Environmentally Friendly Cars In Dubai?

Topic locked
Environmentally friendly cars in Dubai? Nov 01, 2006
Ok Ok ... don't laugh :(
With all this news about global warming and the world's shift in pollution-reducing practices, you wonder if we in Dubai here should take notice, especially with all that stuff about the size of our ecological footprint in the UAE.
There I was considering to buy a Prado 4.0 super-gas guzzler (certainly by UK standards!) when all the news hit me and I felt the strange sensation of guilt - something I am often bereft off ....
So I thought hey it might be good for the soul, mind and the pocket if I bought an environmentally friendly car :idea:
This glaze of temporary happiness descended on me before I realised .. hang on! This is Dubai ... do we even get those type of vehicles here ? ....

... well do we ... ?
:?

haMMer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 01, 2006
I don't think you'll be able to go to a dealership like Honda or Toyota and buy the hybrid model of the Civic or Pryus but I did see Ford Escape hybrid at Al Aweer once and a Honda insight driving on the road. I'd worry though, even if you were inclined to import one in, how easy would it be to service?

Maybe you can compromise a little, like for example:

1. instead of getting a 4X4, get the same model in the 4X2 version (i'm assuming you'll be driving mostly on the roads)

2. Don't get a car that is too big for your needs (I disagree with the whole "bigger is safer", read any safety magazine and you'll know this is far from the truth)

3. try reorganizing your errands so you go to one area of the city once instead of back and forth.

4. Drive slower :lol: (please not in the left lane)

5. Take public transport, okay busses suck but there are share taxis and the like that will save you tons and are a viable option if you are living in a community where many people commute to a similar destination.

6. Ride your bike, except in Sharjah where it is a felony :shock: , weather is getting quite nice. (I use to walk to work when I lived in the city, a nice way to start the day)

Because gas prices are moderate compared to many parts of the world, you can get really nice/bigger cars for likely cheaper than you can in your home country, the lack of government support/infrastructure to support alternative fuelled vehicles make it not a feasible option for many.

Good on you for at least thinking about it though.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 01, 2006
Here is a link to research some of the greener cars you can find in different car classes. Not all of the models are available here, and you'd have to check their safety rating separately. http://www.greenercars.com/indexplus.html

After seeing the driving here we opted for a Murano which was on the green car list for mid-sized SUV's. It has a 5 star safety rating, can be operated in 2 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive to make it more economical, and it's height and weight make it efficient and safe on the crazy roads here. We started out with a rented Ford Focus and got bullied on the road by inconsiderate and dangerous drivers and we simply did not feel safe. When I move back to my home country I'll have my Toyota Prius or my Lexus hybrid sedan. :) My goal in Dubai is to survive.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote: :) My goal is Dubai is to survive.

hahahahaha that is the best answer to driving in Dubai, love it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 01, 2006
fayz wrote:
kanelli wrote: :) My goal is Dubai is to survive.

hahahahaha that is the best answer to driving in Dubai, love it.

Kanelli

how are the car lessons coming along...i have successfully learn how to manuevre around round abouts now...hopeless when it comes to turning...hahaha....all my ambitions of buying a mustang are gone...think i might settle for a cheap and cheerful granny car... :lol:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 01, 2006
I'm close to my test date now - am waiting to find out when it will be. Only a few more driving lessons left. I took the full package of driving lessons since I was technically considered a beginner. I can say that I am already a much better driver than about 70% of the people currently on the road.

Even when I get my license I will stick to the slower side roads for a while. Sheikh Zayed, Al Khail and Emirates Ring Road will have to wait until I gain more confidence and more skills anticipating the moronic behaviour of so many drivers here. I don't want to have an accident when drivers are going in excess of 120 kmph. :roll: It's a jungle out there! Grrrrr.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
fayz wrote:I don't think you'll be able to go to a dealership like Honda or Toyota and buy the hybrid model of the Civic or Pryus but I did see Ford Escape hybrid at Al Aweer once and a Honda insight driving on the road. I'd worry though, even if you were inclined to import one in, how easy would it be to service?

tell me you're joking ... Honda insight here ? can you imagine a head-on between a GMC truck and a Honda Insight? :shock:
Poor Honda will be trampled on Sheikh Zayed Road!

In the UK Lexus released the first hybrid performance 4x4 - anyone know of that and if it is available here - it'll save you alot $$$ of fuel in the traffic jams ...
haMMer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 01, 2006
no joke, truthfully saw one and on SZR in the left lane, actually the day I saw that was also the one and only time I've seen an NSX in Dubai, not sure if there was some kinda honda meet?

the Lexus 400H isn't going to be sold here from what I've heard but you could import one, from North America (just so it would have the steering wheel on the correct side) my worry would be service and warranty...

Nice car though..for those that don't know about it, click here.
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en ... &year=2007
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 01, 2006
I asked the Toyota and Lexus dealers and they said they had no plans to introduce hybrid vehicles in the UAE. The gas is cheap and people don't really care to pay more for the hybrid technology. Environmentalism isn't big here.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:Environmentalism isn't big here.

environmental..what?...watchoo u talkin abt..we don't know things like that here :lol:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 01, 2006
Here is another one that might be of interest to you guys....

I'm a big X5 fan plus you just can't complain when you have nearly 500 ft-lbs of torque

http://www.hybrid-car.org/bmw-hybrid.html
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 02, 2006
kanelli wrote:Here is a link to research some of the greener cars you can find in different car classes. Not all of the models are available here, and you'd have to check their safety rating separately. http://www.greenercars.com/indexplus.html

After seeing the driving here we opted for a Murano which was on the green car list for mid-sized SUV's. It has a 5 star safety rating, can be operated in 2 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive to make it more economical, and it's height and weight make it efficient and safe on the crazy roads here. We started out with a rented Ford Focus and got bullied on the road by inconsiderate and dangerous drivers and we simply did not feel safe. When I move back to my home country I'll have my Toyota Prius or my Lexus hybrid sedan. :) My goal in Dubai is to survive.

Getting bullied on the road is a lame reason to buy a 4WD. I drive a tiny old Mercedes on the fast lane every day, and make slow 4WDs move over.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 03, 2006
You are likely a road bully - they come in all shapes and sizes on the roads in Dubai. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 03, 2006
kanelli wrote:You are likely a road bully - they come in all shapes and sizes on the roads in Dubai. :lol:

Aww hell yeah! But I do not tailgate or flash headlights however. I just prod them to move if I can see that there are no cars in front of them while they chug along at 100 kph in the fast lane. I hate tailgaters who bug me at 140 kph.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 03, 2006
gtmash wrote:
kanelli wrote:You are likely a road bully - they come in all shapes and sizes on the roads in Dubai. :lol:

Aww hell yeah! But I do not tailgate or flash headlights however. I just prod them to move if I can see that there are no cars in front of them while they chug along at 100 kph in the fast lane. I hate tailgaters who bug me at 140 kph.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if I have come accross you on SZR in a morning? Interesting.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 03, 2006
kanelli wrote:I'm close to my test date now - am waiting to find out when it will be. Only a few more driving lessons left. I took the full package of driving lessons since I was technically considered a beginner. I can say that I am already a much better driver than about 70% of the people currently on the road.

Even when I get my license I will stick to the slower side roads for a while. Sheikh Zayed, Al Khail and Emirates Ring Road will have to wait until I gain more confidence and more skills anticipating the moronic behaviour of so many drivers here. I don't want to have an accident when drivers are going in excess of 120 kmph. :roll: It's a jungle out there! Grrrrr.

WTF, you getting your DL, bloody hell, you are "gobby" enough on here, can't imagine what you will like in car! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: with all these "a$$hole" drivers around :D
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto