PLEASE HELP I AM GOING CRAZY, CANADIAN OR JUST ANYONE HELP!!

Topic locked
PLEASE HELP I AM GOING CRAZY, CANADIAN OR JUST ANYONE HELP!! Oct 12, 2006
Ok i have now spent 4 days in dubai. I am living in the golden sands area which the company is paying for.
I am looking for a place, just went through the area behind bank street/oasis hotel, it reminds me of SHERBORNE street which is not cool.
The other option is this area it'self, but after seeing that whole area i don't think I want to live in burdubai anymore.
I am just re-starting, so I cannot afford Sheikh Zayed rd or the Marina.
Let's get to barsha, behind the mall of the emirates, I have not checked it out as yet.
last option is international city, how is international city, instead of giving 50-69k in rent am i not better off just buying one for 400k please advise.

P.S. I USED TO LIVE IN TORONTO IN THE YONGE AND SHEPPARD AREA, TRIDEL BUILDING JUST SO THAT YOU KBOW THE KIND OF LOCALITY/COWD I AM HOPING TO BE SURROUNDED BY.

THANKS AGAIN

CANADIANLEAFNATION
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 12, 2006
Translation: Yonge & Sheppard = Young & Cool.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2006
IMO Golden Sands area supposed to be one of the better and reasonable residential area in Dubai, yet with comfortable of proximity to essential things (stores, restaurants, etc). There are lots of EU/US expats living there. It's not so crowded like Meena Bazaar, Karama, or Satwa.

Al Barsha area or The Greens also are good, rates more or less the same (70-85 for 1BR). Less crowded and also nothing there except Emirates Mall. Unless you get your own car and you work nearby (like in DIC, DMC).

Others (Marina, Springs, Jumeirah, etc) might be better, but it's too overpriced (at least for me).

So now depends on your budget and preferences (area, facility, proximity to workplace). If you have limited budget, you have to accept/tolerate a little bit. It's sad that here the accomodation is very expensive and yet the quality is poorer than other countries (for the same price). Welcome to Dubai...
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

FOUND IT Oct 14, 2006
Ok i have decided to move to AL Barsha, 5 min walk to Mall of the Emirates.

For anyone reading this or moving to Dubai, I think this might be helpful for you. PLEASE NOTE I WILL ONLY DISCUSS PLACES WHERE THERE ARE APARTMENTS.

The best area I found for apartments in Dubai was the Marina, the apartments there are very expensive min90 i bed-125.

Golden Sands area is nice, but ther are a couple to things you must consider, if you are coming with your family normaly there are a lot of hookers in the area as all the hotels are in that area and it is a tourist spot so lots of hookers. The other side which is the Oasis Court area is a little run down, there are some nice buildings, but mixed in with older, cheaper ones, so the general crowd is not that good, which made me leave the city.

I then considered burj Duabi (not the hotel the district, also called sheikh zayed road area), awesome place, but again too expensive 90k+++.

After that you have Al-Barsha 70k+ range I got mine for 72,500, there are some new buildings coming up, if u need an apt. starting dec. there is a lot of availability starting dec for 69k. The crowd here is all proffesionals I would not advice this area for you if you were a bachelor, the mall of the emirates is right there.

After that you have the greens, the price for this starts at 85k I did not see the point of paying that extra 10k+, also a family oriented area.

Lastly, you have international city, apts. vary from 40k to 65k. This is a new area, only two drawbacks, one the sewage which I could smell from the highway when driving up through dragon city mall, not much smell close to the development though, second not sure of the type of crowd that is going to come there. I actually really liked the development but did not choose int. city as my wife is not here as yet and I did not want to make a risky decision. I would really consider buying there in a year or so as they are very reasonably priced.

Oh yeah, I found Deira to be an overall turnoff.

Other parts of Bur dubai aside from the Golden Sands area, is not cool. If you are single then golden sands is great for you. If you can afford a nice building in that area it will cost you 80k(golden sands2) and are a family person I would suggest add another 5-10k to that a move to the marina or the greens.
CANADIANLEAFNATION
Dubai Forums Member

Thanks for the Info. Oct 14, 2006
LeafFan,

Thanks for the info, I've been looking at various areasf rom here, but I guess I'll get a better feel for things when I arrive in Dec.

GO LEAFS GO !!

CanuckEng
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 15, 2006
Good luck with your stay.

Barsha is a good place. It's even nearer to my workplace in DIC. But for me, first it's a bit more expensive (though I still can afford) and second there's nothing there (yet) except Emirates Mall.

I guess different people have different purposes.
Myself, I'd prefer proximity to essentials like store, supermarket, mall, school, etc. That's why I'm happy with current my apt location (opposite Burjuman, behind Regent Palace Hotel) for 65K (1BR). Very strategic. Everything is near. My wife can just walk 100m to drop my daughter to nursery school ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

duabi Nov 07, 2006
Appreciate the info, I just got back from uae for three week stay visiting a new employer. We are in Sharjah and go into Dubai as required, it's not bad if you can avoid the traffic! It looks like that's where we'll be initially for the big move in January!

Any Canadian groups, associations you can speak of?

I AM!
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum