Muslim Women To Mosque: Tear Down This Wall

Topic locked
Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 25, 2010
Where does 'God' say in the Koran how to calculate Zakat?

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 25, 2010
God tells us to pay Zakat in the Quran - the rate is decided by the authorities.

Is this 20 questions, dear Sheikh? ;)

(What does God telling you and me to pay Zakaat have to do with women driving cars?)

:bigsmurf:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 26, 2010
You made the point that if something is not in the Koran, you should not follow it. I was simply asking you how to calculate Zakat since that is not in the Koran.
event horizon

God says pay Zakat - He's pretty clear about that - isn't he sheikh?

So what's the problem? What rate should we pay, dear sheikh?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:God says pay Zakat - He's pretty clear about that - isn't he sheikh?

Cheers,
Shafique

The Koran is a complete book, so it should have included such an important issue such as this.
event horizon

Glad we agree that God says we should pay Zakat (and pray, fast, worship him alone, do pilgrimage etc).

Still not sure what you're arguing though - can't see what this has to do with God not saying women can't drive. Are you going to issue another fatwa?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 27, 2010
Hey, I'm just pointing out that the Koran doesn't say a lot of things - including how Muslims should calculate Zakat or that the Koran is not the only source for the misogynist beliefs in Islam.
event horizon

lol! Shaf you are sooo in denial!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

LOL - I agree melika.

The sheikh is producing fatwas about Islamic jurisprudence, I'm in complete denial that I should follow his logic, rather than my simplistic statement that God does not say in the Quran that women can't drive. I don't think even you would argue that Islam says women can't drive! ;)

However, I do agree with sheikh when he says that misogynistic practices by Muslims must come from outside the Quran, this is in contrast with misogynistic passages in the Bible which most Christians quite rightly ignore (like it is ok to sell your daughter into slavery, they shouldn't talk in church etc). The sheikh once again makes excellent points.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

actually he is doing a good job as critisizing Islam, I just dont get why he has so much motives!

Besides he is showing a good picture of christians too, unlike u and other muslims like Berrin,Desertdude,Rudeboy who showing a pure picture of Muslims by their pretty language!! He never called you by names like sheikh, eh-oh,troll...He is always polite and to the point!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

event horizon wrote:
shafique wrote:God says pay Zakat - He's pretty clear about that - isn't he sheikh?

Cheers,
Shafique

The Koran is a complete book, so it should have included such an important issue such as this.

hehe, important issue is the number of prophet's wife, or how old wives should not be jealoous of new ones!! not Zakat etc etc
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

LOL - I'm glad that we agree the sheikh is doing a good job and that the Muslims using profane language can learn a few things from him.

As for the sheikh being polite - I guess you missed all the insults he's thrown out and I've laughed at! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 28, 2010
shafique wrote:LOL - I agree melika.

The sheikh is producing fatwas about Islamic jurisprudence, I'm in complete denial that I should follow his logic, rather than my simplistic statement that God does not say in the Quran that women can't drive. I don't think even you would argue that Islam says women can't drive! ;)

However, I do agree with sheikh when he says that misogynistic practices by Muslims must come from outside the Quran, this is in contrast with misogynistic passages in the Bible which most Christians quite rightly ignore (like it is ok to sell your daughter into slavery, they shouldn't talk in church etc). The sheikh once again makes excellent points.

Cheers,
Shafique

Nope - I said that the Koran is not the only source of all of Islam's misogynist beliefs. Some (many) of these come from the Sunnah of Muhammad and the rightly guided caliphs, such as Caliph Umar who married a ten year old girl (just like Muhammad) and used the whip on at least one of his wives. Ali, for his contribution to womens' rights, had four wives and sixteen concubines at the time he was assassinated (I believe he was decapitated- perhaps some divine karma for all of his decapitations he carried out during his bloody life).

As for your quaint belief on the New Testament, I've already invited you to compare the teachings in the New Testament regarding women with those in the Koran. I see you're fond of your old hat interpretation of a verse that says not to speak in church but is preceded by a verse that says for women to speak in church.

What did you say about context? Oh, right. One can only play the context card when we discuss the violent passages in the Koran. NM.
event horizon

Re: Muslim Women to Mosque: Tear Down this Wall Feb 28, 2010
Dear sheikh, I understand your arguments. Again I am impressed that you've have so deftly selected the arguments from orientalist websites about Islam's teachings in regards to women.

I agree it is indeed worth repeating the discussions we had which compared Biblical and Quranic teachings about women - I'll start a new thread.

As for this one, I'm still not sure whether I agree with your fatwa that God says women can't drive though.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums