Dajjal - Surah Al Kahf

Topic locked
Dajjal - Surah Al Kahf Apr 11, 2012
As protection from the Dajjal (anti-Christ) a number of Hadith report that the Prophet, pbuh, said that Muslims should recite the first 10 verses of Ch 18, Al Kahf. Some also add the last 10 verses.

These verses can either be a magic talisman, or could be verses that Muslims should reflect on and implement, and that this will give us an indication of what the Dajjal actually is.

The verses are:
1. Praise be to Allah, Who hath sent to His Servant the Book, and hath allowed therein no Crookedness:

2. (He hath made it) Straight (and Clear) in order that He may warn (the godless) of a terrible Punishment from Him, and that He may give Glad Tidings to the Believers who work righteous deeds, that they shall have a goodly Reward,

3. Wherein they shall remain for ever:

4. Further, that He may warn those (also) who say, "(Allah) hath begotten a son":

5. No knowledge have they of such a thing, nor had their fathers. It is a grievous thing that issues from their mouths as a saying what they say is nothing but falsehood!

6. Thou wouldst only, perchance, fret thyself to death, following after them, in grief, if they believe not in this Message.

7. That which is on earth we have made but as a glittering show for the earth, in order that We may test them - as to which of them are best in conduct.

8. Verily what is on earth we shall make but as dust and dry soil (without growth or herbage).

9. Or dost thou reflect that the Companions of the Cave and of the Inscription were wonders among Our Sign?

10. Behold, the youths betook themselves to the Cave: they said, "Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!"

I don't believe in Magic Talismans (this is my personal belief). Therefore I believe these verses help Muslims understand the nature of the anti-Christ.

First, there is the reminder that Muslims should do good deeds and believe in Allah's signs. Then there is a warning against the belief that God has taken a son, and thirdly a warning that the worldly pleasures are a test for mankind.

These three taken together show that protection from Dajjal entails focussing on the spiritual, the teachings of Islam, and keeping away from Shirk - whether it is the Christian form of Shirk or the more pervasive form where we put material things ahead of the spiritual - consumerism ahead of spirtiuality, effectively making the pursuit of wealth and pleasure ahead of the worship of God (and in a way, this is shirk in my mind).

It does not make sense that the Prophet, pbuh, would have taught that these 10 verses are a protection against a giant being who rides a massive donkey and has one bright eye and one shrivelled eye. These verses do form a protection against the belief system of those who associate a son with Allah, and those who pursue worldly pleasures and wealth ahead of the spiritual.

What do you think? Nucleus said that he thought his understanding of these verses is probably different from mine. Now that I've explained my understanding, I'd like to hear whether there's a different understanding of these verses in relation to protection against Dajjal.

(I'm happy to stand corrected and have just given my views on the verse - I don't pretend that these views are definitive, and if there are more in depth explanations or even errors, I'll be happy to hear and change my views.)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Dajjal - Surah Al Kahf Apr 17, 2012
Why dajjal is anti christ? Dajjal is meant to be anti religion, muslims too were/are enforced to take their share of anti religion as well.. (laicism- secularist system of strictly secularist rulers)...

I dont think these verses have anthing to do with dajjal as surat al kahf was one of the earliest revelations of the quran. Allah is yet making more statements as to describe conditions of belief and none belief as truth out of falsehood repeatedly declared just before the history of revelations were coming to an end..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dajjal is described in Hadith as the anti-Christ - by definition. The Messiah will fight the Dajjal etc.

Berrin, you are right that the Dajjal is against religion etc - but by the same token, the Messiah's mission is to bring people back to religion and 'fight' for the side of religion.

As for Surah Al Khaf's recitation being a protection against the Dajjal - this again is in the Hadith. I can't see why such an instruction would be fabricated - and given that there are a number of such hadith, I think the question asked in the OP is valid - i.e. in what way do these verses of the Quran protect us against the Dajjal and does this lead us to uncover what the Dajjal actually is or represents?

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Dajjal is described in Hadith as the anti-Christ - by definition. The Messiah will fight the Dajjal etc.
I am not aware of that hadith shafique,any web link to that hadith?. Who is that messiah? Is it jewish description of messiah? or muslim description of the mahdi?
shafique wrote:As for Surah Al Khaf's recitation being a protection against the Dajjal - this again is in the Hadith.
again any link or reference to it please? An instruction of this sort wouldn't of course be fabricated, solely based on the content of the whole of quran warning against disbelief..
shafique wrote: i.e. in what way do these verses of the Quran protect us against the Dajjal and does this lead us to uncover what the Dajjal actually is or represents?
I think every spirituality starts with belief in a one and only creator, and then it is a matter of time taking interest to make sense out of what has been revealed in the form of revelations or the chain of revelations.. Once you work out to stand on the right path, than every verse of that scripture becomes a part of your life to fight against corruption as part of disbelief, I wouldn't burden it on solely one chapter in order to take responsibility and precautions tho..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin,

Here's a link of Hadith relating to Dajjal, with references:

http://muttaqun.com/dajjal.html

The long one from Sahih Muslim describes the Messiah coming and fighting the Dajjal, and also there are the Hadith about Surah al Kahf being recited as protection.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sahih Muslim:

So he (Prophet PBUH) said: I harbour fear in regard to you in so many other things besides the Dajjal. If he comes forth while I am among you, I shall contend with him on your behalf, but if he comes forth while I am not among you, a man must contend on his own behalf and Allah will take care of every Muslim on my behalf (and safeguard him against his evil). He (the Dajjal) will be a young man with twisted, cropped hair, and a blind eye. I compare him with AbdulUzza ibn Qatan. He who among you will survive to see him should recite over him the opening verses of Surah al-Kahf (xviii). He will appear on the way between Syria and Iraq and will spread mischief right and left. O servant of Allah! Adhere (to the path of Truth).

But authenticity of hadith are a tricky subject and dajjal wasn't found in the earliest of hadith collections. These collections of sahih hadith were complied 300 to 600 years later.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums