Dubai Music Scene

Topic locked
Re: Dubai Music Scene Jul 21, 2011
Cough..bit..cough...torrent...cough. Ahem excuse than nasty cough. Better software you say ? :D
Anyways Icenick ( think he's been run off the forum ) was saying Ableton is pretty nifty, haven't used it myself so can't say.

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

:lol:
That would require space on my computer, and countless hours of waiting for the...umm...Software to 'arrive'

I haven't used Ableton Live yet too, I'll be sure to check it out though if I can get a new computer. I'm actually a little pleased with my software (I forgot that I got an update last week and it's been running wonderfully since then). I use Mixcraft, which is good since it's not too complicated for someone with no engineering or producing experience (or knowledge) to use.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Good things ( or in this case software ) shall come to those who are patient ;) Try waiting for a 40gb Blu Ray to "arrive" :D

I used Magix Music Maker in the past and its pretty funky, also has video functionality so if you wanted to release "videos" of your tracks to put up on youtube etc etc it does that aswell.

-- Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm --

BTW would you consider the sound track from Tron Legacy as somewhat drone-ish ? I think most of it pretty decent.
desertdudeshj

Dayum, 40 GB? I don't think I'd be able to wait, I'd probably try to spring up some cash and just get it...I'm pretty impatient :p

Oh yeah I've heard of that, I'll check it out...I'm not really a 'video' person, but that sounds interesting.

Nah that's not really drone, it's more electro/score music. Drone is a really vast term that I would find incredibly hard to explain, it's best if I show you :)

Btw, which instrument do you play? Or are you an engineer?
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Dubai Music Scene Jul 22, 2011
I dunno just too weird for me and not something I'd listen to if I wanted to listen to music if you know what I'm saying. Like I said earlier most of it would make a good movie soundtrack.

As for your other question. I'm bit of both or atleast used to be. I played the drums, did some sequence composing, little bit of remixing, little bit of DJ'ing nothing on a professional level mind you, although tired to cut a record once but back in the day there wasn't much going on here musically, if you think today is underground back in the day was a nightmare. You'd had to stretch yourself to get a gig at a wedding party or battle of the bands ! :D

As for now, might tie up with a new record lable friend is starting up if I see any potential there.
desertdudeshj

Re: Dubai Music Scene Jul 22, 2011
Yeah it's an odd genre, I haven't met anyone in Dubai who's a fan of Drone and/or Post-rock yet. It seems as though I'm the only elitist here :lol:

Wow, that really does sound like a nightmare. :p I'm currently trying to get involved with GYEM (Global Youth Empowering Movement) to maybe further expand the music scene here, and maybe even start a band or something.

There probably is potential in a record label in Dubai, it seems as though there might be high demand for that nowadays with so many bands/artists looking to get signed and not enough indie labels etc.
cw71017
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Dubai Music Scene Oct 06, 2013
I am so glad I found this thread.

I'm moving to Dubai in 2 weeks to start an Audio Production course at the SAE Institute, and I've been DYING to see if there are actually any musicans that don't just play your average crap. (I've been stuck in Doha and Oman for the past 7 years, and the best thing I've seen there is ametuers going overboard with fuzz on Smells like Teen Spirit)

I myself play guitar, however I'm pretty crap at it, seeing as I only started 3 years ago, and I'm a righty with a left wrist that never fully healed after I fractured it on both sides last year. But whatever, I'll say it's part of my "artistic flare".

I would LOVE to start a band really stands out from the crowd, and hopefully the course I'm taking will allow me to use the studio in my spare time.

Anyways, I hope this thread comes back to life soon enough, I'd be interested to know if much has changed since 2011
BrannanDurden
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk