Movies You Cannot Afford To Miss

Topic locked
Movies You Cannot Afford to Miss Aug 03, 2009
Name:-

Genre:-

Your Thought's on the Movie:-

And do post in regional titles as well Italian, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi etc As long as there are subtitles, we'll be fine!

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
Blood Diamond

Action ( Civil War Theme)

Exciting and Compelling, yet even more than that. Set in Sierra Leone the underlying theme is conflict diamonds from the region. The three main protagonists a journalist, a smuggler and and a native, exploited worker all come in contact which each other owing to these disamonds, yet each has his own reasons. Through the length of the movie you're constantly intrigued and the action never stops. Yea the action isn't a sporadic or delinked from the story. It's all seems like a natural succession. This is one powerful film. The shooting style is intense, mixing action with heart-wrenching drama with Leonardo DiCaprio's faux South African accent and Hounsou's convincing performance.

Perfect for a movie night with beer and friends.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Romantic Comedy

Captures the nature of true romance, with just enough slapstick (a Greek invention) to make you laugh out loud. The actors...bring out an attractive, warmhearted simplicity in each character. Above all, they portray a close, loving family, the film's ultimate and lasting virtue.

Watch it cozying up with someone special, or after a hard days work. A perfect feel good remedy!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
Well, good post.

European:
37,2 La Matin (French)
Masculin, féminin: 15 faits précis (French)
Mirror (Russian)
Time of the Gypsies (Yugoslavia)
La Dolce Vita (Italian)
Drowning by Numbers (English)

American:
Cabaret.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
American Beauty.
Requiem for a Dream.
Pulp Fiction.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 04, 2009
The Dreamers

It's Bernardo Bertolucci's style of cinema

Operating on several levels, the film is at once a celebration of the $exual revolution embraced with a celebration of cinema as a new cult an alternative to religion, when movies mattered and going to the Cinematheque Francaise was like going to church.
Bertolucci and Adair have made a beguiling tribute to the glorious waywardness of youth.Focus exclusively on the movie's brazen, occasionally gratuitous $exuality and you'll miss a whole other level of pleasure.

Watch it alone or with a like- minded companion. With someone
like-minded it does pave the way for heated, maybe insightful all night talkathons.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 17, 2009
SuperBAd

Teen Comedy

Can you effing believe this, Canadian laugh riot Seth Rogan wrote this script with a chum when he was all of 13.
The geek with no chance of scoring but in movies has been a staple of comedies forever. Here the geek of today is McLovin, the reason why this movie packs in enough laughs to make ur tummy ache.
What makes this movie work is the metrosexual relationship between the two leads that stays fresh and sweet right through the movie.
To many Superbad may not be much more than a teen comedy, but let me assure you this is th best teen comedy of the decade maybe?
Oh and how can be forget McLovin, long after we've forgotten Oscar winners, we'll still remember McLovin, Mintz-Plasse aces the role.
Like all cult movies it takes a combination of an array of factors to make it work, one of those is the script. It's perfect, it captures the nuances of adolescence pat down to the last e.

To sign off a line by Evan:- "Just imagine if girls weren't weirded out by our boners and stuff and just like wanted to see them...That's the world I'd one day wanna live in" :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2009
The Bicycle Thief
Italian drama

42nd Street, Gold Diggers of 1933, or Footlight Parade

Musicals with human kaleidoscope choreography. Good if you don't like musicals no one breaks into song. It's about staging a Broadway production so the song and dance is only within the context of rehearsals and final stage productions. The stage productions couldn't really be done on a real stage only in a movie because of the kaleidoscope choreography.

This is utterly beautiful. It gets very lovely at 2 minutes. It's basically half-naked girls synchronize swimming making kaleidoscopes. The kaleidoscope part really starts at 5 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=707VxB-e ... re=related
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 09, 2009
kill bill,
it is all about revenge
roni
Dubai Forum User

Sep 21, 2009
I forgot to mention 2 realy breath-taking movies.

"Breaking the waves" by Lars von Trier. A piece of Art I think.

"Fargo" based on real story but very good plot, characters and acting. Brilliant!
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 21, 2009
Fargo is gerat

I wanna suggest a movie from the same director as Fargo, "Miller's crossing"

I think it's for 1990
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 28, 2009
Brazilian movie - City of God. Amazing movie.
kmann
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford to Miss May 01, 2010
Once (2007 or 2006)

Romantic Musical

This very indie romantic musical is in one word spellbinding. It comes off as honest and pure and the two leads are simply brilliant.
The movie based in Ireland revolves around two musicians and how their love for music enables them to stand by each other during trying times. Watch it for the screenplay, fantastic soundtrack, and because this is not your typical run of the mill Hollywood musical.
BTW rottentomatoes gave this movie a 98% rating.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford To Miss May 02, 2010

Spartans vs Persians

Top athletes against lame oil peasants. :D
West vs East people. Sparta!! Wooo Wooo Wooo ;)

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford to Miss May 02, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:Once (2007 or 2006)

Romantic Musical

This very indie romantic musical is in one word spellbinding. It comes off as honest and pure and the two leads are simply brilliant.
The movie based in Ireland revolves around two musicians and how their love for music enables them to stand by each other during trying times. Watch it for the screenplay, fantastic soundtrack, and because this is not your typical run of the mill Hollywood musical.
BTW rottentomatoes gave this movie a 98% rating.

thanks MCL for recommending Once, I really enjoyed it!

that s the movie u can not afford to miss????
Yeah that s the only way u can defeat us! in cartoons and lame lies!!!

U really need to read more anout history and Cyrus the great...
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford To Miss May 02, 2010
lol, I tinkled a Persian here. ;)

Forgive me hon, but 300 is a classic. Mythical proportions. Excellent movie.
RobbyG

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford to Miss May 03, 2010

u should look up the words classic and excellent, or maybe ur taste in movies is not developed! (like ur other senses) :lol: :lol:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:

u should look up the words classic and excellent, or maybe ur taste in movies is not developed! (like ur other senses) :lol: :lol:

Indeed, just as classical as you are Persian, hon.

Honing my senses again. Touché. 8)
RobbyG

Quick lesson for you, to learn about history

and you should learn about Cyrus the Great, which has been shown gay in ur favortie movie! that movie is an insult not just to persians but to humanity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZnzBu8 ... re=related
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

300 is an awesome movie ! and for sure one of my favs AWOO ! 8) 8) 8) Must have watched it a dozen times if not more. The Narration is brilliant, the backdrops breath taking ( although CG ) Gerad Butler excellent overall nothing negative to say at all. Even if the movie was grossly histrocialy inaccurate ( which it isn't ) I couldn't care less. It tells an amazing story through Narration, Action and visual and thats what a good movie is all about.

Andf btw its not about Cyrus but Xerxes, Leonidas and the battle of thermopylae, oh yeah and the poor imortals who had a can of serious spartan whoop @ss opened up on them :mrgreen:

Btw Brilliant Snare Rob, hook, line and sinker :D

And mel sorry doll you walked right into it ;)
desertdudeshj

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford To Miss May 03, 2010
Who says this is my fav. movie. Its just 'a mythical movie' you cannot afford to miss. ;)

King Leonidas against Xerxes the Great.
Sparta against Persia.

I'm with Leonidas hon. What were you thinking! I ain't supporting no gayman from Persia. Hell no!
Besides, where in the movie was Xerxes shown to be gay? I never saw the guy buttmunching his immortals. :D
RobbyG

I'm with Leonidas hon. What were you thinking! I ain't supporting no gayman from Persia. Hell no!

When did I even imply that u are supporting Persians?
Are u on those cookies??

Besides, where in the movie was Xerxes shown to be gay? I never saw the guy buttmunching his immortals

He was shown as a man with lots of piercing and feminine style in that jibberish cartoon of yours, that is gay!
and as u can refer to history, none of the Persian kings looks like that! U can refer to those videos above to LEARN about the history.

Enjoy your cookies, cartoons and fake stories!

Enough said!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Two days ago I rewatched "Sophie's choice". The movie is based on the novel of Styron. The story is rather interesting - some sort of ménage à trois in Brooklin in 1947 but play of Meril Strip is not so autentic to situation despite Academy award.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:Two days ago I rewatched "Sophie's choice". The movie is based on the novel of Styron. The story is rather interesting - some sort of ménage à trois in Brooklin in 1947 but play of Meril Strip is not so autentic to situation despite Academy award.

Now this is truly gay. Pardon me french, SoChie (f)s choice. :lol:

-- 03 May 2010, 20:46 --

melika969 wrote:

Are u on those cookies??

Besides, where in the movie was Xerxes shown to be gay? I never saw the guy buttmunching his immortals

He was shown as a man with lots of piercing and feminine style in that jibberish cartoon of yours, that is gay!
and as u can refer to history, none of the Persian kings looks like that!

Are you having an off day again, Princess?

You might wanna change that slipper in your undies, cause you're dripping like a wildcard hon. :wink: :D
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:Now this is truly gay. Pardon me french, SoChie (f)s choice. :lol:

:!: It's transmittable disease. You should go to the doctor together with your buddy Desert ASAP. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

You jealous Chief? Stop rewatching Sophie's Choice. You had enuff already. ;)
RobbyG

Re: Movies You Cannot Afford To Miss May 04, 2010
RobbyG wrote:You jealous Chief? Stop rewatching Sophie's Choice. You had enuff already. ;)

:shock:
Me? Well, don't come to me... Let's speak from distance. No let's stop speaking.... Gay... Gay... Gay... :lol:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

^^^Ignoring a character from Sophie's Choice.^^^
RobbyG

Which character are you talking about? Nathan?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Is there another jealous figure other than Nathan? Nope. So yes, its Nathan. :D
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
Red Chief wrote:Two days ago I rewatched "Sophie's choice". The movie is based on the novel of Styron. The story is rather interesting - some sort of ménage à trois in Brooklin in 1947 but play of Meril Strip is not so autentic to situation despite Academy award.

Now this is truly gay. Pardon me french, SoChie (f)s choice. :lol:

-- 03 May 2010, 20:46 --

melika969 wrote:

Are u on those cookies??

and as u can refer to history, none of the Persian kings looks like that!

Are you having an off day again, Princess?

You might wanna change that slipper in your undies, cause you're dripping like a wildcard hon. :wink: :D

the cookies gone bad huh?? Or maybe u got the newcastle disease (only chickens get that!!)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk