoples driving skills.

A majority (not all) but most people in Dubai are fricking awful drivers - that is the truth.

I have handled many different vehicales in over 15 countires (HGV in holland to a Taxi in London and a pick up truck in Bangkok)and this is the most dangerous and idiot infested set of roads I have known. So ok the thread starter does not have a UAE license - but have you seen the test to get it? a seven year old could pass that. Also to ADD without wanting to brag on about the UK again - it is one of the worlds hardest and most disciplined tests you can find.

To the original thread - I sat in a hotel for 6 weeks as well, all the time looking out the window and thinking 'what the feck have I done' it was hard, but you get there eventually and then when you have a home and some friends life gets better.

But to be honest you comment on Indians sounds dubious - Dubai is hardly a good place to move to if you don't like being around Indians.

Me personally I would much rather spend time in cafe in downtime Diera watching life go about its thing then sit around with a load of false jumeirah janes discussing prada's new line and which is the best maid to employ.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jan 02, 2007
This isn't a completely terrible place to live, but I certainly don't feel at home here and never will. I am eager to return to my home country. My criteria for quality of living goes beyond sunshine and a good job package.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Inflationary pressures are due to ease in 2007 and beyond too, so your cash will go further.

Please share how do you substantiate this statement? Cheers.
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 02, 2007
Dave 101, to make it simpler moving to dubai makes u choose between Healthy social life vs. Money making. It is ur call. think well before u decide.
8)
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jan 02, 2007
beaujarle wrote:
scot1870 wrote:Inflationary pressures are due to ease in 2007 and beyond too, so your cash will go further.

I do a lot of work in economic analysis. Inflation has been primarily driven by a lack of housing which has pushed up rents, wages and therefore prices. The amount of housing units (admittedly, mostly high end) coming on to the market in 2007 will mean that the pressures will ease substantially. Add to that, more retail space and quite simply a threshold on how much people are prepared to pay for things means that things will get better from now on.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:
beaujarle wrote:

I do a lot of work in economic analysis. Inflation has been primarily driven by a lack of housing which has pushed up rents, wages and therefore prices. The amount of housing units (admittedly, mostly high end) coming on to the market in 2007 will mean that the pressures will ease substantially. Add to that, more retail space and quite simply a threshold on how much people are prepared to pay for things means that things will get better from now on.

Thanks mate..hope its true as I should be there somewhere in March. 8) :)
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 02, 2007
Scot, do you think things will get better for the lower-wage workers?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:
Acebravo wrote:The only locals I was able to see and talk to were couple of govt. officials who fully understand why most expats are there in Dubai...they surely do not like the fact that most expats do not care about Dubai and are there on a temp. basis only....they gave me the example of water consumption...I was surprise to learn that Dubai is on top of the list of countries for water consumption....expats have no loyalty they consume water like crazy they know they are leaving anyway...that was just one example. I gather there will be new laws/taxes introduced as a measure to protect Dubai and its resources.

It's a hot country, I'd expect water consumption to be high! They take sea water and process it to use, it's actually a clever system that many other countries could take note of and use to improve their water supplies.

As for the "paid villa", you don't get that paid in your home country so why is it insulting not to have everything paid over here?? Packages have rightly been coming down for Dubai as it's a good place to live and people want to live there, the economies need to become self sustaining, Dubai has virtually no hydrocarbon resources so the artificially high salaries of some oil-rich states cannot be sustained.

I've been here a couple of months, really enjoying it. You do need a bit of cash to enjoy the best of eating/ drinking/ travelling in the area but you can still have a nice life without it. Inflationary pressures are due to ease in 2007 and beyond too, so your cash will go further.

One thing I wouldn't like to be here is a single guy though, seems really tough to meet women as the guys greatly outnumber the women and when you're out at night, well, let's just say it's very difficult to tell who's hired help and who's not.

I was refering to base pay as insulting Scot not a "paid villa", quite frankly paid accomodation is not all that a big deal as long as I get what I believe I'm worth....for me, a base salary of $4000 USD is an insult.
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 03, 2007
Acebravo wrote:I was refering to base pay as insulting Scot not a "paid villa", quite frankly paid accomodation is not all that a big deal as long as I get what I believe I'm worth....for me, a base salary of $4000 USD is an insult.

Sorry! :oops:

On the low paid workers one, got to say things don't look too good, not enough cheap accomodation coming online, hard to tell if worker rights will be properly implemented etc. As always, they lose out, the sad thing is the government has stacks of cash but isn't spending it supporting the people needed to keep the boom going.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 20, 2007
i dont mean to be offensive when i say 'too many indians'

also, yes i guess things will get better, with time, as things invariably do.

thanks for the input, also to the 'flamer' all advice is appreciated
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 20, 2007
hey Dave i have been living in bur dubai since oct now at first i hated it but got to say it's growing on me unlike szr you can cross the roads without to much risk to your life. really not that far from anything got a couple of ok pubs around. as for the lack of brits around i know how you feel being one my-self but once you meet a few people you should find it easier. it's never easy leaving friends and partners back in the uk and dubai is not without it's downsides thats for sure but the uk has them too. like i said once you get to meet a few more people you should find your feet. as for your salary it doesn't sound to bad my advice give it a chance for a while if you arn't happy head back home at least you can say you had the exprience. :D
emurella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007
dave101 wrote:i dont mean to be offensive when i say 'too many indians'
also, yes i guess things will get better, with time, as things invariably do.
thanks for the input, also to the 'flamer' all advice is appreciated

All you need is more time to adapt. I guess you're just being homesick right now ;)
And more or less 20K per month, it's not that bad at all. You can still live decently and save some money.
About bad traffic/manner, you must have not seen the traffic/manner big cities of India. I'm telling you, Dubai's is "nothing" ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 21, 2007
currently been here with my wife for a couple of weeks. staying in bur dubai as well tempararily, know exactly what you mean. happy to meet up at ramada/ goodfellas for a few beers?
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 21, 2007
I just came in Bur Dubai to check out a room to stay, it's really very crowded, it reminds me a square in Athens (Omonoia) :D

I believe 20K are not bad at all, what i've been told the first 1-2 years you won't get so much money, but as you gain more experience from the local market you'll have the chance to close a better deal with some company.

Honestly i don't know what to believe but i'm optimistic :)
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 21, 2007
Greekman wrote:I just came in Bur Dubai to check out a room to stay, it's really very crowded, it reminds me a square in Athens (Omonoia) :D

Bur Dubai (Meena Bazaar, Old Pakistani, Rolla Street areas) - yes, they are very crowded. But "Golden Sands" area is better and more into mid-high levels. Mankhool is also better if you're looking for calmer place. Off course, price won't lie.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 24, 2007
emurella, i think your right, just wait and see, even if i dont like it, at least i will have a clear credit card when i go home, but i will be here for 1 year certainly, but personal affairs may make me move home after that time.

but hey ho, time to work hard and play hard. time to book another snowboarding lesson methinks. (my spine isnt quite recovered from last time, but wow, its so much fun!)

thanks everyone, i am feeling better, but i thought moving here would be no big deal, im not a sentimental sort of guy, but coming here has mademe realise i am a a closet homesick jesse afterall!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2007
hey dave.... well we should meet up for some snowboarding sometime soon :).... but i usually hang out for 1 entire day there......

it gets better...trust me.....once u meet up with some other foreigners and form a clique you'd have so much to share, do and talk about... coz everyone's a foreigner!

about the indians...well....they come along with the Dubai package. they are a friendly bunch.......a lil talkative but still frenly. you've got the good ones...you've got the bad ones...what can you say? the same applies to all races.

with regards to the driving....i guess the only thing you can do is DO YOUR BIT in following the rules. i know i do. i'm not bothered how others drive.... just drive well and lets hope you set an example for others to follow.
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2007
Wow, I am moving to Dubai around March, and this post got me worries... To begin with. But after thinking about it, I still think I'll be fine. I lived in Singapore for 3 years and I think what got me through it was keeping an open mind and making the most f the possibilities placed infront of you.
Instead of looking at Dubai as a place of misery (Where you live, how much you earn, what people you associate with), turn it around. Sure, you live in a shyte part of Dubai, but at least it's not Iraq. You're pay may not be as good as you expected or as good as the person's next to you, but at least you don't have to pay tax. The people you speak to may not be the sharpest knives in the set.... but, well... Keep looking.
If I were in your position (which I'm sure I will be once I move over there) just soak up the experience and run with it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at the end of the day, it's you and you only that decides whether or not you like the place. So open your mind, enjoy yourself, soak it in and if you can't handle it anymore that you feel as though you'd rather be shovelling horse crap then... go do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still... I look forward to heading over that way very shortly!!!!
PTMike
Dubai Forums Member

ive been here 4 months now.... Apr 16, 2007
and i guess you were all right, it was just working it out my system.

i am settled now, i go out and do many activities now, and everything is settled, i can ust gfet on now and enjoy my life here, woohoo!

does anybody like skating, snowboarding, bodyboarding, paintball?
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 17, 2007
good to hear you are settled in , waited a long time to reply to this post as this is the usual reaction that people have when they are new to Dubai, especially your comments on Bur dubai region( was obvious u would get a culture shock). One has to accept the fact that this is a predominantly indian and pakistani dominated area, hope that doesnt make you uncomfertable. A few Indians and pakistanis are good company as well , try it sometime.

Salary as many have mentioned , you have a decent package, though it depends on your lifestyle and activities, guess you have already got that sorted out.

Abotu your latest query, for paintball get in touch with bleakus, hes the dude who lives for paintball. apart from that if you are interested in meeting a few forum members we have a karaoke organized on the 19th of april, in case u wanna join us PM Dr. D he will send u the deatils provided there are any seats left.

And dont be surprised If I am an Indian :lol:

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2007
Jeevan wrote:And dont be surprised If I am an Indian :lol:

You're what? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 17, 2007
a red indian :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: ive been here 4 months now.... Apr 17, 2007
dave101 wrote:and i guess you were all right, it was just working it out my system.

i am settled now, i go out and do many activities now, and everything is settled, i can ust gfet on now and enjoy my life here, woohoo!

does anybody like skating, snowboarding, bodyboarding, paintball?

Good to hear you're settling in. Hubby and I havve been here only 3 months and feel like we've just started to get the hang of things here. I still hate driving though.

I'll be up for a slide at ski dubai! :)
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2007
That comment about expats wasting water was really stupid. Some of us "poor" expats actually use less because we PAY for it. We expats are not the ones trying to grow a green forest in the middle of the desert.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum