Rebel

Topic locked
rebel Dec 16, 2005
i need to know if a rebel, short hair and tatooed girl, leaving her muslin family (because of that) can live in peace in UAE.

fabros
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 18, 2005
Most definatly not.

KAFRA!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 19, 2005
UAE is a tolerant place for someone like you or a fanatic like Liban :P .. so no worries ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 19, 2005
u need guidance sista!!!
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

thx Dec 29, 2005
ok people.
thank you.
so, what about a tatooed, short hair, single lebanese girl? Can she live normally in dubai?
fabros
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 05, 2006
If that is the type of fem you are I think its better if you stay where you are,
coz we dont want to disgrace Islam further.
May Allah show you the straight path...................
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: thx Jan 07, 2006
fabros wrote:ok people.
thank you.
so, what about a tatooed, short hair, single lebanese girl? Can she live normally in dubai?

alrite what's the difference between a tattoed girl and a tattoed lebanese girl? :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2006
shaakira wrote:If that is the type of fem you are I think its better if you stay where you are,
coz we dont want to disgrace Islam further.
May Allah show you the straight path...................

Er Shaakira, aren't you supposed to be tolerant? It's not for you to judge! If that's the case then you make a disgrace of yourself by showing your intolerance! What so a tattoo makes you a bad person - oooooohhhhhaaaahhhhh Then damn it I'm a frikkin' she devil!

Please all these women have henna tattos for 'fashion' mostly and just because someone has a permanent one it makes them bad - do me a favour.

There are people here with tattoos and piercing in places that you in your so called 'innocence' don't even know of.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 07, 2006
do i need to remind you where devils belong chocoholic??? exactly, HELL !!!
save yourself before its too late
:wink:
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 07, 2006
Er Shaakira, aren't you supposed to be tolerant? It's not for you to judge! If that's the case then you make a disgrace of yourself by showing your intolerance! What so a tattoo makes you a bad person - oooooohhhhhaaaahhhhh Then damn it I'm a frikkin' she devil!

Please all these women have henna tattos for 'fashion' mostly and just because someone has a permanent one it makes them bad - do me a favour.

There are people here with tattoos and piercing in places that you in your so called 'innocence' don't even know of.

Oooh, someone isn't very happy with the local customs, tradition, and religion......

Shaakira, if indeed a muslims, represents the feelings of an authentic component in UAE/Dubai. You don't. You come from a different culture and you should learn to accept/respect these cultural differences.

Example: Brother makes friends with the boyfriend which "does" you at the age of 15. That's an insult to muslims in the UK or whatever I'm sure. But we don't see them attacking brits in forums about it, do we? That's tolerant.

Another Example : Islam doesn't allow tattoos. And a muslim in UAE (Shakiraa) doesn't want Dubai to have yet more rebels/outcasts and other delinquents which don't belong to the original fabric (which is losing it's unique identity quick). That's her/his right. Not yours.

Now who's intolerant and has delusions of superiority? Ooooh the Brit spoke, let's all just forget our cultures and let her lead the way of "civilization"

Gimme a break.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 07, 2006
its strange huh!
Muslims are expected to be tolerent of everyone else, but who is tolerent towards muslims?
As a muslim, it is my duty to speak up when 'wrong' is being done,
but you wouldnt see it as 'wrong' because you dont understand my religion,
you still walk around with 'blinkers' on and follow the masses, what a shame!
So as long as I am alive I will carry on serving my Islam in this way and nobody will stop me!!!!!
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 08, 2006
Calm down gurlz and guys....
I don't think if she came to the UAE with her "rebelious" idea's it would harm anyone, also i don't think anyone will think she is muslim except she just kept yelling it loud.

Fabros, just couple questions and don't make any assumptions on them.

Why exactly you are targeting Dubai which is a muslim country, why not go to a more liberal socity that will endorse you or even support your "rebelious" ideas like Holland or the states??

Why do you stress on the point of being a muslim?? and i'm asking just because i don't want to make assumptions as my impressoin (might be wrong) that you are not convinced of islam or not proud of it as you don't want to abide by the rules.
You can go to any country and loose your religious identity and thats it.

Last thing, i just need to point that i think (still might be wrong) that you are not so bad as you think you are, or not rebelious as you still like to be a muslim and having a tattoo or a piercing doesn't make you "kafra" as previously mentioned, but makes you a "sinner" like all of us. and lossing the reason for being a Sinner would me you are getting better, why not try this route, i think it is easier and you would still be a Rebel.

Cheers and ........ don't know, can't say good luck as i don't know whats in your mind
yshimy

Jan 08, 2006
Linda, I think you have some real racist issues!!!

I totally respect the local culture and the Muslim way of life, I lived in Saudi Arabia for years - thank you very much!!!

Shaakira - all I was saying that it's really not a big deal. If you're going to look down your nose at someone then do it to the locals sitting in bars in their candoras drinking pints of beers, or picking up hookers, there are people in your culture doing far worse!

And yes I think the way many expats behave in this country is disgraceful and disrespectful and I bloody well tell them that!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 08, 2006
shaakira wrote:its strange huh!
Muslims are expected to be tolerent of everyone else, but who is tolerent towards muslims?
As a muslim, it is my duty to speak up when 'wrong' is being done,
but you wouldnt see it as 'wrong' because you dont understand my religion,
you still walk around with 'blinkers' on and follow the masses, what a shame!
So as long as I am alive I will carry on serving my Islam in this way and nobody will stop me!!!!!

Alhamdoulillah!

Allah-u Akbar.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 08, 2006
Linda_Stuiv wrote:

Oooh, someone isn't very happy with the local customs, tradition, and religion......

Shaakira, if indeed a muslims, represents the feelings of an authentic component in UAE/Dubai. You don't. You come from a different culture and you should learn to accept/respect these cultural differences.

Example: Brother makes friends with the boyfriend which "does" you at the age of 15. That's an insult to muslims in the UK or whatever I'm sure. But we don't see them attacking brits in forums about it, do we? That's tolerant.

Another Example : Islam doesn't allow tattoos. And a muslim in UAE (Shakiraa) doesn't want Dubai to have yet more rebels/outcasts and other delinquents which don't belong to the original fabric (which is losing it's unique identity quick). That's her/his right. Not yours.

Now who's intolerant and has delusions of superiority? Ooooh the Brit spoke, let's all just forget our cultures and let her lead the way of "civilization"

Gimme a break.

Actually I'm NOT British!!! Now who's making assumptions! I have no delusions of grandure.

Linda you are beyond ridiculous. And before you start correcting other peoples spelling and grammar mistakes, maybe you should take a look at your own.

For a Dutch person you're totally anal!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 08, 2006
I have no delusions of grandure

:lol:

For a Dutch person you're totally anal!

Thank you, you're very kind.

Linda, I think you have some real racist issues!!!

Racist? Me? Against who? Do you read the posts upside down? :)

I totally respect the local culture and the Muslim way of life

yeah right.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for years - thank you very much!!

Doesn't mean anything. Whites lived in South Africa for generations and still thought ill of blacks. Plus I'm sure you weren't there for cultural "enlightenment" :) Rather for financial reasons. (Which is fine, we're all the same, just don't pretend otherwise)

If you're going to look down your nose at someone then do it to the locals sitting in bars in their candoras drinking pints of beers, or picking up hookers, there are people in your culture doing far worse!

There are good and bad people everywhere. How does drinking or picking up hookers in a kandoora make you worse than if you did it wearing jeans? Kandoora isn't the "Islamic" dress per say, it is the traditional dress for the UAE, has nothing to do with Islam.

After spending so many years (like you say) in this area, you seem to know very little. Sad really.

Once again you ridicule yourself by saying irrelevant and mostly untrue things, in a "princess" (you said it, not me :) ) like a loose cannon, and completely miss the point.

The OP (Original Postee) asked if Dubai would be suitable for her "unique" situation/values. Who better is qualified to answer than someone from the original fabric of the UAE society? namely, a muslim. Shaakira shares what she thinks. Yet you jump her and somehow try to discredit her.

Hmmm.... try to minimise your hostility towards muslim women. I mean if you don't want to respect them/their ideas, then fine. But no need to do it in such a sloppy way in a forum filled with muslims.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 09, 2006
Can't we all just get along?
sleepless.in.dubai
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 09, 2006
Linda_Stuiv wrote:

Gimme a break.

Linda

when you have lived in Dubai and start to network, you will i hope start to appreciate where Choc is coming from.

For example Linda ,instead of being on your computer next Friday, you and your boyfriend go visit the Jumeira Beach Hotel. Go into the Dhow and Anchor pub in "happy hour" time ie 6-8, and you will find many locals including a government official in the "education dept" totally pissed outof their heads on Lager.

Again Linda, experience will give you a "wider picture".
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 09, 2006
To err is human. Those locals that drink and get wasted are making mistakes. But those are their mistakes.

The locals I know are good Muslims, like myself. We do not drink and get tanked. We do not eat pork. We follow the rules of Islam to the best of our flawed human abilitiess.

Only a Muslim can speak of Islam in the UAE. Nobody else can speak of suck things for nobody else can know what it is to be an adherent of Islam (Religion of Peace) as a mou2min... a beleiver... a Muslim.

Now lets stop attacking each other before I get more annoyed. I will close this thread if I have to.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 09, 2006
Good point Liban.

Linda - no time for you anymore, quite frankly you're just a nuisance.

Shakira - Interesting you attack the rebel lady, yet say nothing of Linda, who I suspect would be living with her fiance - is she not living in sin? Double standards maybe?

Just interested in where you choose to stop having ago at people and why you attack some and not others.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 10, 2006
Linda / Shakira, if you respond to Choco. Please respond calmly as she has.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2006
Liban wrote:Linda / Shakira, if you respond to Choco. Please respond calmly as she has.

Now that's what I call good moderating move. Thanks God after all these times you finally learnt from me! Stick around to learn more... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
Liban wrote:Linda / Shakira, if you respond to Choco. Please respond calmly as she has.

Now that's what I call good moderating move. Thanks God after all these times you finally learnt from me! Stick around to learn more... :lol:

Oh yes, thank you great teacher... :roll:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2006
For example Linda ,instead of being on your computer next Friday, you and your boyfriend go visit the Jumeira Beach Hotel. Go into the Dhow and Anchor pub in "happy hour" time ie 6-8, and you will find many locals including a government official in the "education dept" totally pissed outof their heads on Lager.

So what? What does that prove? That some muslims aren't as "good" as they should be? That's old news.

The motion of bringing it up, when it's completely irrelevant, implies that you (or whoever brought it up) hold yourself with the moral highground to judge people of a different culture/religion according to their culture/religion, which you don't even believe in.

Sounds like a desperate attempt at belittling people of a different creed, of which you have other reasons for disrespecting.

Let's recap on what went on here:-

1-A girl asks if people here think that she would be accepted in Dubai.

2-Dubai is an Arab Muslim city, regardless of how "open" it is. So who is entitled best to answer? A muslim/Arab.

3-Shaakira, which is a muslim, puts forward what she thinks based on the same religion that forms a greater part of a lot of people's lives here.

4-Choc jumps Shaakira and calls her intolerant.

5-I contend that :

a- Since Choc isn't part of the genuine fabric of Dubai, then her opinion only represents herself, and not the majority of the inhabitants, which the original postee was asking about.

b- Since Shaakira is only acting on behalf of her religion, and expressed the religion's opinion about it, then it would be -indeed- hostile and intolerant for Choc to jump her like that.

c-That saying anything about Kandooras is insulting and very irrelevant since Kandooras aren't "Islamic" as such, but are the national traditional dress in the UAE, so mentioning them serves nothing but to show despise and a superiority complex.

All seems logical.

The reply I get:

Linda - no time for you anymore, quite frankly you're just a nuisance.

There you go :) I reply in a calm manner, and highlight the major points, and last but not least, proudly present Choc's brilliant and deeply inspiring after-thought, after one of her loose-cannon charades.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 10, 2006
Everyone has a right to give an opinion here, and when it comes to religious opinions, you can be sure that people will strongly disagree.

It is my opinion that people should mind their own behaviour according to their religion and spend less time judging others. Ideally, people should respect that others come from different ends of the religious spectrum. There have always been religious conservatives and progressives - so why fight it? Religion should be about the relationship between the individual and his/her god. It isn't anyone else's business to judge that relationship, and unfortunately, organised religion encourages this kind of judgemental behaviour. Yes, there are religious texts that tell us how to live accoring to our god's wishes, but most texts are unclear and can be interpreted in many ways - hence the variety of sects of different religions. Can anyone really claim to be 100% correct in his/her interpretation so that they are fit to judge others? I think not.

So, I say, welcome to Dubai, and make some friends with others on the same religious spectrum as you. Ignore the others who look down on you.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 11, 2006
DUBAI ROCKS!!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 11, 2006
Well, Aunty choc,
I dont really think you would understand but try to anyway.

Forgive me if I am wrong but from what I take, Linda happens to be a revert, that alone is a great thing, and as long as she is a muslim, she would Inshallah be willing to learn and practise more about Islam as she learns it.

In this case Fabros seems to have been born into a muslim family and she knows what is right and wrong islamically, yet she still wishes to go against our teachings,that is indeed something to be saddened by. She needs to be reminded of the consequences, of the day of judgement & of the hereafter (& I know I didnt do that correctly,sorry Fabros!)

Cleared up your mind a bit?
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2006
Linda ..u r a muslim??? how come if I may ask?
as for fabro...just cuz u have a tatoo doesnt make u a bad (going to hell) person..but ur post indicates that u think u r a bad person and not sure of what u r doing or what u believe in...having a tatoo is a personal thing so u dont have to mention it unless its a huge dragontatoo all over ur body..meaning we wouldnt know unless u show it or tell us about it..bottom line who cares..

as for shakira..
In this case Fabros seems to have been born into a muslim family and she knows what is right and wrong islamically, yet she still wishes to go against our teachings

there are alot of kids who grow up being muslims only by name cuz their parents never taught them about islam..
D-Unit
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 11, 2006
have to agree with you on that point d unit,
but in this case it seems like she does know but still wants to leave it behind.
And in islam it is not permissible for a muslim to have a tatoo no matter how big or small, so to muslims, it is a major issue.
shaakira
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2006
No I'm not a muslim. I have my concerns with Islam, which are -I admit, after reading up and hearing about it from educated muslims- much less than the concerns I have concerning Christianity, Judaism...etc. But thus far .... I'm an Agnostic (Believe in a greater Entity (God) but don't know where to go from there).

The reason I'm learning and reading/talking about Islam is because I might spend the rest of my life with a muslim man, so I might as well learn everything I can about it.

And no, I don't live with my fiance, I live in a villa given by the institute I work in, and he has 3 flats he lives in, Ajman, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, depending on his work schedule.

Now, I don't mind answering these kind of questions, but: Choc, whatever happens between me and fiance is my business, and not yours to bring up, that was a very intrusive thing to say.

Shaakira: I understand that you're enthusiastic about your religion, which is admirable, but try to accept (Islam also accepts) that non-muslims shouldn't necessarily lead their lives according to Islam (or else they'd be muslims). And when you're arguing with a non-muslim, don't bring up verses of Quran, or Hadiths, because a non-muslim doesn't believe in them, so you'll just pass on as cocooned and introverted around your beliefs, which will not appeal to people if you want to let them know about Islam. Argue with logic. If the Prophet Mohamad (PBUH) was your model, then you must know that with the "Mushrekeen" , he argued with logic.

Example: When they came to the prophet and said that the ANgels are the "daughters" of God. The prophet didn't answer by : "Well Quran says differently!!" HE said: "Then who's their mum?"

Logic, logic.

Similarly you could have answered the original postee: "Well you have the freedom to do what your conscience and principles allow you to do, but I'd like you to remember that Dubai is a muslim city, regardless of all you hear about it, and that there will be a good deal of people who will frown upon you....etc.

Instead of: "Oh !! Sister !! You are corrupt!!! ..etc"

Just my two cents.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums