Advice Regarding My Arrival!

Topic locked
Advice regarding my arrival! Nov 21, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm coming from Canada to Dubai soon. I just wanted to know what I'm missing here...

I'm a project/operations manager for a cellphone service provider.

My compensation looks like
-10K USD/mth
-5 month contract
-Paid accomodations, 1 bedroom apartment. Is there an ideal area? I've been reading about an Internet free zone?
-Paid car - Is the driving really that bad? Should I just get a taxi perdiem?
-Medical insurance
-Possibility of fulltime after.
-I think the offices are in Garhoud?

I don't know what "paid" means, and should I worry about hidden costs?

Also, what television standard do they use in Dubai? NTSC or PAL? I want to bring my XBOX.

How hard is it to set up a bank account? Are there any canadian branches of banks there? HSBC maybe?

Finally: Are there any Korean people in Dubai? I know there are lots of people visiting, but any expats?

I'm under 30, and singlea single guy. No kids.

Thanks!

deefz
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 21, 2006
Take it ! Take it all!! :)
Just confirm whether the 1 bedroom apt and car is SEPERATE from your 10k salary.
Then you're really set.

:)

There shouldn't be any hidden costs, except for what I mentioned above. Even if your car and apt. are included in that package, you're still quite well off in my opinion.

TV system is PAL and voltage is 220, so make sure your adaptor is mutlvoltage or get a converter.
Bank accounts are easy; yes many international banks are here including HSBC.

Korean - no idea, but since everyone is in Dubai, I'm sure there are!

Good luck! :)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Advice regarding my arrival! Nov 21, 2006
deefz wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm coming from Canada to Dubai soon. I just wanted to know what I'm missing here...

I'm a project/operations manager for a cellphone service provider.

My compensation looks like
-10K USD/mth
-5 month contract
-Paid accomodations, 1 bedroom apartment. Is there an ideal area? I've been reading about an Internet free zone?-I think the offices are in Garhoud?

If you're practical and would like to live near your office then choose any of these locations - deira, muraqqabat and garhoud - for your flat/apartment. If not, there are ideal flats in jumierah and going to SZR area.

-Paid car - Is the driving really that bad? Should I just get a taxi perdiem?
-Medical insurance
-Possibility of fulltime after.
For the meantime, you can rent a car if the company will not provide you one Or hire a taxi.

I don't know what "paid" means, and should I worry about hidden costs?

Let me see, I think it's all inclusive in your package. If you still have question in mind regarding the details of your contract, the company signatory who signed the contract is the best person to answer your queries. :wink:

How hard is it to set up a bank account? Are there any canadian branches of banks there? HSBC maybe?
Lots of banks here in dubai. There is HSBC too.

Finally: Are there any Korean people in Dubai? I know there are lots of people visiting, but any expats?
Hmm... more koreans and japs in maktoum area..Marriot apartments..

I'm under 30, and single a single guy. No kids. Thanks!
As per Ian, you're inviting! :lol:

Have a safe trip to Dubai. Welcome to DF!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 21, 2006
hey guys, thank you for the info, i appreciate the prompt responses!

Of the three, Deira, Muraqqabat, and Garhoud, which would be the most convient from a nightlife perspective?

...as for taxi's, just how convienent are they? I recall moments when I was in singapore and finding a taxi was extremely difficult.

Orientals (chinese, japanese, koreans, etc..), are there a lot of them in Dubai? Where do they hang out? I'm curious to see if theres any truth to there being a chinatown in every major city in the world.

Thanks!
deefz
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 21, 2006
deefz wrote:hey guys, thank you for the info, i appreciate the prompt responses!

Of the three, Deira, Muraqqabat, and Garhoud, which would be the most convient from a nightlife perspective?

Garhoud - near to your office, near to some "nightlife".

...as for taxi's, just how convienent are they? I recall moments when I was in singapore and finding a taxi was extremely difficult.
More taxis in dubai. Some taxis smell bad. if your sense of smell is adaptable then that would not be a problem. :D

Orientals (chinese, japanese, koreans, etc..), are there a lot of them in Dubai? Where do they hang out? I'm curious to see if theres any truth to there being a chinatown in every major city in the world.
They are everywhere in dubai, no worries. More chinese in deira and in karama also. There's dragon mart - chinese mall i could say.

Thanks!
You're Welcome!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 21, 2006
There's dragon mart - chinese mall i could say.

Which isn't up to much. It's a real disappointment, actually.

Ross
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 30, 2006
hi im taking my xbox and xbox 360 when i go next week, they are scarce and expensive in dubai,
i might even buy a wii in uk and sell it at a profit in dubai!

we will have to play sometime!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum