True Dreams / Prayers Answered?

Topic locked
True Dreams / Prayers Answered? Mar 04, 2007
Given the preponderance for threads asking inane questions, I thought 'if you can't beat them, join them' :)

I believe in God and also believe that God still communicates today as He has always done, listens to prayers and answers them (I don't understand the point of any religion that says otherwise - if you are going to worship something mute and powerless, why bother?)

I have experienced premonitions and dreams which have come true after praying for help or advice or just general prayer.

I'm by no means fatalistic (at least, I don't think I am) - but I have had enough personal experiences to reinforce my faith in a Creator.

However, as my wife keeps pointing out, as a man I don't really share my innermost thoughts and experiences, but I know some of you guys may wish to do so. It will be intersesting to read your experiences.

Do any of you who don't believe in God have experiences to share too?

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 04, 2007
There's a movie about premonition starred by Sandra Bullock.

I have other premonitions, but it has nothing to do with someone omnipotent and religion.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Re: True Dreams / Prayers Answered? Mar 04, 2007
shafique wrote:Given the preponderance for threads asking inane questions, I thought 'if you can't beat them, join them' :)

I believe in God and also believe that God still communicates today as He has always done, listens to prayers and answers them (I don't understand the point of any religion that says otherwise - if you are going to worship something mute and powerless, why bother?)

I have experienced premonitions and dreams which have come true after praying for help or advice or just general prayer.
I'm by no means fatalistic (at least, I don't think I am) - but I have had enough personal experiences to reinforce my faith in a Creator.

However, as my wife keeps pointing out, as a man I don't really share my innermost thoughts and experiences, but I know some of you guys may wish to do so. It will be intersesting to read your experiences.

Cheers,
Shafique

for me what it works, but only if i really want it, not just my ego or the frustration over not being able to solve smthing, is if i decide i wanna dream the solution or the answer to my question. go to bed and in the morning i have the answer. but in my case its not a question of praying, but the fact that i do belive that we have all answers to all questions in our subconscious. if we would know how to bring them up, nobody would be making stupid decisions.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 04, 2007
Saudi Arabian oil production is now in decline
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 04, 2007
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:Saudi Arabian oil production is now in decline

Is this your premonition? :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 04, 2007
:lol: Here' s my premonition - if we don't get out of this place we'll all catch the damned virus. It's reaching epidemic proportions.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 04, 2007
www.theoildrum.com . . .
The Oil Drum is suggesting that Saudi Arabian oil production is now declining due to depletion. It juxtaposes declining Saudi production against its rising recovery effort. They're running harder but they're slowing down. From the data, he reaches the conclusion that yes, the Kingdom is running out of oil. In particular Stuart Staniford concludes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 04, 2007
Good post - off topic oil posts aside.

One thing that happens to me all the time is that I start to think of my Sister once every two months or so. I give her a call and she answers and says 'hi bruv, I was just thinking about you!'.

There is one thing i do hard to swallow when it comes to God answering prayers; there are millions of people praying to have something to eat or for rain so that they can feed their themselves / families in a barren land - but they continue to starve and suffer.

Some would say that this is just god's will for them. I can't align with that.

If anything I like to expression 'god works through people' we are the ones who can make the miracles based on selfless actions for the common good of another. We have free will - it just seems we all use it so badly nowadays.

One of my fave poems (not sure who penned it);

I sought my god, my god I could not see.

I sought my soul, my soul I could not free.

I sought my brother and I found all three.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Re: True Dreams / Prayers Answered? Mar 05, 2007
shafique wrote:

Many
praying for a dying person, when all doctors declare its a hopeless case....n then he gets better n lives...yes i did experience this n almost every1 i know has similar experiences praying to god n things happen

Being unable to get pregnant for 15 years n then prying to god n it happened yes i know a lady who shared her experience with me the other day..

There is one thing i do hard to swallow when it comes to God answering prayers; there are millions of people praying to have something to eat or for rain so that they can feed their themselves / families in a barren land - but they continue to starve and suffer.

Well i'v talked to ppl who did live in these conditions..even here in Dubai during droughty years..they were starving, i asked how did u go through those years they simply answered by praying to god.. Imagine if they even didn't have that hope to believe in something more powerful than their unfortunate surrounding, what would keep them going
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 08, 2007
Well i'v talked to ppl who did live in these conditions..even here in Dubai during droughty years..they were starving, i asked how did u go through those years they simply answered by praying to god.. Imagine if they even didn't have that hope to believe in something more powerful than their unfortunate surrounding, what would keep them going

Sure I do see what you mean - in regards to finding incredible strength to live through challenging times by maintaining faith through prayer.

But I still find it hard to concur that prayers are answered to some, but not the majority. Malnutrition plays a role in at least half of the 10.9 million child deaths each year--five million deaths. I can't equate the figures (well not now as I need to leave in a minute) - but I don't think I would be to far fetched to say that a good percentage of these children are part of a denomination that consists of daily prayer.

Why would a compassionate god allow this - yet be willing to answer the prayers of someone who has the three vital elements (food, clothes and shelter)?
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Mar 08, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:

Sure I do see what you mean - in regards to finding incredible strength to live through challenging times by maintaining faith through prayer.

But I still find it hard to concur that prayers are answered to some, but not the majority. Malnutrition plays a role in at least half of the 10.9 million child deaths each year--five million deaths. I can't equate the figures (well not now as I need to leave in a minute) - but I don't think I would be to far fetched to say that a good percentage of these children are part of a denomination that consists of daily prayer.

Why would a compassionate god allow this - yet be willing to answer the prayers of someone who has the three vital elements (food, clothes and shelter)?

So true
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 08, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:But I still find it hard to concur that prayers are answered to some, but not the majority. Malnutrition plays a role in at least half of the 10.9 million child deaths each year--five million deaths. I can't equate the figures (well not now as I need to leave in a minute) - but I don't think I would be to far fetched to say that a good percentage of these children are part of a denomination that consists of daily prayer.

Philosophically, this is the price for God giving us choice and having a challenging environment in which humankind can evolve.

Take away choice and pain, and we might as well be single cell amoebas living contently in a warm bath of nutrients - no one is being harmed, everyone is 'happy' (well, they are not feeling pain - so I guess they are just 'normal').

However, this is also a sentient's beings idea of hell (it certainly is mine).

Accidents, diseases, natural disasters - these are all part of the plan of nature - all are linked and are inevitable consequences of the Islamic concept of a Creator of the universe having a specific plan to create beings that will be aware of Him, and have the capacity to choose to do what is good or what is not good.

The fact that children are going to bed hungry, or worse dying, when there is a global surplus of food is not God's fault - but man's (at least in my opinion).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 08, 2007
shafique- your a back ward Religion freak
Your-ZION-Master
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 08, 2007
shafique wrote:
Philosophically, this is the price for God giving us choice and having a challenging environment in which humankind can evolve.

Take away choice and pain, and we might as well be single cell amoebas living contently in a warm bath of nutrients - no one is being harmed, everyone is 'happy' (well, they are not feeling pain - so I guess they are just 'normal').

However, this is also a sentient's beings idea of hell (it certainly is mine).

Accidents, diseases, natural disasters - these are all part of the plan of nature - all are linked and are inevitable consequences of the Islamic concept of a Creator of the universe having a specific plan to create beings that will be aware of Him, and have the capacity to choose to do what is good or what is not good.

The fact that children are going to bed hungry, or worse dying, when there is a global surplus of food is not God's fault - but man's (at least in my opinion).

Cheers,
Shafique

"The fact that children are going to bed hungry, or worse dying, when there is a global surplus of food is not God's fault - but man's (at least in my opinion). "

I Could not agree more. This is the crux of a lot of the world's needless suffering today.

The rest I will refrain from comment as they are your beliefs - and I can't argue with your faith as it has been formulated on your own personal experience - I will just accept that they differ to my own.

Cheers,
JJ
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Apr 12, 2007
i certainly believe in God..and numerous times my prayers have been answered. THNX TO ALLAH THE ALMIGHTY!
Dr.Angel
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 12, 2007
shafique wrote:The fact that children are going to bed hungry, or worse dying, when there is a global surplus of food is not God's fault - but man's (at least in my opinion).

Man has a role in distributing food but the simple fact is there are too many people in parts of the world where water is scarce. Sure, (for example) Europe and the US can grow food (for now) but to physically ship enough food to starving parts of the world would probably take a substantial proportion all active ships in the world full-time, not to mention much of the food elements would simply rot in the process. And then there's the corruption element when it arrives, though that's definitely man's fault. I've mentioned before that the role of major religions in banning any sort of birth control in poor parts of the world is an issue and in this situation it clearly is, not God's fault per se (if he or she exists - let's not get in to that now!) but man's interpretation of "God's word" that causes the problem. Don't blame it on the logistics companies :D

On topic, I know some people put significant weight on "prayers being answered" but the evidence is so heavily stacked against this. A lot of research has been done (I don't have it to hand but I studied it as part of psychology at university) on things like do people with religion have greater survival rates from life-threatening illnesses. As you'd expect, the answer is no.

Quite simply, people ignore the thousands of times that it doesn't happen and then truly believe in intervention when something does happen. As a man who favours science, it's simply odds of coincidence. A person can devote their life to religion and die of a brain tumour, a non-believer can have the same ailment and survive. Why? Because there is a always a chance of recovery. When the doctors say someone has a 10% chance of recovery based on past mortality rates, the religious often take it as some sort of "miracle" if the person recovers, the scientist takes it as odds simply working their way through.

More interestingly from a psychological perspective, as above, when prayers aren't answered people do not blame God for it. They put it down to other factors, including in Christianity the oft-used "God moves in mysterious ways". So they are prepared to put total trust in God to make a situation better, but then apportion no blame when it doesn't happen. This type of behaviour is very rarely displayed in other aspects of life and is simply thought to be a reflection of the religious dogma instilled in people as they grow up. Religions always have a get out clause.

On the positive side, there are clear psychological benefits from believing that prayers have been answered, whether through coincidence or not, it gives the person a sense of empowerment and recognition. Whether that outweighs the long-term "dissatisfaction" of not having prayers answered is up for debate.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 12, 2007
scot1870 wrote:
shafique wrote:The fact that children are going to bed hungry, or worse dying, when there is a global surplus of food is not God's fault - but man's (at least in my opinion).

Man has a role in distributing food but the simple fact is there are too many people in parts of the world where water is scarce. Sure, (for example) Europe and the US can grow food (for now) but to physically ship enough food to starving parts of the world would probably take a substantial proportion all active ships in the world full-time, not to mention much of the food elements would simply rot in the process.

I disagree.

My research has led me to conclude there is no population problem in terms of too many people that can be supported by earth's natural resources.

Where there are water shortages, people should be able to migrate to other places where resources are more abundant, or money/resources should be spent to get water there (eg. think of Dubai's water consumption).

Europe and the US grow a lot of food, yes - but disproportionately more of the arable land of ex-colonies are given over to cash crops rather than food. This is especially so in Africa. This would not be too bad if the price for coffee, cotton etc were set fairly - but currently the price is set in the West and the end consumer puts many 100s of percent more money into the pockets of Starbucks/Kellogs etc than into the pockets of the producers.

I haven't found a continent country that has infrastructure or trading partners nearby that could not easily support the population projected for the next 50 years - providing all with potable water, ample food and shelter.

It is not a question of logistics of transporting food from Europe to the East - it is a question of allowing the people of any country the freedom to grow their own food, participate fairly in trade and enjoy their fair share of the world's resources (in proportion to what they contribute - be it in post-production or primary natural resources).

There are problems - no doubt - but I have found that if you scratch the surface it is apparent that it is not too many children that is causing the issue - nor can the blame be placed at the feet of 'god' rather than at in the hands of man. That said, religion does not really feature in this arguement for fair trade and humanitarian treatment of others. Many, if not most, humanitarians would balk at blaming mothers and fathers for the problems facing the world.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2007
Y wars happen? Y Kids die hungry? Y Tsunami came and destroyed hundreds of thousands of people? Y some of our beloved ones depart at such a young age? Y Some men are bad? Y some men are Hindus, Some Christian, Some Muslim, some Jew, Some Sikh, Some Pharsi etc, etc, etc. Y some die born poor even after trying all the possible ways.

:)
I believe in god, but I try atmost care in not asking for help, coz I believe that thats y he's given a part of him to all of us. And I believe all humanbeings are equal, and I believe people should start loving and respecting each other regardless of their faiths, color, nationality, and history.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 12, 2007
shafique wrote:Europe and the US grow a lot of food, yes - but disproportionately more of the arable land of ex-colonies are given over to cash crops rather than food. This is especially so in Africa. This would not be too bad if the price for coffee, cotton etc were set fairly - but currently the price is set in the West and the end consumer puts many 100s of percent more money into the pockets of Starbucks/Kellogs etc than into the pockets of the producers.

World trade agreements are notoriously flimsy and do often disadvantage poorer countries. Agreed. Land is not allocated by the West though, it is chosen locally in response to what they think is best on an international market.

Coffee, for example, used to be a terrible market when the West lived by instant coffee, now markets around the world want premium coffees and the average price of coffee has increased as far as I am aware. There are also a large amount of fair trade coffees in the West which help increase markets. That Starbucks makes money is because it sells coffee in a market that is prepared to pay for the product and associated services, the farmer who makes the coffee is only providing a raw material. Ready mix concrete manufacturers sell a commodity but compared to what Emaar rips customers off for for their finished apartment it's nothing. It's the way of the world regardless of countries.

I know you understand economics so I'm not going to patronise you. Rich countries do things to help, they also at the same time put barriers in the way. Ultimately though, many poorer countries are also driven by profit over social equality and they themselves need to make a choice between chasing the dollar or tackling explosive population growth head on. I appreciate the two are not mutually exclusive, so it is indeed a complex situation, but encouraging greater thought on birth control will help enormously.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 12, 2007
The point I was making is that the inequalities, misallocation of land etc are not the fault of 'god' or down to excessive population, but down to the actions of men.

I have no issue with good old trade and the value being added to every stage of the manufacture process. I have no issue with Emmar making a killing compared to cement manufacturers and the labourers employed to build these houses. Supply and demand are at work.

However, cash crops in many countries are a legacy of colonialism (when there was no choice in regards to what happened to your land) - and also the more pernicious neo-colonial practices of large loans or aid attached with substantial strings requiring cash crops to be produced to finance loans that have long since been squandered.

Politicians everywhere are corrupt - the more money is on offer (that they think they can get away with accumulating) the more corrupt they are. So yes, the politicians/rulers/despots are also to blame for the inequalities and the mismanagement of manageable resources.

But I return to the main argument - man-made economics is letting down the children going to bed hungry, not the lack of resources that the Earth can provide.

Wherever we allocate the blame, it appears to me that nature comes out as largely benign - the odd natural disaster highlighting how benign life is for the majority of organisms on this Earth.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 14, 2007
The point I was making is that the inequalities, misallocation of land etc are not the fault of 'god' or down to excessive population, but down to the actions of men.

Y God lets men do all these atrocities?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: True Dreams / Prayers Answered? Apr 20, 2007
I have had premonitions that I do not wish to happen, but I cannot avoid them. This has made me a somewhat fatalistic. But I do not go so far as blaming them on a god. Is something else responsible for them?

However, If I was going to pray, it would be to god/alah...
and I still wear my seatbelt just in case it happens to save me in a car accident.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 30, 2007
What's the use of praying if ultimately it is the 'will of god' that is followed. Unless man has the power to change that god's will, it's just a waste of time.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

May 02, 2007
yujinn wrote:What's the use of praying if ultimately it is the 'will of god' that is followed. Unless man has the power to change that god's will, it's just a waste of time.
Who told you that? Whoever did must be misguided, but he who believed it is even more misguided! Damn.

Humans are in control of their own destiny or at least have the capacity to be in control of it; whether believers in God or not.
freza
Dubai chat master

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums