Dubai's Ticking Timebomb

Topic locked
Dubai's ticking timebomb May 03, 2006
I read that once again Dubai's exploited, improverished army of workers has been taking action. Last Wednesday 2,500 construction workers smashed buses and windows in the Marina area demanding higher wages and better conditions.

The response of a Labour Affairs official was interesting, telling them that if they don't like it they should get out of Dubai. Now two things spring to mind here:

1 Most of these poor buggers can't get out because their passports are kept and they spend most of their time trying to pay off the cash they were loaned to get a work visa.

2 This "Shut up or get out" mentality just ignores the fundamental point that what Dubai should be doing is trying to ensure that the very workforce that the city's enormous growth and prosperity is based upon should be treated properly and fairly. It is well known that thousands of these workers live in appalling, cramped camps, work long hours in sometimes dangerous conditions for a pittance of pay. And, in fact an estimated 880 foreign workers died in accidents on UAE construction sites last year.

Perhaps someone may start taking notice if they take their protest to the midst of tourist areas like the malls or beaches. This is not the first time there has been a riot among the workers and unless Dubai gets its act together and tries to ensure they get a fair deal, then I can only see more of this kind of protest.

It's a scandal and one that the Dubai authorities would like to keep swept under the carpet. But in this city of the Haves I can see the Have Nots increasingly trying to make their voice heard.

GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

May 03, 2006
It's already been taken note of, some papers outside the UAE have written scathing reports on the place and the way it treats people. Attitudes are changing towards the place and if they don't watch it, it'll end up getting a bad rep.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai's ticking timebomb May 04, 2006
GoodBai wrote:I read that once again Dubai's exploited, improverished army of workers has been taking action. Last Wednesday 2,500 construction workers smashed buses and windows in the Marina area demanding higher wages and better conditions.

The response of a Labour Affairs official was interesting, telling them that if they don't like it they should get out of Dubai. Now two things spring to mind here:

1 Most of these poor buggers can't get out because their passports are kept and they spend most of their time trying to pay off the cash they were loaned to get a work visa.

2 This "Shut up or get out" mentality just ignores the fundamental point that what Dubai should be doing is trying to ensure that the very workforce that the city's enormous growth and prosperity is based upon should be treated properly and fairly. It is well known that thousands of these workers live in appalling, cramped camps, work long hours in sometimes dangerous conditions for a pittance of pay. And, in fact an estimated 880 foreign workers died in accidents on UAE construction sites last year.

Perhaps someone may start taking notice if they take their protest to the midst of tourist areas like the malls or beaches. This is not the first time there has been a riot among the workers and unless Dubai gets its act together and tries to ensure they get a fair deal, then I can only see more of this kind of protest.

It's a scandal and one that the Dubai authorities would like to keep swept under the carpet. But in this city of the Haves I can see the Have Nots increasingly trying to make their voice heard.

This is excellent topic that not only needs to be discussed in here,but I think needs to be addressed all over the oil rich countries in the Gulf.
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

May 04, 2006
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 04, 2006
Unions in Dubai??? I doubt in my lifetime.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 04, 2006
Fayz, They're already in the process of setting up a Labour Union in Dubai. Plus they now have help lines to complain about companies which don't pay or provide proper facilities. This has as you can imagine already generate hundreds of calls and several companies have been fined and been brought to task over these issues, so it is working.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 04, 2006
my feeling though it is just a facade until things calm down in the global press.

But nothing would make me happier then being wrong.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 04, 2006
Ya fayz is right, its just a PR stunt. From what i read only nationals can vote lol .. how many national labourers do you know ? I dont remember the details but i remember reading an article about how this whole union thing is just a front to say "we have unions". I will try to look it up, it was in the gulfnews.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 04, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Ya fayz is right, its just a PR stunt. From what i read only nationals can vote lol .. how many national labourers do you know ? I dont remember the details but i remember reading an article about how this whole union thing is just a front to say "we have unions". I will try to look it up, it was in the gulfnews.

Heard that too....

Its just for looks... Like everything here in Dubai :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2006
The telephone numbers and taking action against companies not paying wages are real - several have been blacklisted, named and penalised in the past months.
The unions will be for Emiratis only AFAIK.
The new Minister of Labor (well, new last year I think) seemed to be more interested in labor issues and resolving them (Dr Khalfan I think?).
It's also partly prompted by the WTO review of the UAE trade laws and free-trade agreement talks with the US. Sheikha Lubna was in discussions in Geneva the past couple of weeks.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 09, 2006
Lionheart

WE AGREE on something at long last yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums