Rosetta Stone: Anyone Used It And Does It Work?

Topic locked
Rosetta Stone: Anyone used it and does it work? Nov 10, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has used this software and what they thought the results were.

I mean if it's good enough for Michael Phelps to learn Chinese, then I figure it has to be decent for me to learn Arabic!

PS I am easily influenced by marketing campaigns ;-)

-Mike

Mdmaiorano
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Rosetta Stone: Anyone used it and does it work? Dec 22, 2008
salam
Abdel-Wahid
Dubai Forum Visitor

self teaching audio books Jan 04, 2009
Which is better? Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, or any other? Is there anyone here who has done their homework?
lakedipper
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 18, 2009
i am not sure how others compare since i have not tried them but rosetta is very good. i have used it to learn hindi, tagalog etc. very effective. but you must spend time in those countries practicing the language.
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 02, 2009
Personally, I tried the Rosetta Stone software. I will say it's not bad, but it is not for learning a language as they claim it's for. The software is the same for all languages, but it translates the same words and phrases in different languages. They are not culturally aware in the software - for example, they have "paper towels" in Russian, but paper towels are pretty much unknown in Russia, so that's useless. As far as I know, they haven't changed the system for the Euros in the European languages. There is no help in learning how to create your own sentences, you have to guess at grammar....

Michael Phelps learned Chinese with Rosetta Stone - but that's just a marketing gimmick. When speaking with him, his knowledge was actually a few words and phrases to barely get by in Chinese. It's all about marketing.

Like I said, personally, I really don't recommend Rosetta Stone for learning a language unless you're a complete beginner and just want a headstart before getting into true learning.
seanlyoung
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 26, 2009
I was wondering about the Rosetta Stone program too. I appreciate all the feedback this post has received. I have been going back and forth trying decide between which is the best program..other than hiring a - certified translator that is...

Thanks again!
:)
jonismith
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jul 02, 2009
The thing about online language learning softwares is that it doesnt suit everyone. some people learn much better when in an actual live group.
If Rsetta Stone does suit your fancy you should buy it from the Eton Institute website ww.eton.ac as they are authorized dealers for it here in Dubai and it turns out a lot cheaper thn buying directly from Rosetta Stone.
Also be sure to try out the free demo on the rosetta stone website so you know for sure whether you like it.
faraheton
Dubai Forum User

posting in Arabic learning ForumForum Rules

Return to Arabic learning Forum