The Only Time Muslims Seek Peace Is When They Need To Reload

Topic locked
The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to reload Jul 09, 2010
In another thread a general or rhetorical question was asked who agrees with the title (a quote from event horizon).

Interesting subject. Truth is, I donot know, but perhaps during this thread I can make up my mind.

Is Hamza Yusuf...:

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf Hanson is an Islamic scholar, teacher, and co-founder of Zaytuna College in Berkeley California, United States. He is a prominent American convert to Islam, and is one of the signatories of A Common Word Between Us and You, an open letter by Islamic scholars to Christian leaders, calling for peace and understanding.

Hamza Yusuf is one of the leading proponents of classical learning in Islam. He has promoted Islamic sciences and classical teaching methodologies throughout the world. He has also been a strong advocate for social justice, peace, and conviviality among peoples and places..

source: wiki

...wrong when he says:

The Muslim society has lost the ability of strategic thinking, which Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) exemplified by compromising on several points with the enemy when he signed the Treaty of Hudaibia, said leading American Muslim, Shaikh Hamza Yousuf, at a lecture on Monday.

Elaborating his point, Shaikh Hamza Yousuf said, “There are times when you have to live like a sheep in order to live in the future like a lion.”

Muslim society ‘has lost ability to strategise’

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The Only Time Muslims Seek Peace Is When They Need To Re Jul 09, 2010
The quote is in the thread 'Muslims for Peace' and is:

event horizon wrote:Peace with Islam and Muslims is impossible. The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to reload.

dubai-politics-talk/muslims-for-peace-fox-news-interview-t42497.html#p341748

And when I asked FD whether he agreed with eh's quote, the question was not rhetorical.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to re Jul 10, 2010
That was not a very informative reply. Maybe somebody else cares to reply. Was

"the Western world's most influential Islamic scholar"[source: wiki]

mistaken when he stated:

The Muslim society has lost the ability of strategic thinking, which Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) exemplified by compromising on several points with the enemy when he signed the Treaty of Hudaibia, said leading American Muslim, Shaikh Hamza Yousuf, at a lecture on Monday.

Elaborating his point, Shaikh Hamza Yousuf said, “There are times when you have to live like a sheep in order to live in the future like a lion.”

?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The Only Time Muslims Seek Peace Is When They Need To Re Jul 10, 2010
Let's get this straight, I asked you a pretty straightforward question.. do you share eh's vitriolic rant:

event horizon wrote:Peace with Islam and Muslims is impossible. The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to reload.

and you are asking for confirmation whether a quote from an article from a few years back confirms young eh's view of all Muslims?

I guess that you can't answer 'no' to the question then.

I too will be interested in hearing who else shares this Islamophobic belief (it's actually the main loon belief).

But let's see whether we are witnessing another classic loon selective quote/interpretation here. Here's the article that Wiki cites when it calls Hamza one of the most influential thinkers in Western Islam:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/oct/08/religion.uk

But the coup de grace is this article:
http://www.omantribune.com/index.php?pa ... ading=Oman
Islam teaches all to respect other religions and their gods. Muslims should discuss issues with people of other religions nicely, said Hamza Yusuf, an American Islamic preacher, in his lecture at Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque Auditorium here on Friday.
Yusuf said that Islam taught us that we do not need to compete with others in anything other than the best deeds as God did not see how you look, but he saw only your intentions.

He said that verses of the Holy Quran tells us not to fight with those who do not fight with you and let you live in your houses peacefully. Allah hates transgression, he said.

He said: “Islam demands cordial discussions and invites people of other religions to show unity on common grounds. Islam warns people against judging about each other’s fate in the life after death. Who will be in heaven and who will be in hell, the decision will be taken by Allah.”

Is Hamza wrong?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Only Time Muslims Seek Peace Is When They Need To Re Jul 10, 2010
Another quote from Hamza:

Religious zealots of any creed are defeated people who lash out in desperation, and they often do horrific things. And if these people indeed are Arabs, Muslims, they're obviously very sick people and I can't even look at it in religious terms. It's politics, tragic politics. There's no Islamic justification for any of it. It's like some misguided Irish using Catholicism as an excuse for blowing up English people.

They're not martyrs, it's as simple as that.

Because?

You can't kill innocent people. There's no Islamic declaration of war against the United States. I think every Muslim country except Afghanistan has an embassy in this country. And in Islam, a country where you have embassies is not considered a belligerent country.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/terrorism/hamza.asp

Pretty categoric statements - I'd hazard to say that loons won't be able to spin them, but I'm always surprised at the loon ability to argue black is white.

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to re Jul 11, 2010
* sigh *

Several posts and copy paste and still no reply to the OP.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The Only Time Muslims Seek Peace Is When They Need To Re Jul 11, 2010
Sigh indeed.

I've only copy and pasted what Hamza has to say on living in peace with non-Muslims and blown away your attempt at a loon justification of eh's Islamophobic rant.

I refer you back to previous comments about Loons having weird interpretations of what Islam teaches.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums