God's Existence?

Topic locked
God's existence? Jan 30, 2009
A lot of people do believe in God. Then there are those who does not believe in God. They call themselves atheists. Those who believe, can you prove that God really exists?
For atheist, can you prove that God does not exists?

Skyper
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2009
yes i can prove that god exist..

look around you and you will know that god exist.
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2009
naruto wrote:yes i can prove that god exist..

I've looked around me and if God does exist then he is a cruel b*stard. So many suffering and dying for no reason. Is it all a sick joke to him?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 31, 2009
skyper just place your hand on your heart and hear its beat. i think that should be enough to wonder whether there is a god or not.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

I've looked around me and if God does exist then he is a cruel b*stard. So many suffering and dying for no reason. Is it all a sick joke to him?

all this suffering and all the ppl you see around you dying for no reason, is because of us humans.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

all this suffering and all the ppl you see around you dying for no reason, is because of us humans.

What is the point of God then? He can't intervene, he can't stop the suffering, why should we care about him? Why not just forget about God and forge a system of beliefs based on mutual respect and compassion?

People cause the suffering, people cause the good, people can build our world, people can destroy our world. It's just people here. There is no God.

You feel better because you think there is a God looking after you. Good for you. Children feel better when they think Santa Clause is bringing them presents, it doesn't make it true. The world will be a better place when we all forget about this mythical 'God' and start taking responsibility for our actions. I know what is right and wrong, I don't need some thousand year old story to tell me.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 31, 2009
The church (on matter which religion) is the best marketing company the world ever seen since more than 2000 years

They are selling a product no one has seen and dealing with ppls mind
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

What is the point of God then? He can't intervene, he can't stop the suffering, why should we care about him? Why not just forget about God and forge a system of beliefs based on mutual respect and compassion?

People cause the suffering, people cause the good, people can build our world, people can destroy our world. It's just people here. There is no God.

You feel better because you think there is a God looking after you. Good for you. Children feel better when they think Santa Clause is bringing them presents, it doesn't make it true. The world will be a better place when we all forget about this mythical 'God' and start taking responsibility for our actions. I know what is right and wrong, I don't need some thousand year old story to tell me.

God doesnt want to intervene because all of this is a test. He gave us the World to live on together. Instead we are doing the opposite and destroying the world. If He wanted to He can stop all this but i think He wants us lazy humans to move our asses around :D.

There is already a system in place called the UN :D

God created us Humans to make the world a wonderful place or we could destroy it. its up to you and me not him ;)

God is not looking after me, He is looking after everyone :D. plus i think He is only there when you need him the most.

You are right we should take responsiblity for our actions but what has god got to do with that :S. what is happening in Palestine is because of us humans. what is happening with the o-zone is happening because of us. what has god got to do?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
What a load of boohockey!

I'm with CA on this one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:What a load of boohockey!

I'm with CA on this one.

us humans are always good at blaming each other or if you cant find anyone, we just go oh we might as well blame it on god :D

chocs you believe in "black magic" yet you do not believe in God lol and you find all this a boohockey.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
Why does all magic have to be 'black', evil, dark etc.

No,no, most magix are to do with earthly energies.

There are 'beings' supernatural or otherwise, ghosts etc.

But I don't think people should live their lives putting all their trust, faith etc in one ultimate all encompassing being - to me that's just crazy talk.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Why does all magic have to be 'black', evil, dark etc.

No,no, most magix are to do with earthly energies.

There are 'beings' supernatural or otherwise, ghosts etc.

But I don't think people should live their lives putting all their trust, faith etc in one ultimate all encompassing being - to me that's just crazy talk.

chocos islam tells us to trust god (allah) with our hearts. some misunderstand islam, thinking that trusting Allah means fatalistic lazy dependence! This is not the real meaning of trust in Allah. When I ask you to put your absolute trust in Allah, I mean that you do whatever is possible, you make use of all the available means, then you put your trust in Allah. Trusting in Allah is a worship done by the heart; it has nothing to do with your other organs. You should use all your other organs to achieve your dreams and fulfil your needs but at the same time your heart should put trust in Allah.

If you trust him with your heart you will be rewarded. Certain doors will be closed but He will open many more. As long as you trust him with your heart. If you dont then you wont get any rewards. And I think this is the same for any other religion.

One encompassing being is so powerful that the Ghosts you believe in are part of Him ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
er no I don't think so! I don't like any religions, sorry to put it bluntly, but I think it's a waste of time and they cause half the problems in the world today.

I think it's all a human invention to instill control on people.

I'll stick to not believing. But each to their own, if others find it necessary then that's their business.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 01, 2009
The OP's questions are loaded. It's not correct to ask believers to prove the existence of their god(s) since they rely on faith-- belief even in the absence of proof. Conversely, it's not up to non-believers to prove the non-existence of deities that the believers believe in. The burden of proof is not on them.

That being said, I don't think religions were invented as a way to control the masses. They may have evolved into that during certain periods of human history but their most likely beginnings were spurned by early man's inability to understand the forces of nature. Many phenomena and "miracles" of yesterday are now clearly understood and explained through science.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:The OP's questions are loaded. It's not correct to ask believers to prove the existence of their god(s) since they rely on faith-- belief even in the absence of proof. Conversely, it's not up to non-believers to prove the non-existence of deities that the believers believe in. The burden of proof is not on them.

That being said, I don't think religions were invented as a way to control the masses. They may have evolved into that during certain periods of human history but their most likely beginnings were spurned by early man's inability to understand the forces of nature. Many phenomena and "miracles" of yesterday are now clearly understood and explained through science.

science? science is something what us humans came up with. the question is who gave us the brain to come up with things such as science? can you show me a scientific formulation for the creation of the brain :P
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
rudeboy wrote:science? science is something what us humans came up with. the question is who gave us the brain to come up with things such as science? can you show me a scientific formulation for the creation of the brain :P

Actually, science is not something that humans "came up with". Just as mathematics is not something that humans "came up with". It just is. These are universal truths that exist whether or not we humans ever existed. Therefore your first question, "who gave us the brain to come up with things such as science?" is invalid.

As for your second question, feel free to peruse any medical resources (including the ever useful Wikipedia) regarding this wonderful organ.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2009
Btw, in Islam God rarely intervenes in this world, at least not in the way some people demand. Regarding, suffering and hardships, I read similar discussion in another forum, I'll quote here:

While I do not dispute any of your points, the fundamental point regarding these examples is to give an argument in favor of the hereafter. Most of these verses are actually in the context of proving the judgement in the next life. The Quran is essentially saying that everything in life has a complement, without which it is incomplete. If such a thing si the case, then how can one deny that this world has it's complement in the next life. We see that good and equal are not always judged equally in this world. The believers may suffer harm and hardship for adhering to the call of their morality, while the disbelievers profit. Such a reality can not always last, otherwise this world would be incomplete.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2009
If there is a god, he lets far too many horrible things happen in this world. If he is all-powerful, then this world should be under his control and everyone should be following his lead. He would be communicating with his creations every day and there would be no confusion about his wishes. The world is not like this, everyone is divided by different beliefs, and people are abusing the earth, its creatures and each other. This is why there must be no god. I suppose there is a possibility that there was a god who created everything and then left, but that is as far as I could believe in the existence of any god.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:If there is a god, he lets far too many horrible things happen in this world.

If God wants to intervene and judge in this world then what is the point of after life and day of judgment? This life has freewill which has its dark side too.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2009
Why the need to judge, why can't his creations live well on earth and in the afterlife?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:Why the need to judge, why can't his creations live well on earth and in the afterlife?

On one side you say lot of horrible things happen on the other why need to judge. It is obvious when there is freewill and capacity to do both good and bad then there will be judgment, reward, and punishment.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:If there is a god, he lets far too many horrible things happen in this world. If he is all-powerful, then this world should be under his control and everyone should be following his lead. He would be communicating with his creations every day and there would be no confusion about his wishes. The world is not like this, everyone is divided by different beliefs, and people are abusing the earth, its creatures and each other. This is why there must be no god. I suppose there is a possibility that there was a god who created everything and then left, but that is as far as I could believe in the existence of any god.

kanelli god made this world for us humans. he made all of us. all these horrible things you see happening around this world is not because of god but because of us Humans. If he wanted to intervene am sure he would. but you can say it is a test for humans to see how strong they are and during hardship what exactly do they do. he is testing us to see whether we can ride this storm out ourselfs or we choose to go the wrong way and follow the devil or whether ppl in this hardtime remember him and keep his belief in him. Thats what Islam is about, believing in God with your heart. if your heart is strong you will get through all of this.

earth is just a test. what matters is the judgement day.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
So, we are toys for his amusement - "Hey, look what I created, let's see what they do to each other. I'll reward the good ones and punish the bad ones after they die." That doesn't sound particularly ethical. Why would a god create so many other religions, just to divide people and keep people guessing. Have one clear religious path for the world to follow would still be enough of a challenge for humans, and provide god with his chance to judge at the end.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:So, we are toys for his amusement - "Hey, look what I created, let's see what they do to each other. I'll reward the good ones and punish the bad ones after they die." That doesn't sound particularly ethical. Why would a god create so many other religions, just to divide people and keep people guessing. Have one clear religious path for the world to follow would still be enough of a challenge for humans, and provide god with his chance to judge at the end.

i have to agree that there are so many religions and why doesnt god just make one religion. i guess he wants us humans to experiment and see what happens :D. y do you think ppl change religions?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
Nope I agree with Kanelli on this one. So humans and all the creatures on the earth, the earth itself are just puppets and toys to be played with? 'Oh dear, look they destroyed the earth, never mind I'll make a new one!'

Sorry, not buying it.

People have to take responsibility for their actions and live life! There maybe no afterlife, what are you going to do then? When it all goes black and there's nothing? Nada! Nowt! What a waste! You just spent your whole life, wasting time, bowing to the demands of some man-made nonsense.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 04, 2009
rudeboy wrote:earth is just a test. what matters is the judgement day.

I hate this kind of attitude. Billions of people wasting their lives around the world because they believe that by living under a set of laws created 'by God' (read: holy men making stuff up over thousands of years) they will get rewards when they die.

What about a reward now? The reward of living a fulfilling life.

Looking forward to death means neglecting today.

-----------------

As for the many religions around the world, if there is a 'one true God' then he is being very unfair. Say you grow up in a village in Papua New Guinea and you follow the religion that your parents did (worshiping the snake gods?) and you live a good life being kind to those around you and you don't hurt anyone and then you die one day.... Guess what? Sorry, but you had the wrong religion. You're going to burn in hell because you didn't know about Jesus or the Prophet Mohammed or whoever. Too bad.

And if someone says that because the poor villager lived a good life they get to go to heaven... then you prove that there is no point following religion because you can ignore it completely, live a good life and get in to heaven anyway. Perfect. That's what I do anyway. :-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Feb 04, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
rudeboy wrote:earth is just a test. what matters is the judgement day.

I hate this kind of attitude. Billions of people wasting their lives around the world because they believe that by living under a set of laws created 'by God' (read: holy men making stuff up over thousands of years) they will get rewards when they die.

What about a reward now? The reward of living a fulfilling life.

Looking forward to death means neglecting today.

-----------------

As for the many religions around the world, if there is a 'one true God' then he is being very unfair. Say you grow up in a village in Papua New Guinea and you follow the religion that your parents did (worshiping the snake gods?) and you live a good life being kind to those around you and you don't hurt anyone and then you die one day.... Guess what? Sorry, but you had the wrong religion. You're going to burn in hell because you didn't know about Jesus or the Prophet Mohammed or whoever. Too bad.

And if someone says that because the poor villager lived a good life they get to go to heaven... then you prove that there is no point following religion because you can ignore it completely, live a good life and get in to heaven anyway. Perfect. That's what I do anyway. :-)

you will get rewards based on your performance in your test. EVERYONE knows that :D come on. i would say good luck to the guys who worship snakes. they worship snakes yet they dont worship god hmmm a bit strange. you believe in snakes yet you dont believe in the god who made the snakes :S lol lots of confused ppl here.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
I try to live a good life and I am not afraid of death. I don't need an incentive like fire and brimstone vs clouds and angels to get me to behave on earth.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:I try to live a good life and I am not afraid of death. I don't need an incentive like fire and brimstone vs clouds and angels to get me to behave on earth.

ahan
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
kanelli wrote:So, we are toys for his amusement - "Hey, look what I created, let's see what they do to each other. I'll reward the good ones and punish the bad ones after they die." That doesn't sound particularly ethical. Why would a god create so many other religions, just to divide people and keep people guessing. Have one clear religious path for the world to follow would still be enough of a challenge for humans, and provide god with his chance to judge at the end.

your life is like a life of a toy? You don't value your life? And good ones should be rewarded same as bad ones?

As for too many religions that is property of freewill and free choice, people will have differences and some choices will be bad and some choices will be good, and they will have their consequences, there is no such thing as free meal :)

kanelli wrote:Have one clear religious path for the world to follow would still be enough of a challenge for humans, and provide god with his chance to judge at the end.

And it is not like that :lol:

kanelli wrote:I try to live a good life and I am not afraid of death. I don't need an incentive like fire and brimstone vs clouds and angels to get me to behave on earth.

It is nice, but not really relevant as far judgment and punishment is concerned; just as whether you don't do crime for fear of criminal punishment or not, but laws, judgment, and punishment are there.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums