Professor Richard Dawkins Wants To Convert Islamic World To

Topic locked
Professor Richard Dawkins wants to convert Islamic world to Mar 08, 2010
A sobering look at the beliefs of many in the Muslim world:

The author of The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene, whose new book, The Greatest Show on Earth, is serialised in The Times next week, has topped bestseller lists all over the world but never in a predominantly Muslim country.

None of Professor Dawkins’ books, on evolution as well as religion, has ever been translated into Arabic, and his work has been heavily censored in Turkey. In an interview with The Times, he said that popularising evolution in the Islamic world, where creationist beliefs are strong, was a challenge he is keen to take up. “To be a bestseller in a Muslim country would be a personal triumph,” he said.

“I would like to see my books translated into Arabic. They haven’t been. They are all translated into Hebrew. Persian, I’m not sure. My books are translated into Turkish and they regularly get censored and suppressed.

“The experience of my Turkish publisher of The God Delusion was that he was threatened with arrest for blasphemy. He may even have been arrested, and my website has been banned in Turkey. I feel amused really. There’s something to be said for being suppressed, it makes people want to read you.”

While most non-fundamentalist Christian traditions have largely accepted evolution, Islam was still much more hostile, he said. “It’s the fact that Islam teaches the Koran is the literal word of God, unlike most Christian sects, which say the Bible is largely symbolic. That could well be the cause.”

Professor Dawkins added that Islamic influence is the likely explanation for the growing popularity of creationist beliefs in Britain, where a recent poll found that 30 per cent of teenagers accept the rebranded idea of “intelligent design”.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 805889.ece

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Professor Richard Dawkins wants to convert Islamic world to Mar 08, 2010
Also, another article about Muslims and creationism in Britain (maybe shafique just doesn't know very many Muslims?):

Prof Dawkins, a well-known atheist, also blamed the Government for accommodating religious views and allowing creationism to be taught in schools.

"Most devout Muslims are creationists so when you go to schools, there are a large number of children of Islamic parents who trot out what they have been taught," Prof Dawkins said in a Sunday newspaper interview.

"Teachers are bending over backwards to respect home prejudices that children have been brought up with. The Government could do more, but it doesn't want to because it is fanatical about multiculturalism and the need to respect the different traditions from which these children come."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... hools.html
event horizon

The fact remains though that it is only Christian Bible 'literalists' that want creationism to be treated as science _whereas Muslim scientists were never subject to condemnation for pointing out scientific facts. Dawkins has an issue with anyone believing in God.

I recommend Dawkin's book 'the God delusion' - excellent reading and well argued case. I agree with his devastating analysis of the Bible and really only disagree with his leap of faith at the end where he argues that their probably is not a God.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

According to the link, it is mainly Muslims who do not believe in evolution.

Dawkins also argues that in the UK, most of the people who hold creationist beliefs are Muslims - exposing your spin that you do not know any Muslims who are creationists...
event horizon

Doesn't change the facts that it is the Bible literalists that have been and still are against science. Just quoting Dawkins having a go at organised religion as a crime against children doesn't change this.

In fact given you're quoting Dawkins, I'll start a thread next week quoting what he has to say about the Bible and science - it will be great to see if you agree with him or not

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Professor Richard Dawkins wants to convert Islamic world to Mar 24, 2010
Ahh, I think I have my answer to the question I posed:

shafique wrote:quoting what he has to say about the Bible and science - it will be great to see if you agree with him or not

(But to be fair, I only quoted Dawkins listing God's attributes and his revelation that the nativity story was made up centuries after the event - so not quite quotes about 'science' - but we'll get to those after you address these two initial quotes).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dawkins should stick to biology. He isn't a historian or a theologian. I've read a little about his book and he makes some very glaring errors on the Bible (kind of like how you rely on missionary websites for your biblical talking points...and end up embarrassing yourself). Like you, Dawkins also seems to be dependent on articles written by random non-experts for his knowledge on the Bible and on history.

Like Dawkins, I remember watching a deceased astro-physisist on youtube who was popular back in the seventies. He held some quaint belief and he supported it by claiming that the church believed the earth was flat during the middle ages!

Point being, these guys might be smart in their fields of expertise (Dawkins embarassed himself academically back in the seventies and had to claim he was just playing 'devil's advocate' to save face), but Lord knows why these scientists think that anyone is impressed with their opinions on other topics - though I do think Dawkins is correct on contemporary issues involving Islam.
event horizon

Wow - talk about a back-peddle!

But thanks for proving me right - you started this thread quoting 'Professor Richard Dawkins' but ended up disowning him when you realised that you can't address his criticisms of the Bible (in 'God Delusion' thread)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Buahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!! This really is funny. Although I dont do anything more than glance over the stuff posted here ( very very repetitive and boring ! )

But this really is funny. Ratty just got big self adminstered foot in mouth dose about all that other dawkin crap hes crapped all over this forum. And to top it all hoping maybe its his saving grace, but infact makes him looks like a bigger that fool he really is. Bahh Dawkins is a fool and idiot and is not worth two hoots, oh but yes the stuff he says which supports my agenda is all true after all he is a man of great learning and the rest is all bollocks. LOOOL

Man, dude if you ever had any credibilty with anyone here, which I seriously doubt you did other than your other two bum chums I can safely bet you just lost it, big time !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Buahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!! This really is funny. Although I dont do anything more than glance over the stuff posted here ( very very repetitive and boring ! )

But this really is funny. Ratty just got big self adminstered foot in mouth dose about all that other dawkin crap hes crapped all over this forum. And to top it all hoping maybe its his saving grace, but infact makes him looks like a bigger that fool he really is. Bahh Dawkins is a fool and idiot and is not worth two hoots, oh but yes the stuff he says which supports my agenda is all true after all he is a man of great learning and the rest is all bollocks. LOOOL

Man, dude if you ever had any credibilty with anyone here, which I seriously doubt you did other than your other two bum chums I can safely bet you just lost it, big time !

The British empire was historically known for its kind treatment towards animals.

When they colonized India, the Brits taught the natives how to read.

Perhaps you can kindly ask any British subject on how to read and write in the English language?
event horizon

shafique wrote:Wow - talk about a back-peddle!

But thanks for proving me right - you started this thread quoting 'Professor Richard Dawkins' but ended up disowning him when you realised that you can't address his criticisms of the Bible (in 'God Delusion' thread)

Cheers,
Shafique

How am I backpedaling ?

Did I quote Dawkins on history or theology and later correctly claim that Dawkins is not a historian or a theologian?

Well...no. I didn't.

I quoted a current British biology professor to see what he has to say on the beliefs of a segment of the British population. Since he teaches biology and lives in Britain, I would imagine that he would know whether or not British Muslims typically believe in evolution or reject it in favor of the wild tales found in the Koran.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Buahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!! This really is funny. Although I dont do anything more than glance over the stuff posted here ( very very repetitive and boring ! )

The British empire was historically known for its kind treatment towards animals.

When they colonized India, the Brits taught the natives how to read.

Oh Please STFU you moron, go play with your master shaf.

Shaf ! you didn't put your pet on a leash today ! What gives ?

Perhaps you can kindly ask any British subject on how to read and write in the English language?
desertdudeshj

He's not happy - as he's been caught with his trousers down (oops, or is that without any trousers at all - just mouth!)
:roll:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sorry - how am I backpedaling again?

Didn't quite catch that in your little fantasy involving me.

Was my post unclear - I quoted Dawkins (a British biology professor) about the beliefs of Muslims in Britain regarding evolution and I later point out that Dawkins is not a historian or a theologian - so I don't put too much weight into what Dawkins has to say on theological/historical issues (he's often wrong on various historical subjects btw).

How is that backpedaling?
event horizon

Re: Professor Richard Dawkins wants to convert Islamic world to Mar 25, 2010

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

event horizon wrote:Sorry - how am I backpedaling again?

Was my post unclear - I quoted Dawkins (a British biology professor) about the beliefs of Muslims in Britain regarding evolution and I later point out that Dawkins is not a historian or a theologian - so I don't put too much weight into what Dawkins has to say on theological/historical issues (he's often wrong on various historical subjects btw).

event horizon

Yawn. The lady doth protest...

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

event horizon wrote:
event horizon wrote:Sorry - how am I backpedaling again?

event horizon

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums