Islamic Punishment For Theft

Topic locked
Islamic Punishment for Theft Feb 25, 2007
I thought I'd start a new thread to clarify that not all thefts lead to the punishment of amputation.

http://www.islamic-study.org/Islamic%20Penal%20Law.htm

According to Islamic law, the maximum penalty for professional theft is cutting hands. It should be understood that this policy does not mean that for every theft there is a hand to be cut. The judge exercises other forms of penalties such as imprisonments or fines. With the mere existence of the hand-cutting rule, however, theft in Muslim societies never grew to the level of proficiency and organized crime. The effect of severity of hand cutting as a punishment for theft, and the shameful impact on someone with his hand cut has almost completely eliminated this social disease in the Muslim societies.

An article on Islamic law - Myths and Realities:
http://muslim-canada.org/Islam_myths.htm
Some in the media only mention that if you steal, your hand is cut off. The Islamic judge must look at a higher level of proof and reasons why the person committed the crime. A judge can only impose the Hadd punishment when a person confesses to the crime or there are enough witnesses to the crime. The usual number of witnesses is two, but in the case of adultery four witnesses are required. The media often leaves the public with the impression that all are punished with flimsy evidence or limited proof.
(Note that the authors believe Apostacy is a crime and make a reference to 'liberal' judges not viewing it as a crime - I have a separate thread on the subject of apostacy - but here we are talking about the punishment for theft, which they cover well.)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 25, 2007
Shafique,

Excellent web site !

Is there any 'Islamic Punishment for greedy landlord or high-speed-driver' ?

Thanks.
nusa
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 26, 2007
nusa wrote:Shafique,

Excellent web site !

Is there any 'Islamic Punishment for greedy landlord or high-speed-driver' ?

Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Islamic Punishment for Theft Feb 27, 2007
shafique wrote:The usual number of witnesses is two, but in the case of adultery four witnesses are required.

In which case are there four witnesses for adultery?
I really do not believe, that all the people that were executed in islamic countries for adultery were observed by four different people.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Islamic Punishment for Theft Feb 27, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
shafique wrote:The usual number of witnesses is two, but in the case of adultery four witnesses are required.

In which case are there four witnesses for adultery?
I really do not believe, that all the people that were executed in islamic countries for adultery were observed by four different people.

The requirement for 4 witnesses is quite clear - it is in the Quran.

I don't have any evidence that this requirement is being waived.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 04, 2007
-
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums