Arabic Speakers Required

Topic locked
Arabic speakers required Mar 28, 2008
I need some help in the Religon section from Arabic speakers...

the Quran uses the word 'ankihoo' and this is translated as 'Marry!' and Lane (the lexicon) defines this as the imperative form of Nikah (nKH) which is marriage.

Despite this, a person is saying 'ankihoo' is the equivalent of 'fxxk' rather than 'Marry!' - and that the translators and interpreters have glossed over the literal meaning.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Salam Mar 29, 2008
Akhy Shafiq!

U can read this thread to refute this silly allegation

http://www.rudood.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=318[/url]
masrisy
Dubai Forum User

Mar 29, 2008
Assalamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

The word "Nikaah" (Nikaa7) is the noun for the verb Nakaha (Naka7a) which means he married, thus Nikaah means marriage. Prophet Shu'aib said to Prophet Moses, may the peace & blessings of Allah be on both: (I want to (Unkihaka) one of these two daughters of mine), as in the Holy Qur'an, which means I want to give you in marriage one of my two daughters. But if this guy is ignorant in Arabic, then there's nothing you can do about it. Subhanallah.
Habib
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Salam Mar 29, 2008
masrisy wrote:Akhy Shafiq!

U can read this thread to refute this silly allegation

http://www.rudood.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=318[/url]

how is this going to help? it's in arabic and the problems is we dont know Arabic.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
with my very little knowledge of Arabic, I thought nekah means marriage as it is widely believed.

but the guy in the other forum pointed to this verse:

العادة السرية أو الاستمناء أو ناكح يده حرام عند جمهور العلماء لقوله تعالى {وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمْ لِفُرُوجِهِمْ حَافِظُونَ

nakeho yadehe- cant mean marrying his hand.

What is the exact translation of this line?
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
spoonman - according to Lane, if Nikah is applied to a man and a woman, it means 'marry'.

If it is applied to man and his wife - then it means 'sleep with'.

Similarly, I guess, if applied to man and inanimate/inhuman object - eg. he married a goat, it means beastiality?

Primary meaning is 'marry' (and marry includes the concept of marital relations).

As we're being crude - this is no different from English where a word can change meaning depending on context. Take the F word - 'He f...ed him up' - does not mean he slept with the guy, but he beat him up.

'He f...ed up' does not mean he had s.e.x - but he made a big mistake.

He f...ed her - does mean he slept with her.

Now, let's take a non-profane word - screw.

He screwed with his head - means he confused him/baffled him etc.

He screwed her - he slept with her.
He screwed it down - he did a bit of carpentry.
He screwed up the paper -... well you get my drift.

The point is that Lane has loads of entries for nkH - nikah and shows extensively what it means. It is not a profane word as used in the Quran.

There is another lexicon of Arabic that is widely quoted - but I forget the name, something like Lihsan e Arab? Can someone look up nikah in that?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 29, 2008
The custom of the Arabs, as well as the Qur'an, is to use terms softer and more polite in referring to unwanted words. For example: Allah [swt] says:

أَوْ لامَسْتُمُ النِّسَاء فَلَمْ تَجِدُواْ مَاء فَتَيَمَّمُواْ صَعِيدًا طَيِّبًا
It literally means, if you've touched women ..... but the intention is to say if you've made love to women, and found no water ....

Likewise in the case of "Nakihu Yadihi", it does not mean whoever marries his hand, rather it refers to what marriage leads to, of sexual relief. Therefore, the prerequisite for Tafseer is for the interpreter to be fluent in Arabic, acquainted with the Arabs' use of words, grammer, poetry, history etc.

And Allah knows best.
Habib
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
Habib,

Thanks - this makes sense.

It also applies in English too. To say 'marital relations' is a softer, more polite way of saying 'have s.e.x' - and in for example saying 'he made love to his hand' or 'he is married to his hand' will be understood in English as well as Arabic .

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 30, 2008
You're welcomed akhi :)
Habib
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Arabic learning ForumForum Rules

Return to Arabic learning Forum