Warm Up Car Engine When Cold?

Topic locked

Does anyeone wait for their car to warm up if the engine is cold before starting your trip?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Not needed in UAE
15%

Total votes : 20

Warm up car engine when cold? Sep 13, 2006
Some people say you don't need to in this country, but does it matter if you warm up the engine or not?

Thanks.

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 13, 2006
New cars are designed to be driven from the turn of the key. Keep revs below 3k rpm until you reach normal operating temps. You are actually doing damage to the engine by letting it sit there and idle until normal operating temps.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 13, 2006
The country is of no issue.

This warming up thing stems from the days when you could only buy 1 type of oil. Nowadays with the advanced synthethic oils, warming up and running in, is irrelevant
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 13, 2006
yep only if the car is quite old it would need some rrrrrevolution :lol:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

It depends upon the car too! Sep 22, 2006
Well i agree that some cars do not need to warm up, as temperatures are hot..it would ease the engine with the normal temperature of 90'C....but it is always recommended that regardless of car type, you should always wait at least for a minute after you start your engine! Many of you who own a German or a Eurpean car would've noticed that for the first minute...the engine revolutions are above 1000 per minute! in most cases, and after a minute or two the revs go down to 900 - 960 per minutes as this is standard when the vehicle is stationary.

According to technical point of view, it is always recommended that you wait for a minute after starting your engine because the combustion chamber in the cylinder is cool, and when the compression process takes place the spark plugs ignite the air-fuel mixture which eventually creates an explosion driving the cylinder down to the sump...so imagine if start your car and pull it in reverse than engege is D and blast of pushing your throttle down and the engine revs reach about 4000 to 5000 per minute!! this means the 4 stroke process (intake, compression, combustion and exhaust) takes place 4000 times a minute when the cylinder is cool!!!! this means that while combustion is taking place the the fuel is not burnt completely, and that leads to poor engine performance after few thousand kms!!! because the un-burnt fuel caused the carbon waste to built-up on the exhaust valves! which leads to the lack of proper sealing of the valves while compression takes place!!
So that's why you might have been suggested to flush your engine by service people to clean it from the in side or you might have seen those performance boosting fluids which say: increase your horsepower blah blah..that's all idiotic! trust me! i'm into mechanical engineer. i can asure you! the horsepower CAN NOT be increase by any type of fluids! All these fluids do is that they clean the carbon reserves on the valves and around the cylinders and discard them thru the exhauset system!! Which helps the moving parts in the engine to revolve more quickly...whice we think that the horsepower is increased!

So my friends, i know we all are busy people and hardly have time for anything...but at least we can spare a minute for our beloved cars! it won't do any harm if you wait for a minute after starting! Otherwise your engine would suffer from the consequeces mentioned above! That's my suggestion :)
the rest is upto you guys
cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 22, 2006
the reason why revs at idle at start when cold is to do with the automatic "choke" within the Carb. It increases the mix to aid "cold starting". When the engine is running the choke switches off.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Some what yes! Sep 23, 2006
You are right, i agree with you, the choke process enables your engine to warm up quicker than normal for the first few minutes, but don't quite agree on the point when you said ''more mix to aid'' technically there can not be increased amount of air-fuel mixture more than valve could undergo, even in the Honda's VTEC system where there is a possibility for enhancing air-fuel mixture but only on the high engine RPM, as you might be aware that the Cam-Shaft for VTEC engine's are very unique and the lobes are designed in such a way that when the engine is in the low RPM mode there's limited amount of air-fuel mixture for more mileage and smooth performance, but of higher RPM mode, valve open more and let more intake for air and fuel so there's more power boost. But the point is...whether or not the engine's choking process is warming up or not, but normally all the cars have a technique to warm up engine, now if you know how the cooling system works in and around the engine...you will notice that there isn't any pressure in the radiator when the engine is cold, if you've opened the cap. That is because the coolant travels around the passageways between the cylinders in the engine..by which the coolant absorbs the heat (but only when engine is hot i.e. 90'C) so when the engine is started early in the morning...in the choking process...the engine management system haults the cooling system to travel around the cylinders until the engine reaches around 70'C. After which the pressure in the radiator starts to increase.....that is why.....it is recommended for the first few minutes to wait for the engine to AT LEAST get 70'C...after which we can blast off.....if we're in so damn hurry :o
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2006
yeah .. n as he said..

so use a thermometer .. hahaha ..lol ..

good coverage on all the internals salman ! :D
ahamed
Dubai chat master

That's my duty:) Sep 23, 2006
lol :lol: well as long as thermostat gauge is present! we don't need thermometre :) Thanks ahmed, cars are my passion, I love cars, and i want every one to take care and love their cars! This is the only means of transportation which represents our identity! Cars are us :wink:
cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2006
hmm .. so if you are simply .. cars cars and cars.. then may be we should get togather sometime..

recently a car bug bite me.. and since then i am only thinking car.. car.. & car.. racing cars.. super cars.. cars.. and cars..

so wat do you do .. do engine mods.. i would want you to meet my friend.. whose an excellent mechs with gear n engine tune up + body works.

so wat r u round with.. share ur experience & creativity for cars.. welcome aboard
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Thanks mate! Sep 23, 2006
Sure! why not...anytime man! I just admire people who have love and respect for cars! It would be my pleasure ahmed! I am currently taking a break, just finished my A Levels in Commerce, and lots of other short-term courses, gonna join some good college soon. Maybe in Knowledge Village. My dream is to get famous in the world of Automobiles and contribute to these wonderful machines as much as i could! But unfortunetly there isn't any proper training centre for automotive engineering...which happens to be my favotire subject..I am a car freak! :lol: can't help it :D
cheers :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2006
Ok So wanna work on some cars. I have some odd cars for experiments & test runs & sometimes i pick up car modification jobs when i am in mood. So where do u stay ?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Sep 23, 2006
no work around during ramadan, today is the first day and i miss smoking so badly.. geesh. . my head is paining .. cant wait for evening... ah am off now.. office close time
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Re: It depends upon the car too! Sep 24, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:the engine revolutions are above 1000 per minute! in most cases, and after a minute or two the revs go down to 900 - 960 per minutes as this is standard when the vehicle is stationary.

Are you on speed? You think a drop of 40-60 revs is something alarming? Do a search of "dimwit" and copy and paste that - it'll be a more interesting read.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

XRW-147 wrote:
Salman_20VT wrote:the engine revolutions are above 1000 per minute! in most cases, and after a minute or two the revs go down to 900 - 960 per minutes as this is standard when the vehicle is stationary.

Are you on speed? You think a drop of 40-60 revs is something alarming? Do a search of "dimwit" and copy and paste that - it'll be a more interesting read.

that was harsh
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

sniper420 wrote:that was harsh

When someone starts dribbling random 'advice' who's only substance is he's "into mechanical engineering" and proclaiming it to be gospel, what does one expect?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

quote]

Are you on speed? You think a drop of 40-60 revs is something alarming? Do a search of "dimwit" and copy and paste that - it'll be a more interesting read.[/quote]

a drop of 40 - 60RPM? where have i said that? you need to check your eyes mate, i said...when you start your car and go full throttle....the engine lacks desired amount of heat and results in more carbon wastage! which eventually built up carbon and your engine wear out after some time!

Hell i am on speed! you got any problem with that? :evil: i ain't forcing anyone to warm up their engines, its up to them!! what i wrote was to enlighten people of what could happen in the long run to your engine......as far as ''dimwit'' is concerned, man i don't need to copy and past ANYTHING!!!! maybe YOU do that all the time so you expect other people to do that too!

I am in to mechanical engineering! and i'm proud to say that! this my knowledge and if you don't have respect for other's knowledge, than you don't have any right to offend either!!
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

XRW-147 wrote:

When someone starts dribbling random 'advice' who's only substance is he's "into mechanical engineering" and proclaiming it to be gospel, what does one expect?

Ok i'm not here to fight! if you don't want to warm up your engine, fine......and like i said before, i'm not forcing anyone, nor i consider my suggestion as Gospel! I thought people need to know a little bit about why they should warm up enignes...untill YOU butted in and start to act as if you are the ''king of the world'' just because you're a moderator doesn't mean you can abuse other people!

i'm not here for fights! please!
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 28, 2006
I vote yes and I strongly recommend warming up the engine for few minutes after the initial start up.

When warming up an engine you are not only warming up the block but also you have to remember that the oil in the oil pan is cool no matter how hot it is outside. The oil needs to get to temperature to start lubricating parts properly, as we all know when oil is cool it does not lubricate as effectively as when its at the right temps. Also, When oil is cold or cool it does not reach every part of the engine from the first start (because oil is thicker when is cold). It takes the oil some time to get to every part of the engine and especially the head. Lubricating these parts evenly is what makes your engine live and last.

I am not saying warm up the car for ten minutes but in Dubai I would say wait a minute or 2 then off you go. Sadly here in VA winter I wait 10 full minutes.
Az3ar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Well said! Sep 28, 2006
Well said Az3ar! Yes you are right about the charecteristics of oil, so that is also one of the major reason you should warm up your engine! Its always good, and like I said, it won't do us any harm if we wait for couple of minutes after starting!
Cheers on that :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Well said! Sep 28, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:Well said Az3ar! Yes you are right about the charecteristics of oil, so that is also one of the major reason you should warm up your engine! Its always good, and like I said, it won't do us any harm if we wait for couple of minutes after starting!
Cheers on that :wink:

I agree with you too. Good points
Az3ar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: It depends upon the car too! Sep 28, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:

wel X you should have prvided ur point of view and exhibited ur dissent by showing how he was wrong........sorry found the thread helpful so i love variety of advices
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Glad Sep 29, 2006
I'm glad that you found this topic useful mate....warm up yer engine for a minute or two if possible :wink:
cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

warming car Sep 30, 2006
i say yes because when you warm the car it will be stronger if you not warm it i think engine will be not strong
r3ay-alborsh
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: warming car Oct 01, 2006
r3ay-alborsh wrote:i say yes because when you warm the car it will be stronger if you not warm it i think engine will be not strong

good point r3ay alborsh! i'll elaborate on that, he means that if your engine is warm, the rotating part inside the engine will be lubricated well by the warm oil in the Sump. There for continues response from the Crank-shaft resulting in less energy wastage, therefore the engine performs better, as he mentioned in short :wink:

bravo 3laik! kalaam sah walla :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: It depends upon the car too! Oct 02, 2006
sniper420 wrote:wel X you should have prvided ur point of view and exhibited ur dissent by showing how he was wrong........sorry found the thread helpful so i love variety of advices

Snipes, my POV was already previously made.

Most new cars do not need warming up. Oil has come a long way since the 60s-90s where warming up an engine was ideal - there is a reason why you have different ratings 5-40, 10-30, 10-40, etc, etc. Pick the right oil blend and characteristics then there's no problem.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Well Oct 02, 2006
I agree that oil has come a long way in terms of compounds and durability! But not in the charecteristics mate! Oil still needs to come on a stable temperature of it to lubricate the con-rods etc in the crank-case. So if its Castrol of Helix, we still need to warm-up!
What would cost you if you wait for a minute or two? It will however prove very good in the long run mate.
think again :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Well Oct 03, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:I agree that oil has come a long way in terms of compounds and durability! But not in the charecteristics mate! Oil still needs to come on a stable temperature of it to lubricate the con-rods etc in the crank-case. So if its Castrol of Helix, we still need to warm-up!
What would cost you if you wait for a minute or two? It will however prove very good in the long run mate.
think again :wink:

Firstly, wouldn't touch either of those two oils with a ten foot pole. Castrol do make some good diff oil for LSDs but thats about it.

From your argument are you trying to make a point for warming up the oil, or warming up the engine? - two completely different things here.

Con rods and crank case is one thing but pistons (weaker) and cylinders need appropriate lubrication with load. Sitting the car still and letting it 'warm up' damages cylinder heads and walls. So anything longer than 30 seconds in a 'newer' car will in the long run cost you a rebuild.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

I agree Oct 03, 2006
I agree mate, good you mentioned that, yes oil is directly related to engine matey, won't go in details of oil types now :lol: but one thing, warming up engine will never cost you anything dear friend, short or in the long run! but if you don't warm up atleast for the first minute, than maybe yes! That is my very personal experience! Infact to be honest when i drive after warming my engine for about a minute or two, i feel that engine is very smooth! The datails are in my pervious posts matey which you misunderstood me, with out understanding my point of significance as to why we should warm up for the first minute! Remeber oil has to be warm in order to work properly lubricating between crank shafts and con rods, the four stroke process is another issue. Hope you'll understand....
cheers 8)
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: I agree Oct 04, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:I agree mate, good you mentioned that, yes oil is directly related to engine matey, won't go in details of oil types now :lol: but one thing, warming up engine will never cost you anything dear friend, short or in the long run! but if you don't warm up atleast for the first minute, than maybe yes! That is my very personal experience! Infact to be honest when i drive after warming my engine for about a minute or two, i feel that engine is very smooth! The datails are in my pervious posts matey which you misunderstood me, with out understanding my point of significance as to why we should warm up for the first minute! Remeber oil has to be warm in order to work properly lubricating between crank shafts and con rods, the four stroke process is another issue. Hope you'll understand....
cheers 8)

which car do u drive if u don t mind me asking
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto