Moving Or Not Moving To Dubai?

Topic locked
moving or not moving to dubai? Oct 10, 2006
hello everyone,
my husband just got an offer for a job in dubai in the hotel industry and he has to decide pretty quickly if he is going to take it or not. (we are currently in the us and our visa expire soon.)
we are clueless about dubai and are just starting to gather info, so it would really be great to receive your advices.
here is the package: salary Dh4500, medical for both of us (but no dental and no vision), 1bedroom, transportation from home to work (so we guess some kind of shuttle) and 1 airline tkt to home country for my husband. we have a 15months old baby and will have to pay for visa, medical... plus we would prefer a 2bedroom (i guess will receive an allowance and will have to pay difference).
salary seems really low and we feel that it won't cover our basic expenses, but we really don't know the cost of living, all we've read is that it's getting more and more expensive over there.
so what do you think guys? are we really in bad shape? personally, i think so but like i said, we are clueless about dubai.
i'm really ready to work but don't think i will get a job right away since i didn't work for the past 5years (not allowed here in the us)
thanks in advance for your replies!!!

yco
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 10, 2006
Thats $1200 US. Could you reasonably live on $1200 US after tax at home with the package that you just set out?

Then consider that most things will be probably be a bit more expensive.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2006
You mentioned you will be provided by the company a 1BR apt (the biggest expense of all), so it means 4500 is mostly for groceries and daily expenses. Roughly, you can survive with that amount but you can't save a lot. And forget about 2BR apt, it's too costly.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 10, 2006
Is it 4,500 Dhs? or 45,000 Dhs?? If it is only 4,500 Dhs and you are considering this, then something is wrong with my eyes...but if its 45,000 Dhs per month..then walla you can afford to live high in Dubai.

Things are pretty much expensive here somehow...Accomodation is the highest then the rest are just in the same level. :wink:

any other questions xty?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 10, 2006
Hi Yco,

That is not enough. I make more money but still not enough even if I'm single.

Current status of bank account = 0aed.

Please rethink and renegotiate.
girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: moving or not moving to dubai? Oct 10, 2006
yco wrote:hello everyone,
my husband just got an offer for a job in dubai in the hotel industry and he has to decide pretty quickly if he is going to take it or not. (we are currently in the us and our visa expire soon.)
we are clueless about dubai and are just starting to gather info, so it would really be great to receive your advices.
here is the package: salary Dh4500, medical for both of us (but no dental and no vision), 1bedroom, transportation from home to work (so we guess some kind of shuttle) and 1 airline tkt to home country for my husband. we have a 15months old baby and will have to pay for visa, medical... plus we would prefer a 2bedroom (i guess will receive an allowance and will have to pay difference).
salary seems really low and we feel that it won't cover our basic expenses, but we really don't know the cost of living, all we've read is that it's getting more and more expensive over there.
so what do you think guys? are we really in bad shape? personally, i think so but like i said, we are clueless about dubai.
i'm really ready to work but don't think i will get a job right away since i didn't work for the past 5years (not allowed here in the us)
thanks in advance for your replies!!!

This looks like a really low level offer, I would even be concerned at the quality of apartment you would be offered as at todays rates a halfway decent apartment 1 bed is going to cost Dhs.50,000 per year and above, then you have power, water and housing tax to pay.
You have to pay for visa medical and air ticket, and with a 15month baby means if you work you have to pay a baby sitter.
As Girl Glen has said, re-negotiate it's not enough

Good luck
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 10, 2006
@zam:
no, the OP said they will be provided 1BR apt separately OUT OF the 4500 AED per month for daily expenses. at least that's what I catch. OP, please reconfirm.

4500 AED per month, one can survive with this amount decently (normal meal, once a week going to mall or eat outside, public transportation) for single/couple living in studio/1BR. I'm talking about SURVIVING almost without savings, not to live in luxury. Unless the OP used to live in luxury (like many Dubaians), then it's not enough even for one night of partying ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 11, 2006
hi everyone and thank you so much for your replies.
yes we will be provided a 1bedroom (with or without utilities included, we don't know).
you confirmed our fear: salary too low to live decently in dubai.
my husband is going to renegotiate but not knowing the market is quite difficult for us to give a figure. does anyone has any idea about the salary range for a manager in hotel industry (room division: front desk manager or guest services manager...)? having in mind that he is european (sorry to give you this detail but apparently, as i read in all the other posts, where you come from is also important in determining a salary). well, hope it's not too much asking. we really appreciate your past and future answers. thank you guys!
yco
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum