Ramadan....the Paradox?

Topic locked
Ramadan....the paradox? Sep 30, 2006
A friend and I were discussing Ramadan and how people change during the month. I think this is an interesting topic....How come during Ramadan some people completely change their lifestyle only to revert right back to it after the Holy month is over. Before Ramadan they are drinking, sleeping around, and not being religous whatsover. As soon as the first day of the month, they are fasting, not swearing, praying, no partying, dates, fooling around, etc etc....they all of a sudden become religious for this one month. Finally after Eid...its back to the old ways: back to the sleeping around, and back to getting completely drunk. How is this possible? Does anyone else think this is hypocritical? I do think it is important to respect the customs of the month, and restrain yourself...but why try and be so religous for a month when you are just gonna go back to your old lifestyle. I just don't see how it is doing any good. And I am not saying that everyone is like this nor am I anyone to judge ...but it does happen. Any imput?

noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 30, 2006
it might sound/look hypocritical to those with stronger faith. But personally i think something is better than nothing. If a person decides to abstain from all what you mentioned for one month its better than not at all. I am not sure how much its adding to his/her faith but its something.

Very interesting discussion and i would like to hear from the more religious people on this forum on this one. Especially Shafique :D
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 30, 2006
MaaaD wrote:it might sound/look hypocritical to those with stronger faith. But personally i think something is better than nothing. If a person decides to abstain from all what you mentioned for one month its better than not at all. I am not sure how much its adding to his/her faith but its something.

Very interesting discussion and i would like to hear from the more religious people on this forum on this one. Especially Shafique :D

I mean I do agree that something is better than nothing. Nor am I that religious enough to say too much, but what is the point if you aren't really learning anything from it?
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 30, 2006
ramadan or not
i do everything like before

imma maslim , i dont think fasting in dubai is really fasting , there is no temptation to resist...

if you were in europe and fasting then you are a true maslim...
its pretty easy to fast when the office hours have been changed, noone to eat in front of you , and to be without any temptation for the whole month..

were as in europe , were the office hours are the same , people eat in front of you , hot blonde chicks walking around with titties and all showing :twisted: oh yeah miss those hunnies

now if you can resist those temptations then you are really fasting!
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2006
nismo wrote:ramadan or not

imma maslim , i dont think fasting in dubai is really fasting , there is no temptation to resist...
!

you obviously havent walked in mall of the emirates during the day .. talk about temptations everywhere !!!! :P ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 30, 2006
MaaaD wrote:

!

you obviously havent walked in mall of the emirates during the day .. talk about temptations everywhere !!!! :P ;)

nor any place with good lookin peeps
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 30, 2006
MaaaD wrote:

!

IM THERE !!!!
:twisted:
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2006

its pretty easy to fast when the office hours have been changed, noone to eat in front of you , and to be without any temptation for the whole month..

were as in europe , were the office hours are the same , people eat in front of you , hot blonde chicks walking around with titties and all showing :twisted: oh yeah miss those hunnies

im so sick of people sayn fastn in europe is better and Muslims there are better muslim..that's for Allah to decide. However fasting is not all about the food and the temptations of food, it has a much deeper meaning and sure u r aware of it..
adjusting the work timing in Dubai is not to make it easier for those hungry Muslim employees its because some ppl stay up late praying some times till done its hard to wake up in the morning...to give us more time to worship and socialize. its common for families to get together during this month...
(As for not allowing non-Muslim to eat hear ..at least lets have some privileges as a muslim country)
i agree with maad somthn is better than nothing i know ppl who kept doing this for years… eventually a Ramadan came n they never retrieved back to their old habits ever..there is always hope.
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2006
just wondering is it allowed to have sex(sensual) in ramamamdan ???
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2006
Most religions have a hipocritical side to it. but its yin and yang man. good vs evil. black and white. opposites. you cannot have one without the other.
and yeah, somethng is better than nothing. what would be wrong though, is if one is doing it just because everyone else is doing it, and not because its important to you...
malchris
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 01, 2006
"eventually a Ramadan came n they never retrieved back to their old habits ever..there is always hope."

Mema I like this point of yours above....I guess you can be hopeful. Back to my original post.....do you guys think this is hypocrisy or what? I do think something is better than nothing...but do you think that is comparable to something like "I didn't lie or cheat or steal today, but I did it yesterday and I will do it tommorow" does it make a difference?
Once again...I am so not Miss Islam lol....so I am not judging anyone at all, just wanting to know what others think.
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 01, 2006
I like to think of myself as a rather Strong Muslim, though I practice Islam through my own interpretation and critical reasoning.

**********DISCLAIMER**********

Attacks on my personal beliefs will
not be entertained. I am not
preaching, merely offering a different
point of view.

The way I see it, Ramadan and Fasting (and all of the pillars of Islam) are reminders. During Ramadan, you remember God through abstinence from the things that God has asked you to abstain from. When you Pray you remember that God is the create and omnipotent. When you give alms (zakkaa) you are humbled as you remember that there are people that do not have the blessings that you do, and so on and so forth.

Do Muslims seem to be hypocritical in the transition of Ramadan and the rest of the year?

Yes, but I am sure there is a minuscule amount of people that learn from the holy month. And though they may not leave the clubs, attain sobriety and do away with promiscuity, they may notice some other small trait that they wish to rectify. I recently found out that the most common times of the year for people to give up smoking, drinking, or both are New Years Day and Ramadan. That must count for something.
bear
Dubai chat master

Oct 01, 2006
malchris wrote:what would be wrong though, is if one is doing it just because everyone else is doing it, and not because its important to you...

great point, i second that.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 01, 2006

what i need to go to europe so that god can accept my fasting....;) if you cant resist the temptations than stay at home right?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 01, 2006
You guys, everyone has their own opinion - no need to get defensive. If you are fasting, praying and participating in the usual Ramadan traditions for you and your family - just enjoy! It isn't a competition for who is the better Muslim or who can resist temptation best. Everyone just has to do their best. Yes, fasting here is likely easier than elsewhere where people can eat and drink in front of you - but that doesn't make someone a better Muslim, and I don't think anyone was implying that anyway - so chill people. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 01, 2006
^^ Yes maam
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 01, 2006
I have decided to limit my postings here during Ramadan as part of the spirit of Ramadan of being more spiritual and less mundane. What one is enjoined in keeping away from though is arguments, silly talks etc. I do still look at the forums though – as Muslims are still required to go about their daily lives, working etc.

As this is a thread about Ramadan, I thought I’d share my personal opinions.

Firstly, the initial post shows that for the people in question they know that their actions are un-Islamic and retain enough respect for the religion that they abstain from these sins (under Islam) during Ramadan. Ramadan is more than fasting – but everyone has their own capacities, weaknesses and levels of spirituality. Generally Muslims try to be more spiritual during the month – and in this spirit those that give up sins for the month are respecting this spirit. They have to reconcile the fact that they are following one clear commandment of God (fasting) and then reverting to not following other clear laws of God (not drinking, fornicating etc).

The act of fasting in Ramadan is highly symbolic – we voluntarily give up what is lawful, only to show our obedience and love for God. It goes without saying that we should also keep away (to a greater extent than before) anything that is ‘unlawful’.

Paying lip-service to religion is not un-expected for any religion that is 1500 years old. There comes a time when religion for people loses it’s spiritual aspect and becomes merely cultural. The majority of ‘Christians’ in the UK, for example, view Christmas and Easter as a secular holidays now. The period of Lent leading up to Easter was a time of fasting and now is only observed by a tiny majority of those who call themselves of Christian faith. There are still firm believers and followers of Christianity, but they are the exception rather than the rule in the UK.

I see the current situation among Muslims, in regards to Ramadan, as the start of the process of secularization of the religion. The difference, in my opinion, is that most Muslims do view Islam as more spiritual than cultural at the moment – choosing to pray, abstain from alcohol and s.e.x outside marriage etc. There is a growing and visible minority that choose a hedonistic lifestyle and cultural Islamic practice – picking and choosing what laws to follow. The Islamic principles of charity, generosity, hospitality etc are still strong, even when the restraining laws concerning drinking and socializing with the opposite s.e.x. are abandoned.

In Ramadan acceptance of prayers is greater than at other times and Allah forgives our misdemeanours and oversights. Indeed, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) said that during Ramadan the doors of Paradise are opened and the doors to Hell are shut and Satan is bound up in chains and that unfortunate is a Muslim who experiences Ramadan but does not have his/her sins pardoned.

In short, Islam teaches that only God judges the spiritual worth of a person – a sinner who turns to God in repentance, we are told, can be more beloved of God than a outwardly pious person.

May you get out of Ramadan what you desire.

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 01, 2006
I can say it may look hyprocrisy because one practised all these norms of Ramadan out of his real conviction, he just do the 'right things' because this is the publicly approved attitude.

Anyhow, I still give credit to these people that for at least one month of the year, they've become better than the usual time of the year.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 01, 2006
shafique wrote:I have decided to limit my postings here during Ramadan as part of the spirit of Ramadan of being more spiritual and less mundane. What one is enjoined in keeping away from though is arguments, silly talks etc. I do still look at the forums though – as Muslims are still required to go about their daily lives, working etc.

Firstly, the initial post shows that for the people in question they know that their actions are un-Islamic and retain enough respect for the religion that they abstain from these sins (under Islam) during Ramadan. Ramadan is more than fasting – but everyone has their own capacities, weaknesses and levels of spirituality. Generally Muslims try to be more spiritual during the month – and in this spirit those that give up sins for the month are respecting this spirit. They have to reconcile the fact that they are following one clear commandment of God (fasting) and then reverting to not following other clear laws of God (not drinking, fornicating etc).

The act of fasting in Ramadan is highly symbolic – we voluntarily give up what is lawful, only to show our obedience and love for God. It goes without saying that we should also keep away (to a greater extent than before) anything that is ‘unlawful’.

Paying lip-service to religion is not un-expected for any religion that is 1500 years old. There comes a time when religion for people loses it’s spiritual aspect and becomes merely cultural. The majority of ‘Christians’ in the UK, for example, view Christmas and Easter as a secular holidays now. The period of Lent leading up to Easter was a time of fasting and now is only observed by a tiny majority of those who call themselves of Christian faith. There are still firm believers and followers of Christianity, but they are the exception rather than the rule in the UK.

I see the current situation among Muslims, in regards to Ramadan, as the start of the process of secularization of the religion. The difference, in my opinion, is that most Muslims do view Islam as more spiritual than cultural at the moment – choosing to pray, abstain from alcohol and s.e.x outside marriage etc. There is a growing and visible minority that choose a hedonistic lifestyle and cultural Islamic practice – picking and choosing what laws to follow. The Islamic principles of charity, generosity, hospitality etc are still strong, even when the restraining laws concerning drinking and socializing with the opposite s.e.x. are abandoned.

In Ramadan acceptance of prayers is greater than at other times and Allah forgives our misdemeanours and oversights. Indeed, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) said that during Ramadan the doors of Paradise are opened and the doors to Hell are shut and Satan is bound up in chains and that unfortunate is a Muslim who experiences Ramadan but does not have his/her sins pardoned.

In short, Islam teaches that only God judges the spiritual worth of a person – a sinner who turns to God in repentance, we are told, can be more beloved of God than a outwardly pious person.

Shafique

hey man
you seem to know your stuff
how do i change my religion? i want to turn into buddah
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2006
nismo wrote:
shafique wrote:I have decided to limit my postings here during Ramadan as part of the spirit of Ramadan of being more spiritual and less mundane. What one is enjoined in keeping away from though is arguments, silly talks etc. I do still look at the forums though – as Muslims are still required to go about their daily lives, working etc.

Shafique

hey man

and here we go again the moron who thinks he's funny :x
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2006
mema wrote:
nismo wrote:

Shafique

hey man

and here we go again the moron who thinks he's funny :x

im serious , cause of cunts like you i wanna convert from islam to buddhism
LOL
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2006
nismo, your going overboard now. Save this filth for fightclub or get banned.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 01, 2006
I vote for get banned. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 01, 2006
Shafique what an eloquent reply..it is interesting to get the perspective of someone religious ...while also providing some historical background. I am not so religious so I can't speak too well from that arena. After some people's posts I definetely have started to think that something is better than nothing. And that if those people are willing to stop their activities out of respect for the month, I am absolutely no one to judge someone. I am not anyone to judge anyone anyway :) But, I just don't think that people should rely on being forgiven while never changing or learning from their mistakes.
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 01, 2006
Nismo can you not corrupt a thread about ramadan!
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 01, 2006

Shafique

Mashallah, may Allah continue his blessings upon you.
bear
Dubai chat master

Oct 01, 2006
apologise to mema dude, that wasnt very nice

or just leave, go home
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 01, 2006
Bleakus wrote:apologise to mema dude, that wasnt very nice

or just leave, go home

thanx B but i wont accept his apologies .he is not worth posting a reply..the sad part he says he's muslim.. :( yalla allah yehdeeh
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2006
I think this topic has been tainted by Nismo's interference :roll:
noni
Dubai chat master

Re: Ramadan....the paradox? Oct 03, 2006
noni wrote:is this possible? Does anyone else think this is hypocritical? I do think it is important to respect the customs of the month, and restrain yourself...but why try and be so religous for a month when you are just gonna go back to your old lifestyle. I just don't see how it is doing any good. And I am not saying that everyone is like this nor am I anyone to judge ...but it does happen. Any imput?

A Muslim friend of mine had the following to say:
How about this?
1) If somene sleeps around , drugs etc and it is i a sin as per their faith - they will answer for it to their lord. They have chosen to do it.
2) If someone never prays when they are supposed to as per their faith - they will answer for it to their lord. They have chosen to do it.
3) If someone decides to be as holy as possible during the month of Ramadan all brownie points scored if any, will be from their lord. They have chosen to do it.
noni wrote:I just don't see how it is doing any good.
Even if you meant this with the greatest of intentions, you are still suggesting your opinion is correct and almost asking them to make a choice.
So since it is their actions, they will either answer for it or gain from it. It is therefore not hypocritical as it is a choice made by an individual. All negatives and positives attributed will be to that individual alone. Others do not hold the position to evaluate someone elses action.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums