Do you believe in God?

valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Jul 19, 2006
Nope
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 19, 2006
Ever since there has been belief in a God and religions, people have been killing and fighting each other in his name. Therefore I choose not to. In my humble opinion people would be better off not believing in a God, but believing in ways of life to live peacefully together.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: God Jul 19, 2006
valkyrie wrote:Do you believe in God?

valkyrie

isnt that a norse or nordic term...havent googled it yet...but am guessing...are you leading this to paganism or just the pure belief in a higher power?
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 19, 2006
FYI, 'The Valkyries, were warrior maidens who attended Odin, ruler of the gods. The Valkyries rode through the air in brilliant armor, directed battles, distributed death lots among the warriors, and conducted the souls of slain heroes to Valhalla, the great hall of Odin. Their leader was Brunhild. Freya or Freyja, goddess of love, fertility, and beauty, sometimes identified as the goddess of battle and death. Her father was Njord, a fertility god. Blond, blue-eyed, and beautiful, Freya traveled on a golden-bristled boar or in a chariot drawn by cats. She resided in the celestial realm of Folkvang, where it was her privilege to receive half of all the warriors slain in battle; the god Odin received the other half at Valhalla. In Germany, Freya was sometimes identified with Frigg, the wife of Odin. Friday originates from Frigga's day.'

From Scandinavian mythology. Paganism and the old mythologies were mostly about the goddess. It all got messed up as soon as 'man' thought he was better and put himself over woman.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 19, 2006
i just wonder if god knows what going on down here??? i hope he doesnt :?
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 19, 2006
You just gave the explaination to why my answer to val's question is a definate NO!
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 19, 2006
Stop and think about what you just wrote! If, there is a God, If he is meant to be all-knowing and all powerful and around us all the time, then of course he knows what's going on.

Which is why it's even harder for me to believe in such things, that an all powerful being would allow such things to happen. To me it's a sick twiested joke on humanity.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 19, 2006
the reason why some ppl believe in God is that they need to know that there is somebody who rules all, knows all and has the last word in all.
so lets see what wrong with this theory
1. in all religions that aknowledge god, god is a He. were "he" a she, it would be just as erroneous. are we talking about a person here? cos only a person can be he or she. if u think about it, u can see how ridiculous this idea is.
also if u think of all the names we give that smthing that we call God. no wonder there is all the discrepancy between religions. if It has so many names its much easier to talk about ur god, my god, his god...
2. when it comes to taking responsability, ppl of all times have been chickenshit(sorry if im being harsh). so what better way to get rid of some of that responsabilty, than say "if im being miserable, is because God wont let me be happy", "if there is war and ppl being killed, is cos God forgot about them" etc.

those who deny the existance of God, deny it for the same reasons.

the day we finally understand that "God" is spirituality and not some concept or set of rules (made by us humans, for that matter), that each person's/nation's level of spirituality is what decides its limits and fate, and that the answers are within ourselves not outside smwhere, that day we might stop having wars and kill each other in the name of religion or whatever other reason.
raidah

Jul 19, 2006
If God exists, why is there so much sufferring and pain in the world?
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 19, 2006
God died on this earth
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 19, 2006
I find it hard to look around at the order in the universe

- the way the planets circle around the sun
- the birth and death of stars
- the complex organisation of insects and animals on the earth
- the beginning of human life from a single cell to a fully formed baby with emotions and feelings

and deny that there is a creator behind all of this.
Wonderwoman
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 19, 2006
Well for a start that's just physics, chemistry, biology, instinct, energy and evolution.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 19, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well for a start that's just physics, chemistry, biology, instinct, energy and evolution.

Your point being......?

I'm not denying that we may label various things in the world as physics, chemistry and so on - but that doesn't discount that the order behind these things points to one source or creator.

I believe science and God are not seperate.
Wonderwoman
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 19, 2006
Wonderwoman wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Well for a start that's just physics, chemistry, biology, instinct, energy and evolution.

Your point being......?

I'm not denying that we may label various things in the world as physics, chemistry and so on - but that doesn't discount that the order behind these things points to one source or creator.

I believe science and God are not seperate.

I believe that lack of science is what created God.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 19, 2006
mraph33 wrote:I believe that lack of science is what created God.

interesting ...

i am waiting for shafique to post on this thread, i know he has posted before a great post on the same subject in a different thread. i will try to fish it out.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Ever since there has been belief in a God and religions, people have been killing and fighting each other in his name. Therefore I choose not to. In my humble opinion people would be better off not believing in a God, but believing in ways of life to live peacefully together.

Religions are the codes and a way to spend the life and its again us who are deterorating them with false interpretation. All the countruies have some kind of laws and regulation to govern the entire state and in the same way ,religions are the code to spend a life.

If you dont find the job then you can not blame the schools but you shuld blame yourselves, who do not acquire the necessary skills. It is very easy to blame the God for your miserable life.
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 20, 2006
Corcovado wrote:i just wonder if god knows what going on down here??? i hope he doesnt :?

Why?
God
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 20, 2006
ajb wrote:Nope

You're in trouble :wink:
God
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 20, 2006

How's that then? You think humans many years ago created God before they developed science? Making fire was not science? Making a wheel?
God
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 20, 2006
God wrote:
ajb wrote:Nope

You're in trouble :wink:

Oh smite me with a lightening bolt!!! :lol:

Havn't you read the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy .... God vanished in a puff of logic!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 20, 2006
God wrote:

How's that then? You think humans many years ago created God before they developed science? Making fire was not science? Making a wheel?

Hey I'm actaully talking to God!!!!! How spiritual!!!!
I'm not an anthropologist, but I don't think the cavemen who banged 2 stones together had a firm grasp on the scientific foundations to what they were doing.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2006
Yes.

To believe in no God requires much more faith than I posess.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a table came into existence by chance (rather than being created), but I accept it is POSSIBLE it was created by chance..but highly improbable. I choose to believe in the more plausible explanation that things that are complex are created rather than just exist.

I therefore have a lot of respect for the amount of faith people who do not believe in a Creator must have. I believe in a Creator of the Universe and all the laws of Nature - and I believe in evolution etc, but as part of Creation.

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 20, 2006
I don't believe in God either. This world is too screwed up for there to be a God.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 20, 2006
I am just going to paste some lyrics of a song (actually a dialogue from a movie that the band uses in the song) :

[Male Voice]
That cross you wear around your neck;
is it only a decoration, or are you a
true Christian believer?

[Female Voice]
Yes, I believe - truly

[Male Voice]
Then I want you to remove it at once!
- and never to wear it within this castle
again! Do you know how a falcon is trained my
dear? Her eyes are sown shut. Blinded temporarily
she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until
her will is submerged and she learns to serve -
as your God taught and blinded you with
crosses.

[Female Voice]
You had me take off my cross because it
offended....

[Male Voice]
It offended no-one. No - it simply appears
to me to be discourteous to... to wear
the symbol of a deity long dead.
My ancestors tried to find it. And to open
the door that seperates us from our Creator.

[Female Voice]
But you need no doors to find God.
If you believe....

[Male Voice]
Believe?! If you believe you are gullible.
Can you look around this world and believe
in the goodness of a god who rules it?
Famine, Pestilence, War, Disease and Death!
They rule this world.

[Female Voice]
There is also love and life and hope.

[Male Voice]
Very little hope I assure you. No. If a god
of love and life ever did exist... he is long
since dead. Someone... something rules in his
place.

----------------

By the way I am not trying to offend anyone. These lyrics just happen to summarize pretty well my opinion on religion and God.
Nick81

Re: God Aug 06, 2006

YES... :)
zam

Aug 06, 2006
shafique wrote:Yes.

To believe in no God requires much more faith than I posess.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a table came into existence by chance (rather than being created), but I accept it is POSSIBLE it was created by chance..but highly improbable. I choose to believe in the more plausible explanation that things that are complex are created rather than just exist.

I therefore have a lot of respect for the amount of faith people who do not believe in a Creator must have. I believe in a Creator of the Universe and all the laws of Nature - and I believe in evolution etc, but as part of Creation.

Shafique
best post in this topic! nothing to add! nice Shaf
do i get premission to quote it sometimes? :wink:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 06, 2006
I think the jury's still out.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2006
Sure alexander - quote it freely. It's a common enough argument - called the 'the watchmaker argument' which states that just as a watch is complicated and couldn't have been made by chance..so there must be a watchmaker..

For balance, Richard Dawkins has written a book called 'The Blind Watchmaker' in which he argues in favour of evolution/natural selection - however this a refutation of 'Creationism' that everything was created as is by God and that evolution did not occur.

I believe in evolution, but that everything was actually created and set in motion by an intelligent force. Some people refer to this force as 'Mother Nature' etc.

Linking the watchmaker argument to amounts of faith though is my own idea - I use statistics a lot and basically to believe in something that is highly improbable is a definition of faith. To NOT believe in a creator of the universe is to have MORE faith than the belief that there is an intelligent force behind nature.

I rest my case m'lud
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Aug 06, 2006

Yes i do.

Check a book called, "dilogue with my pagan friend" by Moustafa mahmoud.

Hope it was translated to enlgish, it is very nice book.

It is for a guy who has been born as beliver, then he lost faith, then he started digging, then again lost faith then he is back after finished digging.

Anyway, i can't belive a world without God.

Just a note that existance of God doesn't mean that should be no suffering nor evil.

the existance of suffering and evil, make us value the "good doing" and well being.

We can't understand the light, if there was no darkeness.
yshimy

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums