REVIEW - STAR WARS - Revenge Of Sith (2005)

Topic locked

DID you love this movie?

Yes, I loved it!
100%
Was average movie
No votes
Nah, I hated acting of Hayden
No votes

Total votes : 2

REVIEW - STAR WARS - Revenge of Sith (2005) May 22, 2005
United States, 2005
U.S. Release Date: 5/19/05 (wide)
Running Length: 2:20
MPAA Classification: PG-13 (Violence)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Cast: Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel L. Jackson, Jimmy Smits, Frank Oz, Anthony Daniels, Christopher Lee, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, James Earl-Jones (voice)
Director: George Lucas
Producer: Rick McCallum
Screenplay: George Lucas
Cinematography: David Tattersall
Music: John Williams
U.S. Distributor: 20th Century Fox

The saga is complete. What George Lucas began in 1977 as a little movie that took the box office by storm, he has completed in 2005 with the most heralded motion picture of the year. With the arrival of Revenge of the Sith, Lucas places the missing piece of the six-film arc that tells of the rise, fall, and redemption of Darth Vader. It's a rousing and tragic sendoff to a beloved franchise, and the best installment in the Star Wars series since 1980's The Empire Strikes Back. If this is to be the last big-screen installment of the space opera, Revenge of the Sith ushers things out on a high note. Those who have disparaged the previous two prequels (1999's The Phantom Menace and 2002's Attack of the Clones) will find few things to complain about this time around. Lucas has delivered the film that Star Wars fans have been yearning for.

Revenge of the Sith exhibits its writer/director's strengths and weaknesses for all to see. Lucas, who can at best be described as a journeyman writer of dialogue, delivers plenty of clunky lines. And the romance between Padme (Natalie Portman) and Anakin (Hayden Christensen) is as forced here as it was in the previous installment, the sincere efforts of the actors notwithstanding. Nevertheless, although weak in specific areas of screenplay-writing, Lucas is a masterful storyteller. That aspect of his creativity is in evidence here as he spins a tale as compelling as any Greek or Shakespearean tragedy: a man who attains power only after sacrificing everything dear to him, including his soul. There is bitter irony in Anakin's situation: by embracing the dark side of the Force, he loses the very thing he seeks to protect.

Revenge of the Sith starts out a little unfocused. While there's plenty of action in the first hour, the direction of the storyline is uncertain. By the time the film has reached its halfway point, however, and Anakin's moral compass has been shattered, the picture picks up a momentum that never flags. We are kept on the edge of our seats for over an hour. Those who doubt Lucas' ability as a filmmaker need only watch the second half of Revenge of the Sith to be convinced otherwise.

The movie's tone grows grimmer as the film wears on. This is not a happy movie. Even the victories are tinged with bitterness. There is an element of catharsis at the end, but it's only a taste. Salvation is left for the next chapter. How many people, I wonder, will return from seeing Revenge of the Sith and immediately pop A New Hope into the DVD player. It's almost a necessity. Revenge of the Sith offers little in the way of optimism. I applaud Lucas for taking this route and having the courage to believe that Star Wars fans can accept all of this darkness.

Regardless of how Revenge of the Sith is received at the box office, it represents the conclusion to an unparalleled cinematic achievement. Finally, after 28 long years of waiting that were only occasionally punctuated by the appearance of new story fragments, Lucas has ended with an exclamation point. The tale of a galaxy long ago and far away is complete. Only now can we truly step back and admire the full tapestry that it has taken George Lucas and his ILM wizards nearly three decades to weave.

© 2005 James Berardinelli

sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2005
MY REVIEW

I saw the movie today and was pissed how the hall was packed and some guys emulating chewbacca. There were some funny flaws like lord sith knowing darth strangling nathalie and natalie naming her twins. Lucas just made sure he could fit in the story with 1977 Star wars. Good thing was that Anakin character acted better than the previous one. It had many cool effects. Well next Lucas is planning to make six episodes 3D. Opps did I tell u guys I have difficulty seeing 3-D stereographic images? I had hard time in photogrammetry labs.

MY RATING

8/10 -Best thing were music, graphics, story & direction.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2005
Did you guys hear about the TV episodes that they will be making for the Star Wars franchise?

I hope they will not be going overkill with this like the cash greedy bastards at Paramount did with Star Trek.

PS - Enterprise RIP. You rocked last season!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2005
Liban wrote:Did you guys hear about the TV episodes that they will be making for the Star Wars franchise?

I hope they will not be going overkill with this like the cash greedy bastards at Paramount did with Star Trek.

PS - Enterprise RIP. You rocked last season!!!

You are right. They spoiled Star Trek series big time. It was so bad that once I sprayed my ketchup on the TV (it was my freind's TV :lol: ). Anyways I loved Gene Roodenbury's series.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 23, 2005
sniper420 wrote:Well next Lucas is planning to make seven episodes 3D. Opps did I tell u guys I have difficulty seeing 3-D stereographic images? I had hard time in photogrammetry labs.

Should be 6 episodes. He's doing the two current trilogies with this new 3d technology, not the old skool one with the red/green glasses thing, so maybe you can watch it anyway. ;)

/PreRoll
PreRoll
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2005
PreRoll wrote:
sniper420 wrote:Well next Lucas is planning to make seven episodes 3D. Opps did I tell u guys I have difficulty seeing 3-D stereographic images? I had hard time in photogrammetry labs.

Should be 6 episodes. He's doing the two current trilogies with this new 3d technology, not the old skool one with the red/green glasses thing, so maybe you can watch it anyway. ;)

/PreRoll

Oh yeah? what kind of technology is that?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2005
I thought Revenge of the Sith was pretty good. It answer alot of questions I had, and it wasn't gay like the first two. They should have murdered Jar Jar Binks horribly though!!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2005
Thought it was awesome, really enjoyed it.

thought he turned a bit too easily, but it did wrap up loys of questions, and Yoda is da man with the lightsabre. Cool fighting from the little fella.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 11, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:I thought Revenge of the Sith was pretty good. It answer alot of questions I had, and it wasn't gay like the first two. They should have murdered Jar Jar Binks horribly though!!

what questons did it answer?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2005
sniper420 wrote:
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:I thought Revenge of the Sith was pretty good. It answer alot of questions I had, and it wasn't gay like the first two. They should have murdered Jar Jar Binks horribly though!!

what questons did it answer?

Pumpkin always asks himself why he never found his soul mate. Upon seeing Anakin turn into Darth Vader he said to himself, Eureka I found my dominatrix master. Then he said out loud... Yes Darth Vader use the dark side of the force to jam that light saber in my a$$... Yes yes yes... Yes move it around in there, YESSSSSS!!!

That was one of the questions in answered sniper...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2005
Thanks for that stunning observation Lybia..or Liban.

How the Emperor got to be in power was one.
How the Jedi were wiped out was two.
Why Obi-wan and Yoda hid where they did was three.

What I still didn't figure out was if the prophecy they refer to was misread about Anakin being the one?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jun 13, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Thanks for that stunning observation Lybia..or Liban.

How the Emperor got to be in power was one.
How the Jedi were wiped out was two.
Why Obi-wan and Yoda hid where they did was three.

What I still didn't figure out was if the prophecy they refer to was misread about Anakin being the one?

it wasnt misread . It was saidhe would balance the power that means god and bad jedis would be wiped out and he did wipe out the bad emperor in 6 except for his son. Image
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk