Do You Think Fat People Should Be Discriminated Against?

Topic locked

Do you think fat people should be discriminated against?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 19

Oct 10, 2006
Tough question, but on initial thoughts = NO.

However, those that are FAT due to over-indulgence should be shown the error of their ways, but not discriminated against. How you differentiate between shown the error of their ways and discriminate is another subject. :lol: :lol:

yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 10, 2006
Also, as the saying goes "it takes all sorts to make the world". This applies to small and tall, thin and fat, ugly and beautiful people.

There's a place in life for everyone. Some men/women like fat people of the opposite sex.

No, do not discriminate
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 10, 2006
Why ian does fat have different meaning in different countries ?

I thought fat means:

overweight, plump, chubby, stout, portly, obese, heavy, large, huge, enormous .....

:?:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 10, 2006
As a pleasantly Plump person I vote NO
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 10, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Tough question, but on initial thoughts = NO.

However, those that are FAT due to over-indulgence should be shown the error of their ways, but not discriminated against. How you differentiate between shown the error of their ways and discriminate is another subject. :lol: :lol:

come on! Feipo isnt tat fat :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 10, 2006
Personally I'm afraid to say that I'm a little fatist. If it's through medical problems then fair enough, but if it's through sheer greediness and not having the will power to stop eating those pies, then it's their fault.

I just don't get how some people can let themselves get that big. Obesity is becoming a global problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 10, 2006
Obese is the term I prefer to use, and there is a definition of that according to a person's body mass index. Most people should be aware of that definition.

Well, if we want to compare a smoker to a fat person - let's just say that a smoker pollutes the indoor air for everyone - including those who choose not to smoke. A fat person does not affect the health of others around them. Both smokers and obese people will cost taxpayers a lot of money in the long run because of cancer and diabetes etc., so there should definitely be health campaigns to try to change people's smoking and eating behaviours.

As for airline seats and other ways of accommodating obese people - yes, a certain level of discrimination is okay. If they have to make huge economy class airline seats it means less people can fly on a plane, then it costs everyone more money to fly. So, I say have reasonable sized seats and leave that as an incentive for obese people to try to lose the weight. The other alternative is to ask obese people to pay the extra money and upgrade to business or first class where the seats are large enough. I'm tall and there are only so many seats in economy class with adequate leg room (and I hardly ever manage to get one), so I am already being discriminated against for my height. Why not obese people too? :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 10, 2006
Who asked you Nismo, get out of here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 10, 2006
Fat people are discriminated against all day, every day. I do not believe they should be, however, I am guilty of doing it myself.

Many times I just feel sorry for them (wonder if they have a physical problem), wonder if they are large because of medications they have to take, and/or if they really eat as much as they look like they do.

I tend to be more tolerant of things like this....Why is someone gay? There is usually a valid reason. What if someone is fat? What if someone smokes too much? Or drinks too much? There are many vices that people have, and who am I to judge? When I was younger I was in the modeling profession, then was an HR Manager for a large company. I saw many people axed because of their size, and/or other physical attributes......it is never pleasant to deal with, but we all have tendencies to descriminate in particular situations.....hypicritical, but true.

When my daughter was little, she totally could not stand "fat people". I had never discussed this with her, and I didn't ever understand. As she got older I never heard her say anything like that again- I can't really remember how I handled the situation, but she managed to not say hurtful things like that again about people. Guess she had never been around a "fat" person.

I have known and loved many plump or fat people in my life. My grandmother was a big woman, but she was the most beautiful lady I had ever known. Love is in the eye of the beholder! As I have gotten older I try to be more forgiving of other's. Outer beauty is very deceiving...you do not always get what you had hoped for.
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Do you think fat people should be discriminated against? Oct 10, 2006
Do you think fat people should be discriminated against?

Of course you should post your definition of fat.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 10, 2006
no u should aint dicriminate against fats
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2006
I prefer the expression 'stout'...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 11, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:I prefer the expression 'stout'...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

i happen to be quite a bit PLUMP my self
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Who asked you Nismo, get out of here.

nismo is fat dont hate him for that sage
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 11, 2006
If because of his/her condition, you pity a morbidly obese person and try to be extra nice to him/her, is that a form of discrimination? :?
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Oct 11, 2006
y do ask this stupid question in first place yorky haunts me
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat