Ramadan....the Paradox?

Topic locked
Oct 03, 2006
I think I very clearly stated that I am no one to judge anyone. And I hope I didn't come across that way. You are completely right that in the end...god is the only one who will judge and I was not disputing that at all. When I was speaking of hypocrisy I was just pointing out the changes people make during Ramadan and how afterwards they go back to their lifestyle and if they themselves felt this was hypocrtical. I def agree that it is their own choice to do so....just wanted to know the dynamics behind it. I was just trying to get some perspectives...and by no means was trying to evaluate how pious other people are ( i am in absolutely no position to do so). I hope no one was offended..and I apologize if you were. And I will say over and over like I have been that I am no one to judge anyone...and was just trying to get some imput on an interesting topic. Thanks!

noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 03, 2006
noni wrote:I think I very clearly stated that I am no one to judge anyone. And I hope I didn't come across that way. You are completely right that in the end...god is the only one who will judge and I was not disputing that at all. When I was speaking of hypocrisy I was just pointing out the changes people make during Ramadan and how afterwards they go back to their lifestyle and if they themselves felt this was hypocrtical. I def agree that it is their own choice to do so....just wanted to know the dynamics behind it. I was just trying to get some perspectives...and by no means was trying to evaluate how pious other people are ( i am in absolutely no position to do so). I hope no one was offended..and I apologize if you were. And I will say over and over like I have been that I am no one to judge anyone...and was just trying to get some imput on an interesting topic. Thanks!

It is an interesting topic and Thanks.
The extract before was from a Muslim friend of mine who was around earlier and he wasnt offended at all.
I think what he is trying to put around is how anyone can define hypocrisy - it is open to interpretation.
The changes people make for Ramadan are their choices and who knows their intentions? its so difficult to question for you and me. So therefore measuring if they are being hypocritical is impossible. It is maybe similar to telling a girl who wears a Hijab with makeup, that mkeup is not permissable so why is she wearing the Hijab?

You did make it clear that you are not judging - its just one of those VERY tricky topics!
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2006
Very interesting thread, I spoke about this particular topic with my friends recently. I think it is hypocrisy, I guess it is between themselves and Allah. In Islam any act you do has to be sincere to be accepted by Allah, any repentance have a main condition to be accepted (to be determined, you will not go to that sin again) So how about that person planning to go out drinking in eid but can not do it now, because it is Ramadan!!! is it for the month or for Allah? Some people do it because it is shameful not fast while everyone doing it. I have a Muslim colleague who been harassed by other Muslims asking him everyday why he is not fasting?? I hate, hypocrisy, even though this guy is not relguies he is 10 times better than those who ask him. It is people choice whatever they do but before doing any act, people have to consider the reasons for their actions. Something funny happened to my friend the other day, she wear the hijab and while she was walking home she passed a pub and outside were two Muslim guys who she knew, as soon as they saw her they tried to hid their drink!!! She told me who cares!!! iam not going to judge them!! So, some people care what others/society think of them, for me it does not make sense!!! either do it properly for the sake of allh or do not change your life for one month.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 03, 2006
sara_uk wrote:So, some people care what others/society think of them, for me it does not make sense!!! either do it properly for the sake of allh or do not change your life for one month.

Hmm Sara , you are touching the very sensitivities here.

im not trying to twist your words but,
Are you suggesting that if someone does not follow their faith for 11 months and only does for one, that you discourage them to do so for that one month? Surely that cant go down well with the lord! isnt Some thought to be better than none, as Noni stated?

I think people should allow the individual to choose their course of action. if some feel that those people are not helping themselves, pray for them to better it lets not discourage it.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2006
As I said repentance main condition is the determination to give up the sin but if you slip hopefully allah will forgive you but, What iam talking about is people only stop all the sins and make plan ahead will meet in 30 days to go partying. They are defeating the purpose of this fast, yes it is better to do it, yes it is their choice but I found those kind of people to be very judgmental and tell people what to do and common it is Ramadan etc etc.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 03, 2006
sara_uk wrote:As I said repentance main condition is the determination to give up the sin but if you slip hopefully allah will forgive you but, What iam talking about is people only stop all the sins and make plan ahead will meet in 30 days to go partying. They are defeating the purpose of this fast, yes it is better to do it, yes it is their choice but I found those kind of people to be very judgmental and tell people what to do and common it is Ramadan etc etc.

Hence i wrote

"I think people should allow the individual to choose their course of action. if some feel that those people are not helping themselves, pray for them to better it lets not discourage it."

There will always be people who tell others what to do. I believe they should be ignored and for each person to work on bettering themselves.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2006
mema wrote:
Bleakus wrote:apologise to mema dude, that wasnt very nice

or just leave, go home

thanx B but i wont accept his apologies .he is not worth posting a reply..the sad part he says he's muslim.. :( yalla allah yehdeeh

i wouldnt appologize even if you gimme a Blowjob!!!!

LOL
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2006
this guy is ridiculous..have some respect. how dare you talk to her like that...can a mod please do something?
noni
Dubai chat master

Re: Ramadan....the paradox? Oct 03, 2006
noni wrote:A friend and I were discussing Ramadan and how people change during the month. I think this is an interesting topic....How come during Ramadan some people completely change their lifestyle only to revert right back to it after the Holy month is over. Before Ramadan they are drinking, sleeping around, and not being religous whatsover. As soon as the first day of the month, they are fasting, not swearing, praying, no partying, dates, fooling around, etc etc....they all of a sudden become religious for this one month. Finally after Eid...its back to the old ways: back to the sleeping around, and back to getting completely drunk. How is this possible? Does anyone else think this is hypocritical? I do think it is important to respect the customs of the month, and restrain yourself...but why try and be so religous for a month when you are just gonna go back to your old lifestyle. I just don't see how it is doing any good. And I am not saying that everyone is like this nor am I anyone to judge ...but it does happen. Any imput?

its very simple.

its obviously not a matter of faith. its about "following the crowd". so when EVERYONE is involved with worship, people just join in.

hence the Importance of the concept of friendship in islam.

but once people stop, everyone stops.

its not religious any more..its more cultural..

but Allah knows what is in our hearts.

so its not what people do externally that matters, but what they believe internally. because in the end, its what they believe internally that will reflect ther Ikhlaas externally
Abdullah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 04, 2006
What really amazes (let a side the point of hypocrisy or no hypocrisy) that these people who insist the entire year that cant give up smokn, drinking. .etc are capable of doing so for and entire month so they know they have the strength n them why not keep it on..i'v seen people give up these thing till the last day of ramadan and back again..!!
mema
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums