God Delusion - Dawkins

Topic locked
Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 20, 2010
It amazes me how you manage to spin what Dawkins says - by only saying that Abraham did not sacrifice his son.

Err, yeah. But that wasn't the reason why Dawkins considers Abraham to be a religious fanatic - he considers Abraham to be a religious fanatic for the reasons described to you several times now.

duh.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

shafique wrote:I'm waiting for you to quote Dawkins on the subject. (All mouth, no trousers - again?). When you do, I may agree or disagree with his views on Abraham not sacrificing his son.

In the meantime, the questions to you remain:

shafique wrote:So, just to be clear - the two points we're waiting for you replies to are:

1. the list of attributes of God from the OT - do you disagree that the OT does show God acting in these ways?

2. the quote about how the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem being inserted to fit in with OT prophecies in the later Gospels (written perhaps a century after the events) - shows that the Bible is not a historical document. Do you challenge the facts presented?
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

event horizon wrote:It amazes me how you manage to spin what Dawkins says - by only saying that Abraham did not sacrifice his son.

Err, yeah. But that wasn't the reason why Dawkins considers Abraham to be a religious fanatic - he considers Abraham to be a religious fanatic for the reasons described to you several times now.

duh.
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 21, 2010
shafique wrote:I'm waiting for you to quote Dawkins on the subject. (All mouth, no trousers - again?). When you do, I may agree or disagree with his views on Abraham not sacrificing his son.

In the meantime, the questions to you remain:

shafique wrote:So, just to be clear - the two points we're waiting for you replies to are:

1. the list of attributes of God from the OT - do you disagree that the OT does show God acting in these ways?

2. the quote about how the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem being inserted to fit in with OT prophecies in the later Gospels (written perhaps a century after the events) - shows that the Bible is not a historical document. Do you challenge the facts presented?
[/quote]
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 21, 2010
event horizon wrote:
event horizon wrote:It amazes me how you manage to spin what Dawkins says - by only saying that Abraham did not sacrifice his son.

duh.
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 22, 2010
:mrgreen:

I'm not avoiding your question - I'm just waiting for you to post Dawkin's words about Abraham before I can comment on them. I said I may agree or disagree.

However, you seem to running away from his actual quotes which I've given. There's a pattern emerging eh!

You're not chicken are you eh?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

They are from a youtube video.
event horizon

Fair enough - post the youtube link and I'll watch and comment. You can do that in another thread - this one is about his book, 'The God delusion'.

My quotes are verbatim and referenced in full.

My questions to you remain unanswered:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Abraham and Isaac

In the Old Testament story of Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 22, referred to by Dawkins at pp242-43), God tells Abraham to offer his son for a burnt offering. Abraham builds an altar, prepares wood for a fire, ties Isaac up, lays him on the altar, and takes a knife to kill him. Only then, an angel tells Abraham not to harm Isaac, and Abraham sees a ram caught in a thicket; and Abraham sacrifices the ram instead of his son.

This story is apparently considered an example of meritorious sacrifice and obedience to God, carrying also the message that even if what God requires seems difficult to understand, God will make sure it turns out for the best. To my mind, its message about both God and Abraham is abhorrent, and has the potential for great evil.

About God, it says that God expects obedience to God’s command to kill an innocent child, where there is no discernable reason for this except that it would please God (!) to have the child killed and to have obedience shown in this way; that God expects followers to respect a God who would be pleased to have an innocent child killed for no better reason than this; and that God would without good reason subject an innocent child to a terrifying ordeal.

About Abraham, it says that he had respect for such a God to the extent that he would, on the basis of such a capricious order, kill an innocent child. And that is quite apart from the point that Abraham, as a human being with no more than our capacities for perception and reasoning, could not have had any reasonable basis for believing in the existence of a God who would have such expectations or issue such an order, or for believing that such an order had actually been issued to him.

Even if Abraham had seen a great face in the sky speaking to him and had heard the words spoken, it would have been more reasonable for him to believe this was a dream or hallucination than to believe that a God, conceived of as good, would have such expectations and would issue such an order. And even if Abraham was justified in believing that what he saw and heard was not a dream or hallucination, the reasonable conclusion for him to reach would have been that this supernatural phenomenon was a manifestation of evil not of good.

It’s been suggested that Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice the child he loved is admirable. But that assumes Isaac was Abraham’s to sacrifice; whereas in truth no person belongs to another in that way. It has also been suggested that killing an innocent child is not wrong if God has commanded it. But that assumes it is God’s command that makes things right or wrong; whereas, as I have argued, there would be good moral reasons to obey God’s commands only if morality had force independently of God’s commands. And this suggestion also ignores the point that human beings only have their perception and their reasoning to ascertain whether there is a God and if so what its commands are; and reason is strongly against there being a God who would issue such commands.

So this story is about a God unworthy of respect, and an Abraham who was prepared to do something grossly immoral, to kill an innocent child, for no good reason that he could have apprehended. And it has the potential to inspire great evil in its message, apparently accepted by some people today, that it is OK to kill innocent people if you believe God has told you to.

http://users.tpg.com.au/raeda/website/Dawkins.htm
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 23, 2010
Thanks, that wasn't too hard was it?

I disagree with his conclusions that Abrahams actions were abhorent:
To my mind, its message about both God and Abraham is abhorrent, and has the potential for great evil.

My view is exactly what he says religious people believe - i.e. that the action is:
considered an example of meritorious sacrifice and obedience to God, carrying also the message that even if what God requires seems difficult to understand, God will make sure it turns out for the best.

See - I addressed the quote and gave my opinion and my logic. The action he describes is indeed in the Bible and Quran (albeit different sons) - and his interpretation is valid for him, and the traditional religious one is the one he gives, and the one I subscribe to.

I also disagree with other parts of his book (his leap of faith when it comes to probabilities near the end of the book being the biggest one).

However, on the two quotes I gave, I do agree with him - the Bible does present God in the light he describes and the NT's history is as he describes.

So, now over to you - your turn to defend the Bible:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Fascinating - thank you for sharing your belief that you think tying your son up, putting him on an altar and drawing your dagger to sacrifice your son because 'God' told you so is a meritorious act.

See, you're not that different from al-Qaeda after all (not that we didn't know that already).

About God, it says that God expects obedience to God’s command to kill an innocent child, where there is no discernable reason for this except that it would please God (!) to have the child killed and to have obedience shown in this way; that God expects followers to respect a God who would be pleased to have an innocent child killed for no better reason than this; and that God would without good reason subject an innocent child to a terrifying ordeal.
event horizon

Happy to share my views about what Dawkins writes. I guess me and all Christians, Muslims and Jews are 'no different from Al Qaeda' for believing Abraham was not a nutter. Do you have a different view? (I know that I disagree with AQ on the killing of civilians - but you're more extreme than them on that point - you say it is ok to enslave virgins on top of this!)

However, are you ashamed of your views of what he says about the Bible?

Why else would you be avoiding the two quotes I've given and the questions about them?:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 24, 2010
shafique wrote:However, are you ashamed of your views of what he says about the Bible?

Why else would you be avoiding the two quotes I've given and the questions about them?:

Are you ashamed, or do you just have no answers?
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hey, I'm just pointing out that you said yourself that you agree with Dawkins:

It’s been suggested that Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice the child he loved is admirable. But that assumes Isaac was Abraham’s to sacrifice; whereas in truth no person belongs to another in that way. It has also been suggested that killing an innocent child is not wrong if God has commanded it. But that assumes it is God’s command that makes things right or wrong; whereas, as I have argued, there would be good moral reasons to obey God’s commands only if morality had force independently of God’s commands. And this suggestion also ignores the point that human beings only have their perception and their reasoning to ascertain whether there is a God and if so what its commands are; and reason is strongly against there being a God who would issue such commands.

I admit, I'm a bit surprised that you would agree with Dawkins. After all, Muslims are the ones who commemorate the day that Ibrahim unhesitatingly put his son on an altar because a voice in his head told him so.

I would imagine, that for Dawkins, this story in the Koran and Hebrew Bible is a perfect example of the type of wild fanaticism only found in the Muslim world.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:I admit, I'm a bit surprised that you would agree with Dawkins.

Well, you are the one that decided to quote Dawkins.

I make it a point to read a person's arguments and don't backpeddle and launch ad hominem attacks (but then again, perhaps that is because I tackle the arguments/views they have).

I do agree with Dawkins when he says that NT account of the Nativity are later additions - written to fit prophecies. I'm reading Richard Lane Fox at the moment - and he's the one who Dawkins quotes as a reference for the second quote.

For the first quote, the descriptions that Dawkins gives can't really be disputed when one looks at the OT descriptions of God. That's pretty clear now given your inability to tackle his quote head on, and your desire to rather criticise the Quran (which is a weird way of defending the Bible, if you think about it)

It looks like you have abandoned the Bible and won't defend it against Dawkins' observations. I've never abandoned the Quran - I guess that's another difference between us.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I didn't read your dawkins quote on the NT, but if Dawkins really did say the nativity story is an addition added several centuries later, then he is clearly out of his league to even be pontificating on the NT. Then again, Dawkins isn't a theologian or historian. And, unlike you, I've never quoted Dawkins on these subjects - only on what he has to say on British citizens who believe in creationism (Dawkins contradicts your belief that many British Muslims do not believe in evolution).

But, apparently, that means I'm back 'backpedaling'.
event horizon

Here's the quote again then:

shafique wrote:Ok, whilst you're working out the question above, here's the next quotation from the book.

This relates to general authorship of the Bible and cites one historical inaccuracy relating to where Jesus was born - quoted in full so that you can digest the context and let us know whether you agree or disagree with Dawkins well laid out argument:

The fact that something is written down is persuasive to people not used to asking questions like: 'Who wrote it, and when?' 'How did they know what to write?' 'Did they, in their time, really mean what we, in our time, understand them to be saying?' 'Were they unbiased observers, or did they have an agenda that coloured their writing?' Ever since the nineteenth century, scholarly theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are not reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world. All were written long after the death of Jesus, and also after the epistles of Paul, which mention almost none of the alleged facts of Jesus' life. All were then copied and recopied, through many different 'Chinese Whispers generations' (see Chapter 5) by fallible scribes who, in any case, had their own religious agenda.

A good example of the colouring by religious agendas is the whole heart-warming legend of Jesus' birth in Bethlehem, followed by Herod's massacre of the innocents. When the gospels were written, many years after Jesus' death, nobody knew where he was born. But an Old Testament prophecy (Micah 5:2) had led Jews to expect that the long-awaited Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

In the light of this prophecy, John's gospel specifically remarks that his followers were surprised that he was not born in Bethlehem:
'Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?'

Matthew and Luke handle the problem differently, by deciding that Jesus must have been born in Bethlehem after all. But they get him there by different routes. Matthew has Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem all along, moving to Nazareth only long after the birth of Jesus, on their return from Egypt where they fled from King Herod and the massacre of the innocents. Luke, by contrast, acknowledges that Mary and Joseph lived in Nazareth before Jesus was born. So how to get them to Bethlehem at the crucial moment, in order to fulfil the prophecy? Luke says that, in the time when Cyrenius (Quirinius) was governor of Syria, Caesar Augustus decreed a census for taxation purposes, and everybody had to go 'to his own city'. Joseph was 'of the house and lineage of David' and therefore he had to go to 'the city of David, which is called Bethlehem'. That must have seemed like a good solution. Except that historically it is complete nonsense, as A. N. Wilson in Jesus and Robin Lane Fox in The Unauthorized Version (among others) have pointed out. David, if he existed, lived nearly a thousand years before Mary and Joseph. Why on earth would the Romans have required Joseph to go to the city where a remote ancestor had lived a millennium earlier? It is as though I were required to specify, say, Ashby-de-la-Zouch as my home town on a census form, if it happened that I could trace my ancestry back to the Seigneur de Dakeyne, who came over with William the Conqueror and settled there.

Moreover, Luke screws up his dating by tactlessly mentioning events that historians are capable of independently checking. There was indeed a census under Governor Quirinius - a local census, not one decreed by Caesar Augustus for the Empire as a whole - but it happened too late: in AD 6, long after Herod's death. Lane Fox concludes that 'Luke's story is historically impossible and internally incoherent', but he sympathizes with Luke's plight and his desire to fulfil the prophecy of Micah.

[pg 92-24]

Are you ashamed of the Bible and can't defend it, or are you just too lazy?
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 25, 2010
shafique wrote:Are you ashamed of the Bible and can't defend it, or are you just too lazy?
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 26, 2010
event horizon wrote:I didn't read your dawkins quote on the NT, but if Dawkins really did say the nativity story is an addition added several centuries later, then he is clearly out of his league to even be pontificating on the NT. Then again, Dawkins isn't a theologian or historian. And, unlike you, I've never quoted Dawkins on these subjects - only on what he has to say on British citizens who believe in creationism (Dawkins contradicts your belief that many British Muslims do not believe in evolution).

event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 26, 2010
I guess you are ashamed of the Bible AND can't defend it.

All mouth, no trousers.

Again.

;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 28, 2010
event horizon wrote:
event horizon wrote:I didn't read your dawkins quote on the NT, but if Dawkins really did say the nativity story is an addition added several centuries later, then he is clearly out of his league to even be pontificating on the NT. Then again, Dawkins isn't a theologian or historian. And, unlike you, I've never quoted Dawkins on these subjects - only on what he has to say on British citizens who believe in creationism (Dawkins contradicts your belief that many British Muslims do not believe in evolution).

event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 28, 2010
So, 'yes' I can't defend the Bible but will rather launch an ad hominem attack against Dawkins.

Not only are you a tali-tubby, but you're a hypocritical tali-tubby to boot!

But, you aren't ashamed to be more extreme than Al Qaeda - but I did expect you to be ashamed that you couldn't defend the Bible. Or is it that you 'won't' defend the Bible?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 29, 2010
It's not an ad hominem 'attack' to point out that Dawkins is not a Bible expert and that he is laboring under misunderstanding of what the Bible really says.
event horizon

It is an ad hominem attack, by definition, because you are not attacking what he wrote about the Bible.

You haven't said whether this is because you can't or whether you won't defend the Bible.

Here's the valid point he makes again:

This relates to general authorship of the Bible and cites one historical inaccuracy relating to where Jesus was born - quoted in full so that you can digest the context and let us know whether you agree or disagree with Dawkins well laid out argument:

The fact that something is written down is persuasive to people not used to asking questions like: 'Who wrote it, and when?' 'How did they know what to write?' 'Did they, in their time, really mean what we, in our time, understand them to be saying?' 'Were they unbiased observers, or did they have an agenda that coloured their writing?' Ever since the nineteenth century, scholarly theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are not reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world. All were written long after the death of Jesus, and also after the epistles of Paul, which mention almost none of the alleged facts of Jesus' life. All were then copied and recopied, through many different 'Chinese Whispers generations' (see Chapter 5) by fallible scribes who, in any case, had their own religious agenda.

A good example of the colouring by religious agendas is the whole heart-warming legend of Jesus' birth in Bethlehem, followed by Herod's massacre of the innocents. When the gospels were written, many years after Jesus' death, nobody knew where he was born. But an Old Testament prophecy (Micah 5:2) had led Jews to expect that the long-awaited Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

In the light of this prophecy, John's gospel specifically remarks that his followers were surprised that he was not born in Bethlehem:
'Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?'

Matthew and Luke handle the problem differently, by deciding that Jesus must have been born in Bethlehem after all. But they get him there by different routes. Matthew has Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem all along, moving to Nazareth only long after the birth of Jesus, on their return from Egypt where they fled from King Herod and the massacre of the innocents. Luke, by contrast, acknowledges that Mary and Joseph lived in Nazareth before Jesus was born. So how to get them to Bethlehem at the crucial moment, in order to fulfil the prophecy? Luke says that, in the time when Cyrenius (Quirinius) was governor of Syria, Caesar Augustus decreed a census for taxation purposes, and everybody had to go 'to his own city'. Joseph was 'of the house and lineage of David' and therefore he had to go to 'the city of David, which is called Bethlehem'. That must have seemed like a good solution. Except that historically it is complete nonsense, as A. N. Wilson in Jesus and Robin Lane Fox in The Unauthorized Version (among others) have pointed out. David, if he existed, lived nearly a thousand years before Mary and Joseph. Why on earth would the Romans have required Joseph to go to the city where a remote ancestor had lived a millennium earlier? It is as though I were required to specify, say, Ashby-de-la-Zouch as my home town on a census form, if it happened that I could trace my ancestry back to the Seigneur de Dakeyne, who came over with William the Conqueror and settled there.

Moreover, Luke screws up his dating by tactlessly mentioning events that historians are capable of independently checking. There was indeed a census under Governor Quirinius - a local census, not one decreed by Caesar Augustus for the Empire as a whole - but it happened too late: in AD 6, long after Herod's death. Lane Fox concludes that 'Luke's story is historically impossible and internally incoherent', but he sympathizes with Luke's plight and his desire to fulfil the prophecy of Micah.

[pg 92-24]
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You're sawing the branch right underneath of you and you don't realize it.
event horizon

What, by asking you to address what Dawkins writes about the NT?

Can't see how. Can see that you are not addressing his points.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Really? You don't see how questioning the vigrin birth, Jesus performing miracles as later additions is sawing the branch from under you?

Are you really confused on that?
event horizon

It would only be sawing the branch if I quoted Dawkins on those particular subjects and said I agree with him.

However, what I quoted Dawkins on was the authorship of the Bible and the fabrications inserted about the events surrounding the birth of Jesus.

Is it that you can't or won't defend the Bible?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I thought you'd be open to my 'ad hominem' attacks.

I mean, you claim that every other person I quote from is an 'orientalist'.

Sauce for the goose!
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 30, 2010
Why would I join you in launching ad hominem attacks against someone you started a thread about to quote his views?

I didn't join you in your other weird views - eg on war crimes or Jewish and Christian terrorists.

So, is it that you can't or won't defend the Bible?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums