What To Tip In The UAE?

Topic locked
What to tip in the UAE? Jun 10, 2005
I am flying into Dubai on Sunday and Emirates will drive me to my hotel in Abu Dhabi where I spend the first half of the week before coming back to Dubai.

What are the tipping customs in the UAE? How much should I tip?

TravelingMan
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 10, 2005
don't bother.
laila k m
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: What to tip in the UAE? Jun 10, 2005
TravelingMan wrote:I am flying into Dubai on Sunday and Emirates will drive me to my hotel in Abu Dhabi where I spend the first half of the week before coming back to Dubai.

I HATE tipping. Recently me and my friends went to an Indian restaurant. The owner was closing the restaurant , we asked to serve as last customer. The foos was alrite and good. But that @ss kept asking for money cos he was closing the counter(lying f@g). So I gave him my credit card and he charged me for the dinner. When he bought the receipt for signing he told us to take our own time. I asked my freinds did they have some loose cash so we can tip that f@g and none of my friends had. So we ended up not giving him the money . After 5 mins he started yelling "Guys we are closed". My 2 freinds took their @ss out, I was about to start a row with that moron but my freinds intervened. So from that day I took and oath never to give those @ss fools tip!
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 10, 2005
good on ya
laila k m
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: What to tip in the UAE? Jun 10, 2005
TravelingMan wrote:I am flying into Dubai on Sunday and Emirates will drive me to my hotel in Abu Dhabi where I spend the first half of the week before coming back to Dubai.

I usually give roughly 10% for meals etc, but that's if there hasn't been a previously added 'service charge' (quite common).

dubai's a place where everything is done for you- people even bring your groceries to your car- the fact that these poor people have to do shite like that FOR us is enough reason to give them a few dirhams!

have fun visiting :)
De-Profundis
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 10, 2005
laila k m wrote:good on ya

C guys laila agrees with moi that it was good i didnt give that magg0t tip. Thanks darl. SMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMotch! :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 10, 2005
Tipping is for losers!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: What to tip in the UAE? Jun 30, 2005
De-Profundis wrote:

I usually give roughly 10% for meals etc, but that's if there hasn't been a previously added 'service charge' (quite common).

dubai's a place where everything is done for you- people even bring your groceries to your car- the fact that these poor people have to do shite like that FOR us is enough reason to give them a few dirhams!

have fun visiting :)

yeah i have to agree to that but i also agree to sniper if i was in that situation...

i mean i tip,.. my tips are usually from 5 dh above... (depends on the service) but since sniper had shared his share of bad service,.. ill share mine ,. I guess dubai Transport doesnt really much care about their driver's attitude man geeez i tip taxi drivers min of 3 dh / per ride but dubai transport is fucked !!!! i asked him to take me to burjuman, when we where about 2 mins away from burdubai, a friend called me and asked me to pick her up her building is at the back of spineys its allong the way so i asked him to go to the specific building first, then the fcuker said "shit" !!!! freaking bastard !!!!! this is not the first time i was freaking insulted by dbai transport taxi drivers !!!! i mean these guys need some sorting in their fcking attitude !!!!
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: What to tip in the UAE? Jun 30, 2005
De-Profundis wrote:I usually give roughly 10% for meals etc, but that's if there hasn't been a previously added 'service charge' (quite common).

thats right...if there is no service charges then tip otherwise don't bother

De-Profundis wrote:dubai's a place where everything is done for you- people even bring your groceries to your car- the fact that these poor people have to do shite like that FOR us is enough reason to give them a few dirhams!

thank god i'm not THAT lazy :P
devilsmind
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 02, 2005
If there's added service charge I won't tip extra, I hate having that included particularly if the service is no good.

I'll tip if the service, food etc etc is good and worth a tip, but you have to make sure the persona actually gets the tip, as many times it all goes into a kitty and they don't get it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

.. Jul 02, 2005
Most restaurants out here have a service charge included in the bill. I understand that the booty is divided among the staff at the end of the month.

normally the recommended tip is about 10% out here.

Enjoy yourself.
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 17, 2005
I heard from friends that you dont need to tip anytthings..
nezar33
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat