Is Consuming Alcohol And/or Pork Offensive For Muslims?

Topic locked
Is consuming alcohol and/or pork offensive for Muslims? Mar 23, 2008
Not sure whether this belongs to in general or here....anyways I posted it here. My question is whether seeing someone drinking alcohol or eating pork is offensive to Muslims. Until recently I didn´t think so, when I have a Muslim as a guest for dinner here I always ask whether it is OK I will have a wine with steak. I always got the answer "sure, no problem, religion is all about choice". Never tried this with pork though. In Holland I noticed Muslims do get offended when I have my beer in their presence, let alone pork. So is it or isn´t it offensive???

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 23, 2008
In your country quite frankly, too bad, tough luck, it's not a muslim state. IMHO

Well I've never come across anyone being offended to be honest, and lets face it many muslims here do actually drink alcohol, you see it everyday.

Never had any issues with pork, but obviously if your in a closed environment then the smell is quite distinctive, so I wouldn't do it.

But as you have already stated, most just say it's their choice and makes their conviction stronger in the face of temptation.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2008
Just seeing someone drink or eat pork should not be offensive (it isn't to me).

I have a problem with non-alcoholic beer and pretent-pork products - what's the point! :) [ This is just a minor rant - I don't see the point in pretend meat either, if you're a veggie - eat vegetables! ]

Culturally most muslims find eating of pork distasteful/disgusting - so it transcends a religious injunction. Most Europeans would be disgusted at the thought of eating a cat or a dog, or at the sight of people eating what they know to be a cat or a dog (or for many Brits, a horse) - this is similar to the feelings a Muslim will have vis-a-vis people eating pork.

I don't know many Muslims who would be offended at people drinking in a bar etc - so context matters here.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2008
can i just say eating horse in france was one of the best steaks i ever had.

i yearn for another horse steak.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2008
shafique wrote:I have a problem with non-alcoholic beer

So do I, most of them taste like crap. I still wish bars here would serve non-alcoholic beer though.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 25, 2008
ehhehe most of the muslims drink beer and alchol so how would it be offensive to them hehehhe!!!!!

mind u i can cope with the beer on the table but never pork hate the smell of that yuck :S .
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
It all depends on the people you are dealing with. Irreligious libertine wouldn't mind it one bit. In fact, he might as well join you for a drink.

A religious person, will definately object on the drink issue, as Muslims should not be present where alcohol is served or consumed. Semi-religious do find it offensive to be where alcohol is served or consumed, but may not have the gutts to say so.

As for the pork, it is indeed distasteful and may cause your guest to abstain from eating. Muslims should not use utensils used for pork, or use the same grill where pork is cooked.
Habib
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
Okay, I get the pork thing: donot eat pork in front of a Muslim. Concerning alcohol I am confused now...for some its offensive, for others not...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
it depends on the muslim person u with. with me its ok others dont like it while with some its alrite.

its like curry some like it some dont like it cos of the smell :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums